IGNORED

Aphex Twin interview 2011 @ Sonar

Herr Jan

it's really funny how the same dudes who call *me* a stalker are the same dudes whose IP addresses turn up in my referral logs.
:cerious:

and how do you connect said IP addresses with particular posters here? that comment makes absolutely no sense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkDD03yeLnU

^Maybe? I dunno.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
it's really funny how the same dudes who call *me* a stalker are the same dudes whose IP addresses turn up in my referral logs.
:cerious:

and how do you connect said IP addresses with particular posters here? that comment makes absolutely no sense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkDD03yeLnU

^Maybe? I dunno.

nah, i bet mboom uses tracer t

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXmv8quf_xM

http://xltronic.com/mb/91850/0

honestly, I feel bad for him, for reasons i'm not going to go into

I think you should, but it's clear you wouldn't.

You can read this as some half-arsed attempt to draw you out anyways, against better judgement.

I'm actually interested to hear the reasoning. If it's the privacy argument, I'd say his ex deserves at least as much privacy as he does. And there's a difference between posting some emotional posts on some forsaken forum, and making "cynical jokes" about your ex in the El Pais. I don't think I feel any sorry for him (apart from the image he has created for himself - which he has and which is his responsibility).

Also, wacko jacko and tricky dicky were sitting on a similar tree....

that thread's way old!

What I posted is indeed way old, but it seems to be enlightening none the less. If you choose to believe it, it says a lot about his character. That is all.

I eagerly await new music from him. I'd go as far as to say RDJ is my favorite musical artist. I feel for him and the divorce thing. I'd imagine it was quite a stresser. Also, he knows that whatever he releases is going to be examined immediately, and thoroughly. Also, think about it, he hasn't released an Aphex Twin album since 2001. 10 years, and imo it's a masterpiece that hasn't been surpassed by anyone. I'd imagine it's a lot of pressure to outdo yourself. I'd be apprehensive about releasing anything too, especially if I didn't have to. The Tuss releases were brilliant though. Fuck it. Rich, if you are reading this, give us a bone man, please. I'm a little drunk. :blush:

Guest hahathhat

aphex twin is a virtual character/persona created by Riced Out Industries and later sold to grant water closet of rephlex rekkidz. there was a threat about it but it got deleted

He sure has them but there is a huge difference between having some unfinished or mediocre tracks you are not willing to release or 5 finished awesome LPs with no miss at all. Every artist has many unfinished tracks he works on. That's how production works

Very true, though he may be the exception - he's said in this interview that he leaves some of his best work unreleased. So it would be the other way around - instead of mediocre tracks he's unwilling to release, they're mindbendingly great ones. That is, unless he's lying about it (though he seemed honest enough about that one.)

I'm just waiting for those new albums. After much thought and reading this interview, I finally feel like I understand why he's had such a gap in releasing new material these past 5 years. Personal problems like the ones he's describing would hinder anyone from putting much out there, and I'm impressed he's even been able to actively play sets as well as he can. But then, he's one of the best for a reason...

So, he's talking crap most of the time, except when it comes to unreleased material and the amount of soon to be released material? He's a man of many exceptions, no doubt.

If there is some truth to his best work being unreleased, it's probably because he has an idea of the difference between what his potential audience would like and what he himself likes. What?

First off, it's his personal, non-objective opinion about his own work. Second, does it really make any sense to not release your best work, but only release things which are "OK"?

At this point I'd argue he hasn't made much work he thinks is worthwhile to release. And if it's worthwhile, he'd release it under new pseudonyms (like we've seen already). Just to keep all the expectations out the door.

If he released his most innovative music out there then it wouldn't sound new for long, which seems what he tries to say, specially since everyone would copy it as they always do. Look how old Synthacon 9 is from the first sets he played it on, there's some truth in his bs pr speech.

anything is possible. Stuff he has played out proves this. I personally (after reading a bunch of hipster magazines at the mall today) Love how anti everything Rich and Autechre and all these dudes are. Anti persona, Anti image. Most of all, Anti Hipster. No cute faced skinny jean mussed up hair videos. Its all image-less evil and fuck image. I like it. Its refreshing.

anything is possible. Stuff he has played out proves this. I personally (after reading a bunch of hipster magazines at the mall today) Love how anti everything Rich and Autechre and all these dudes are. Anti persona, Anti image. Most of all, Anti Hipster. No cute faced skinny jean mussed up hair videos. Its all image-less evil and fuck image. I like it. Its refreshing.

it's just another kind of image/persona and worse of all "hipster"

;p

There's a pretty big difference between how Sean/Rob present themselves in the media and how RDJ presents himself. I think Richard's well-cultivated ginger trickster god/tankdriver schtick is a little old. Or maybe I'm just a little old. Maybe I just don't like tanks.

Whatever. However he wants to conduct himself in interviews is his bidness... generally. Don't wish the guy anything but the best and I hope he's happy. I'm not really interested in his personal life beyond wanting to hear "I'm in a artistically productive place and working on stuff" or "I've got shit going on, so probably not going to release anything soon" (although I wouldn't be unhappy to read that he's doin' just fine, lifewise, because, hey, that's great!)... but there's too much noise for my RDJ BS filter to point one way or another.

I get a little touchy with the divorce shit. It's horrible for everyone. I'm sure it's horrible for him. I'm sure it's horrible for his wife. It always is, and there's always two sides, and it really sucks when there's children in the mix. They get it the worst. I wish parents would understand this and try to put up a civilized front, but we're all just human. Rubs me the wrong way to see "bitch took mah money" in an interview mostly because I grew up hearing my dad say "bitch took mah money" when most of that money was just buying me underwear and school lunches and keeping the roof from leaking. But, hey, everybody huuuuuuurts. Sometimes.

I actually didn't know he had a kid or kids before this thread. Wait, does he? Nevermind, don't care. Unless he gets his kid to play the GX-1 on some heretofore unreleased track, which would be awesome.

Guest hahathhat

except for the fact that it's all lifted off drexciya and such.

I'm well aware that the "OMG stalker!" comments are about 95% projection because hey, it's really funny how the same dudes who call *me* a stalker are the same dudes whose IP addresses turn up in my referral logs. Their little crushes on me are kinda flattering, in a creepy teenboy kinda way.

a delusional narcissist too, wow, you just keep tickin them boxes dontcha

This thread is a little bit awesome - cause there's a hint of new music from one of my favorite composers.

It's mostly just a clusterfuck though.

To the guy who thinks that being against copyright means thinking all music should be free - learn what copyright actually is.

To Masonic Boom - if you don't want to be seen as a weird stalker - change your avatar. Jesus - look at that fucking thing.

As to the divorce thing, who gives a fuck. Maybe he said it with a laugh, maybe it's not true at all. Who cares - fucking enjoy the music. This idea that an entertainer should be some sort of moral guidepost is fucking ridiculous.

It's really weird that I came about to hop into this rut of a genre and its closely related genres. It's either I was already in that mindset and that's why I fell here, I fell here and then got the same mindset, or a little of both.

I don't know. :facepalm:

This thread is a little bit awesome - cause there's a hint of new music from one of my favorite composers.

It's mostly just a clusterfuck though.

To the guy who thinks that being against copyright means thinking all music should be free - learn what copyright actually is.

To Masonic Boom - if you don't want to be seen as a weird stalker - change your avatar. Jesus - look at that fucking thing.

As to the divorce thing, who gives a fuck. Maybe he said it with a laugh, maybe it's not true at all. Who cares - fucking enjoy the music. This idea that an entertainer should be some sort of moral guidepost is fucking ridiculous.

Fucking lol.

Guest Masonic Boom

it's just another kind of image/persona and worse of all "hipster"

;p

Yeah ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this times 100.

If you don't think that these guys' images are as carefully constructed and controlled as one of Madonna's conical bras, you are completely naive.

Awww, look. The little dudes are actually trying to *neg* me. Isn't that sweet? Protip, guys: if you don't want to look like *you're* the ones with the creepy crush, don't follow a girl round a board hollering her name and posting her picture, OK? That PUA shit don't work like it does in the movies. And it's fucking BORING to everyone else on the board.

About the "600 unreleased tracks" I think that goDel is probably closest to the truth. Artists are never the best judges of their own work. An artist's personal favourite tracks are not necessarily the ones that are the most popular, in fact, musicians often seem kinda perplexed as to which tracks the public respond to. (I can think of so many artists who end up hating their biggest hits.) He's said "I keep the best stuff back" but he's also, previously said that his friends used to pick which of his huge output to actually release.

I've said it before, but possibly not on this board, that the times when he doesn't seem to exercise that kind of discernment is when you get stuff like Analords, which is such a mixed bag. It's such a huge flood of music that sometimes like it seems there wasn't so much quality control on it. The best tracks on Analords are absolutely amazing, and up there with anything off RDJ or Drukqs, but there's an awful lot of demos, half-finished ideas - I hate to say "filler" because even RDJ's filler is about 10x better than most artists, and it's still interesting to hear it, because it seems to give insight into his working technique.

But the idea that his unreleased backlog contains, like, another Ageispolis or another 54 Cymru Beats as opposed to Not Disturbing Mammoth 8, 9 and 10 is totally RDJ self-promotional myth-making.

But hey, that's his image and people clearly respond to it, so more power to him for it.

Guest Masonic Boom

it's Not Disturbing Mammoth 1 & 2 and they're both fucking wicked - some of his best stuff IMO. love that bass.

Ah, to each their own, I guess. I change my mind every time I listen to them which tracks I like and which I don't. But I guess that's the point. I sometimes think there's a lot of filler on Drukqs, too, but for every time I've had to skip Avril 14 or whatever, there's someone who is all "OMG that's my favourite song EVAH."

Do you blame him for disliking his fanbase? If I spend too much time on watmm, I start to hate us, too

er, but you're like by far the worst offender.

For what? Making cock jokes and saying he has pretty hair?

I'm just saying, that the level of stalky bullshit and personal hostility that I've had from this board, for the crime of being a silly fangirl that likes to make cock jokes- if that's the level of projection and aggression people here treat me, for *liking* him, I can't imagine how much worse people treat him, for *being* him.

Didn't you claim to write some kind of aphex sexual fanfiction or was that just a bad joke?

Guest Masonic Boom

Do you blame him for disliking his fanbase? If I spend too much time on watmm, I start to hate us, too

er, but you're like by far the worst offender.

For what? Making cock jokes and saying he has pretty hair?

I'm just saying, that the level of stalky bullshit and personal hostility that I've had from this board, for the crime of being a silly fangirl that likes to make cock jokes- if that's the level of projection and aggression people here treat me, for *liking* him, I can't imagine how much worse people treat him, for *being* him.

Didn't you claim to write some kind of aphex sexual fanfiction or was that just a bad joke?

Dude, I hate to break your brain, but there have been entire Aphex Twin fanfiction *communities* on LJ and elsewhere. Why, do you want an invite? Or you can search on A03, you might get lucky, don't know if the other authors are still active.

I fail, however, to see what on earth fan *fiction* has to do with "stalking". Unless you don't actually know what FF is.

Now maybe you can stop the Mary Whitehouse pearl-clutching and we can go back to discussing the interview?

I'm still trying to imagine what RDJ + Kate Bush would sound like. I don't feel like this concept has been entirely processed yet.

Archived