IGNORED

Actress - Ghettoville

Redruth

Guest Zelmo Swift

dunno i tried giving this music a fair chance but it didn't really click.

trying this again right now and find it's okay at best. i mean come on. this is kind of like trying to walk into andy stott territory but stumbles and falls down face first into a poo and doesn't get up again.

I have to call apples and oranges on this.

Andy Stott is super serious in his approach, whereas it's pretty clear Actress is a lot more playful and wide-ranging in his approach.

I like the fact that he releases little sketches and loops. It's fun and atmospheric and evocative.

I am refreshed by electronic artists that take a more "punk" approach to music-making than the traditional OCD shut-in vibe.

I am refreshed by electronic artists that take a more "punk" approach to music-making than the traditional OCD shut-in vibe.

Exactly.

i went to see actress live, why? because some people (here and outside the computer) said that he's so good. but it was very boring, just like the records. uninspired. "really? am i standing here listening to this? oh look, that hipster there just cheered because an arpeggio started."

this is not "punk" at all! fuck you! it's shite!

i went to see actress live, why? because some people (here and outside the computer) said that he's so good. but it was very boring, just like the records. uninspired. "really? am i standing here listening to this? oh look, that hipster there just cheered because an arpeggio started."

this is not "punk" at all! fuck you! it's shite!

Actress live was incredible for me , very hypnotic and boneshaking bass dont be such a hater man !

really waiting for some news on this. actress is somehow punk, but that's easily misunderstood. for me, 2 of 3 times i've seen him live (actually just a DJ laptop set) was pretty shit.

whereas it's pretty clear Actress is a lot more playful and wide-ranging in his approach.

I like the fact that he releases little sketches and loops. It's fun and atmospheric and evocative.

i dont think people are complaining about his approach necessarily, they just don't think the music is very interesting or note worthy considering how many people seem to praise him. For me it seems like an obvious case of right place right time, the music does not stand up on it's own. I will give it points for not jumping directly into a particular scene or style, it's playful and unconventional.

I put him in a similar category to Haxan Cloak, that among a lot of the newer 'weird' stuff that's well marketed, both of them seem to be channeling a different aspect of Industrial music vibes than most other people are (unlike Vatican Shadow, Raime, Demdike Stare). They both seem to have an affinity for sort of a more colorful aspect of what's normally a dark musical genre, if i were to take a guess I hear a lot of Coil inspiration in both. A little mid period aphex inspiration in Actress as well.

Edited by John Ehrlichman

Guest oldenjon

I put him in a similar category to Haxan Cloak, that among a lot of the newer 'weird' stuff that's well marketed, both of them seem to be channeling a different aspect of Industrial music vibes than most other people are (unlike Vatican Shadow, Raime, Demdike Stare). They both seem to have an affinity for sort of a more colorful aspect of what's normally a dark musical genre, if i were to take a guess I hear a lot of Coil inspiration in both. A little mid period aphex inspiration in Actress as well.

Are we listening to the same Artist? I don't hear anything specifically industrial in Actress' music, nor would I ever compare him to the Haxan Cloak.

Nothing about Actress says "dark" or industrial to me, whereas with the Haxan Cloak the "darkness" and the references to industrial music are obvious.......

is there still no news on the offcial release date? Not fancying the chances of this making it out before new year but still hopefull

Pretty sure the Big Issue thing is a piss take! For people who dont know Big Issue is a UK mag sold by the homeless to raise money

Edited by kirm

actress is fluffy, playful and inspiring, with a bit of a dark shadow maybe. these qualities r what i enjoy, along with the misshapen corners

Edited by Redruth

is there still no news on the offcial release date? Not fancying the chances of this making it out before new year but still hopefull

Pretty sure the Big Issue thing is a piss take! For people who dont know Big Issue is a UK mag sold by the homeless to raise money

i'm enjoying the uncertainty

Yeah... That's pretty ghetto.. ville

Are we listening to the same Artist? I don't hear anything specifically industrial in Actress' music, nor would I ever compare him to the Haxan Cloak.

Nothing about Actress says "dark" or industrial to me, whereas with the Haxan Cloak the "darkness" and the references to industrial music are obvious.......

I'm not really using 'industrial' to mean dark music, which is why i specifically mentioned Coil, which is what Actress brought to mind when i first heard it as well as Haxan Cloak. So what i'm saying is I'd rather these new artists be mining music like Coil than music like Muslimgauze (ie Vatican Shadow). Its just an era of 2nd wave industrial music I like more

Edited by John Ehrlichman

Guest oldenjon

The playfulness and unconventional approach is one thing that draws me in yes. I could be wrong, but I feel like most of the negative attention is fueled by the opinion that too many of his tracks don't resolve, or seem to go anywhere in particular, and in a way that's probably the biggest selling point to me. Like Ambient or Drone, I'm drawn to the atmosphere and headspace that he evokes. But there's definitely a dichotomy between this and the beat-oriented, and instantly gratifying aspects of his music. The way I see it, Actress is essentially ambient music in effect, just not in execution. I think the new OPN is getting the same treatment from naysayers.

Edited by oldenjon

Guest Zelmo Swift

The playfulness and unconventional approach is one thing that draws me in yes. I could be wrong, but I feel like most of the negative attention is fueled by the opinion that too many of his tracks don't resolve, or seem to go anywhere in particular, and in a way that's probably the biggest selling point to me. Like Ambient or Drone, I'm drawn to the atmosphere and headspace that he evokes. But there's definitely a dichotomy between this and the beat-oriented, and instantly gratifying aspects of his music. The way I see it, Actress is essentially ambient music in effect, just not in execution. I think the new OPN is getting the same treatment from naysayers.

I agree with you on Actress being ambient rather than structured and dynamic, but I think 0PN is pretty deliberate in structure and dynamics, especially his more recent work.

I think the similarity in people's grievances with these artists is that they are exploring territory which is both alluring and perplexing. It doesn't have the comfort of being in a recognizable format.

I think this gives some people the impression of it "not quite making it," or being half-baked.

Guest Zelmo Swift

He just posted a link to an mp3 called Manuel. The album metadata says "GHETTOVILLE PREMASTER 1"

There's fake arpeggiated acoustic guitar that reminds me of "No Scrubs" by TLC, but the chords are melancholy and ditressed.

It's 3 minutes of the same little figure.

No percussion.