IGNORED

Actress - Ghettoville

Redruth

Guest oldenjon

Mostly liking this. It is a bit all over the place: There are some housey tracks that are more straightforward than anything I've heard from Actress, and a very odd vaporwave track at the tail end of the album. It doesn't really work against the album, at least not to my ears, but it does seem to change course somewhere around the middle. There's definitely some gold on the album though. Love the squeaky wobble of "Corner", "Birdcage" is great, "Our" sounds like R.I.P., and the ambience is top notch as always. Definitely worth having in your collection

Guest trananhhung

Ok. I'm kind of getting it now. It's just not as melodic as RIP and that's what put me off at first. He's still the most interesting electronic producer at the moment to me and deserves his own subforum. Get rid of muziq and ceephax and add this guy.

Get rid of muziq and ceephax and add this guy.

read the rules. There is a reason both of those artists have subforums, they are proven iconoclastic producers in their field with a long body of work to back it up. Actress has neither. Not to mention there are possibly 100 other electronic producers who probably deserve a subforum more than Actress does based on many different criteria. To name a few: Coil, Mouse on Mars, Pan Sonic, Two Lone Swordsmen, Drexiya, Team Doyobi, Oval, Fennesz, etc, etc

Edited by John Ehrlichman

This album is seriously good. Lots of shinning moments, lots of great songs and moods, especially digging the second half, a lot of the songs I didn't like on my initial listen are now proving to be my favorites which is typical for me of his work

Well, Grey Over Blue is on the japanese release of Ghettoville as bonus part.

Apart that I am really thinking getting the box- I have a lot of love for Actress left (for reasons John already stated) and the first LP would be a nice extra. I am aware that the price is really high for an item like that. Even a smaller package would have been good but it seems Actress sends you out an art testament in itself for his then abandoned moniker. Not the baddest way to leave……

Ok, I think this is the first Actress release I totally get - R.I.P. had some gems that Ghettoville doesn't come close to, but on the other hand some songs were just terrible for my taste. Ghettoville sounds much more unified. Will listen some more for sure.

well that's just like, your opinion man. Some of us think it's fucking great. Rule alone is worth at least 2-3 facemelts per day. I dont see this album changing many people's opinions on actress though.

Not as instant-hitting for me yet, there are elements I like in Ghettoville especially in the 2nd half.

The track 'Image' feels like it's gonna break into a Matthew Wilder song. I think I've ruined it haha:

I'm gonna keep on moving with this record though!