IGNORED

What TV series are you watching at moment?

Npoess

Just started in on "The Night Manager". First episode was pretty decent. I'm a sucker for Le Carre anyways, and love most of his stuff that's been translated into screen (I pretend the Brosnan version of "the Tailor of Panama" doesn't exist).

Recommended.

I'm quickly making my way through 30 Rock and mostly loving it. Had seen a fair amount on syndication a fee years ago, but actually watching it in order really makes the contrast between seasons and styles obvious. A great sitcom so far, if very rooted in its time period (aren't most great sitcoms though?)

sent using magic space waves

i'm surprised there isn't more about Peaky Blinders on here, it's really awesome, season 3 just started. though this is coming from a yankee doodle, perhaps opinions are different overseas.

only things missing are Black Sabbath & Slade

how could they not give Ozzy a part somewhere?

just to hear his mumbling dulcet Brummie tones would add a deeper layer of authenticity, or Noddy Holder ffs in a top hat n flares

It's Always Sunny season 11 is on Netlix UK now. The finale of the court episode had me in tears. The show is definitely way more off the wall than it used to be but I still really dig it.

I watched The Stand miniseries last weekend. many flaws but I still enjoyed it overall, not least as a 90s artifact. (edit: I fucking died at the scene in which Trash blows up the hangar and then flees on an ATV while screaming I'M SOOOOOOOO SORRRYYYYYYYY!! Trash for President.)

it has further deepened the love/hate I have for Stephen King's stuff. I mean, shit, he is really terrible in some ways. dated (unlike other writers who attempt a certain timelessness, his writing always reads like it's from the same 60s/70s/80s continuum), hacky, awful plot resolutions, weird clashes of tone that don't make any sense. and I've grown to really hate the God stuff he injects into his stories, that's the worst of all. I think the religious angle is partly the reason he's won such an enormous readership. it's like edgy writing for Midwestern housewives.

but in spite of all that, he has some great ideas sometimes. it's like Lovecraft and pulp horror/scifi comics, shit writing carried entirely by some cool ideas. (yes that's what I think about Lovecraft too, so sue me.)

Edited by usagi

^ yeh steven king is p hit-n-miss; mostly miss lol, esp. the sheer mass of recent ghost written pulp.

but 'salem's lot', 'pet cemetery' & a bunch o' short stories frm 70's, 80's rly hit the spot imo - because of his deep connection w. an everyday reality & the possible horror(s) lurking within dat reality, told as spun out yarns of unassuming prose concerning believable characters w. hectic plot development. agree that 'the stand' novel was p good 2 - save 4 all religious/fantasy hoo-hah. haven't seen any tv or movie versions of his books, save 4 kubrick's 'the shining' which just slays the book upon which it wuz based imo. anway off topic soz; bak 2 telly...

is Geordie Shore for real, or a mockumentary of the US show? What's a Geordie anyway

It's as "real" as Jersey Shore was and Geordies are people from Newcastle, a great place to be a drunk and horny 19 year-old.

Edited by doublename

i'm surprised there isn't more about Peaky Blinders on here, it's really awesome, season 3 just started. though this is coming from a yankee doodle, perhaps opinions are different overseas.

it's good, but it's got that ultra-stylised, bearded bro, well-kempt 'heavy metal' gentleman sheen, kind of IN YOUR FACE.. with traces of steam punk and repeated blasts of fire exhaust, emanating from gritty industrial factory vibe.. saturated colors, like super filter instagram crap. otherwise it's watchable

Black Sails kind of embraces a similar aesthetic, but it's not so well-hewn

just discovered Silicon Valley, shit is hilarious. need more

Yeah agree with all of the above, never seen black sails though.

Anyway is there any recent Sci-Fi worth watching? I've seen the expanse. Tried a couple of other shows, but nothing really seemed worthwhile.

Edited by Gocab

I watched The Stand miniseries last weekend. many flaws but I still enjoyed it overall, not least as a 90s artifact.

yes. i have a thing for this series as well. it kinda starts out well with the virus or slowly affecting everyone except gary sinise and company. i though rob lowe's character was interesting but the randall flagg and abagail freemantle characters take this into a semi-silly universe and the overall execution is lackluster at best.

one thing i realized about stephen king is that everything of his that has been adapted (except misery and thinner), exists as a much better film/story.

Watched all of Veep over the last few weeks. Lots of fun witty banter with a nihilistic core. The newest episode about her mother's death was great, maybe the best yet.

The wire. Right about 10-15 years late, still fuggin good.

@braintree - Silicon Valley is genius, I just wish it would just all come out so I can spend days watching it.