IGNORED

What TV series are you watching at moment?

Npoess

21 hours ago, xxx said:

Ho paisan! I visited Oahu in December but no such luck for me. It would be hard not to call him a ball-busting nickname. That was so mean when Adriana had ulcerative colitis and he greeted her with "ay, my smelly Valentine".

There were a lot of profound Christopher things, like when he sees that married couple with their kid at the gas station and the look of terror on his face. I saw him at Kelley O'Neil's, a pub near Waikiki beach and said hey, shook his hand. The bartenders said they wished they could have done that but because of work policy, they couldn't. Oahu is pretty dope in general. Otherworldly vibes.  

• Like 1

Diving into the Expanse after a few different recs from friends. Really enjoying it, I would always love more hard sci-fi over straight action scenes and stuff but even those parts are done in a compelling way. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, joshuatxuk said:

Diving into the Expanse after a few different recs from friends. Really enjoying it, I would always love more hard sci-fi over straight action scenes and stuff but even those parts are done in a compelling way. 

first time i tried to watch it i thought it was atrocious, with that cold cheap color grading and that film noir detective and his lame hat... 2nd time i gave it a chance and ended up watching everything and enjoyed it a lot... season 3 gets mental, good show! still downloading season 4 and can't wait to watch it...

• Like 1

^ Yeah as I watching that I thought "oh this was on ScyFy, I forgot" and the same could be said of much of the knockoff Blade Runner dystopian vibe of Ceres, aesthetic tropes that have been recycled and regurgitated to oblivion. The Belters actually reminds me a lot of those on Mars in the original Total Recall film. Either way that part is clearly serving as a part of the greater plot which I find a lot far more fascinating. 

If it wasn't the rave reviews I've heard from friends whose tastes I trust I would have likely skipped it. I've read many compare it to the Mars Trilogy which is another great endorsement. Instead of just vague "big corporation bad / oppressed masses good" there appears to be more fleshed out parallels to class struggles and competing ideologies on Mars and Earth (I assume, only on episode 4)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, joshuatxuk said:

^ Yeah as I watching that I thought "oh this was on ScyFy, I forgot" and the same could be said of much of the knockoff Blade Runner dystopian vibe of Ceres, aesthetic tropes that have been recycled and regurgitated to oblivion. The Belters actually reminds me a lot of those on Mars in the original Total Recall film. Either way that part is clearly serving as a part of the greater plot which I find a lot far more fascinating. 

If it wasn't the rave reviews I've heard from friends whose tastes I trust I would have likely skipped it. I've read many compare it to the Mars Trilogy which is another great endorsement. Instead of just vague "big corporation bad / oppressed masses good" there appears to be more fleshed out parallels to class struggles and competing ideologies on Mars and Earth (I assume, only on episode 4)

It really mirrors peak 90s SF TV in that each season improves on the previous one by several orders of magnitude. Quite frankly astonished it lasted as long as it did on SyFy but I guess they were fairly desperate for another BSG and/or a GOT-type “prestige” genre show.

Of course that same network also cancelled Dark Matter, which looked like it cost about $100 per episode, so go figure. 

• Like 1

Locke & Key on Netflix was good fun.  Felt like Stranger Things vs. Harry Potter.  Binged the shit out of it which made work and driving places go by hella-fast.  May even re-watch the whole first season just so my wife can catch it.  Don't expect anything too brilliant though-- I still found it rather enjoyable.

MV5BNjZkNzY4M2ItOWY0Ni00Y2ViLWE1NjItOTIyYzZjMzg5M2E1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTkxNjUyNQ@@._V1_.thumb.jpg.2219cdb4add15e3a39310416b30396a9.jpg

Edited by lyst

12 hours ago, lyst said:

Locke & Key on Netflix was good fun.  Felt like Stranger Things vs. Harry Potter.  Binged the shit out of it which made work and driving places go by hella-fast.  May even re-watch the whole first season just so my wife can catch it.  Don't expect anything too brilliant though-- I still found it rather enjoyable.

MV5BNjZkNzY4M2ItOWY0Ni00Y2ViLWE1NjItOTIyYzZjMzg5M2E1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTkxNjUyNQ@@._V1_.thumb.jpg.2219cdb4add15e3a39310416b30396a9.jpg

On my watchlist... 

Btw does anyone follow this? 

Edited by Tim_J

1 hour ago, lyst said:

Indeed.   Set my smart phone on the dashboard and watch film or tv occasionally while driving.  Probably not safe but I’d say I keep my eyes on the road mostly and listen to what’s going on. 

returning to watmm just to inform you you're a retard

• Like 1

I said I mostly just listen to it lol.   Kind of like a book on tape?   If you think I’m fucking staring at it how could that even be possible?!?  Wouldn’t I be in a ditch after 1 minute....

The amount I actually see is similar to the amount of time you take to change a song or radio station or look at the clock while driving.  Aka a passing glance.   Jesus.

10 hours ago, KovalainenFanBoy said:

returning to watmm just to inform you you're a retard

Thats quite nice of you mate.  Cheers.  

Edited by lyst

Idk I thought the first two eps were great. The third was kinda scattered but still showed promise. As with Discovery, keep in mind that literally all 90s Trek shows took at least 3 26-episode seasons to become great (TNG, DS9) or at least watchable (VOY). Picard arguably has the best pilot episode in the entire fucking franchise.

10 hours ago, Lada Laika said:

Idk I thought the first two eps were great. The third was kinda scattered but still showed promise. As with Discovery, keep in mind that literally all 90s Trek shows took at least 3 26-episode seasons to become great (TNG, DS9) or at least watchable (VOY). Picard arguably has the best pilot episode in the entire fucking franchise.

yeah the writing so far has been super good. i think it's OK to give this away- the backstory for how picard became disenchanted with the federation is so well-balanced and believable given his character, the ST universe, it's really impressive. and THE FORMULA of impossible problem-crew works out solution- tech the tech-solution, being stretched is great. there seem to be some explicit nods to  in the most recent ep so i'm curious to see how it plays out. heh, i'm smitten ?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lada Laika said:

i actually thought the opposite. i loved 'encounters at farpoint'.
i cannot stand 'picard' with this last episode being the last straw for me. i dislike everyone besides maybe picard- but i also don't buy that he's at it again. also- who was that romulan kid he met? and the other romulan legolas wannabe? and why did that planet where he wakes up in just look like something from star wars? i honestly cannot even think of 1 thing i enjoy about picard. 

Encounter at Farpoint was a decent episode, compared to most of the rest of season 1, which was almost entirely terrible (I still enjoyed it despite that on my recent re-watch, but compared to the subsequent stuff it's bad). Picard has definitely been better than most of S1 of TNG. In fact it's been pretty good so far, the first couple of episodes were very good I thought, last two less so, seems to be running out of steam a bit, and the writing on the last episode was patchy (I enjoyed the stuff with Picard, the rest not so much). Hopefully they're mostly done with the setup now (though I think we may have 1-2 more eps of that yet, we still have the Riker and Troi cameos to "look forward to", I hope Sirtis has remembered how to do the accent this time).

the Romulan kid was the legolas Romulan, this was very obvious, how did you miss that? the planet looked nothing like a star wars place either, not sure where you got that from. I think your brain has been scrambled by all the godawful trash you watch and you now incapable of consuming media in a normal manner.

Edited by caze
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, caze said:

Encounter at Farpoint was a decent episode, compared to most of the rest of season 1, which was almost entirely terrible (I still enjoyed it despite that on my recent re-watch, but compared to the subsequent stuff it's bad). Picard has definitely been better than most of S1 of TNG. In fact it's been pretty good so far, the first couple of episodes were very good I thought, last two less so, seems to be running out of steam a bit, and the writing on the last episode was patchy (I enjoyed the stuff with Picard, the rest not so much). Hopefully they're mostly done with the setup now (though I think we may have 1-2 more eps of that yet, we still have the Riker and Troi cameos to "look forward to", I hope Sirtis has remembered how to do the accent this time).

the Romulan kid was the legolas Romulan, this was very obvious, how did you miss that? the planet looked nothing like a star wars place either, not sure where you got that from. I think your brain has been scrambled by all the godawful trash you watch and you now incapable of consuming media in a normal manner.

1 hour ago, Nebraska said:

i actually thought the opposite. i loved 'encounters at farpoint'.
i cannot stand 'picard' with this last episode being the last straw for me. i dislike everyone besides maybe picard- but i also don't buy that he's at it again. also- who was that romulan kid he met? and the other romulan legolas wannabe? and why did that planet where he wakes up in just look like something from star wars? i honestly cannot even think of 1 thing i enjoy about picard. 

i agree the non-picard stuff is less than the picard stuff. truly, nothing beats picard walking around on a planet one-strapping a backpack.

it's funny we all agree on romulan legolas- that planet had mad elf-land lighting!

Edited by cooliofranco

31 minutes ago, caze said:

I think your brain has been scrambled by all the godawful trash you watch and you now incapable of consuming media in a normal manner.

this might be the case but:

i thought the romulan planet looked like star wars in the sense of new star wars or manalorian (like where mando meets cara dune). basically, some throwaway set in northern california. i know star trek's production design budget was mainly for ship interiors but since this has been like 95% NOT on a ship besides the borg cube that looks ab-so-lute-ly nothing like a borg cube you'd think maybe (?) they'd put some work on the sets but nope. 

and is that twin girl on the borg ship the borg queen? is that why 7 comes back and is shooting everyone around her? 

also: TNG's where no one has gone before and conspiracy are some of my favorite. i actually read the insects aliens introduced in conspiracy were a precursor to the borg. i do agree it took a while before episodes got really good, but how many television channels and shows did we have then compared to now? currently, i'm only curious how (and why) seven fits into the picture, and unless they do a complete 180 on the show (make picard more commanding, give him a ship, change EVERYONE around him for likable characters, get a different production designer and change the intro so it's not a cosmos ripoff) i'm done.

Locke and Key isn't bad. It's a pretty visual show. kind of fun actually. 

Just watch it at home. You get to relax and not get a manslaughter charge for driving though a farmers market. 

Edited by marf
  • Haha 3