IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

yeah basically the remake will never be what i would've wanted it to be. like the idea of the speed up for some of the battle grinding. however, the god mode/no random encounters is stupid and excessive.

i mean i'll totally end up buying the remake too... but i seriously doubt it'll be out before '17 (the 20 year anniversary of vii) and i'm sure i'll want to beat vii again between now and then

guilty to admit that i just did the steam equivalent of getting platinum in this game a few months ago tho...

Edited by juiceciuj

Well, it's supposed to be episodic so maybe you'll get to play a chunk of it next year.

same year ffxv launches?

doubt it

i imagine a huge marketing push for this alongside the 20 year anniversary.

would rather wait for the inevitable box set w/all dlc anyways. just don't know if i have that much self control

I picked up Xenoblade Chronicles X the other day but only played it for about 3 hours. I tried last night after work and fell asleep.... I am not sure I'll be getting into this game. I don't really like/understand the battle system so far.

I've spent the vast majority of my time playing Disgaea 5. I've already put 98 hours into it (according to the game clock, but I know some of that time is from just letting the game sit). My favorite thing about Disgaea is the Item World, so I have just been leveling up my weapons and armor, and in turn, my party. I'm in Chapter 10 now, so I'd say the game is almost over.

I'm sporadically going back to Super Mario Maker. I haven't had a lot of ideas recently, but the two newest stages I've made aren't really being played. I think the playership has dropped off and new stages aren't being noticed anymore. Not surprising, but disappointing considering the massive amount of plays I was getting during the first month or so.

Feel free to play my latest stages:

POWer Switch Fortress (0395-0000-0104-4E98)
Devil Pyramid 2: Mario Boogaloo (030E-0000-00D7-3FF7)

One note about SMM, is it me or do most players not really know how to play Mario games? I'm thinking I play differently than most people, because in looking at the stage maps and the places where players die, I'm rather confused as to how these deaths could happen. Do most people just run right through these stages as fast as they can without looking at their surroundings? No matter what roadblocks or mechanics or gimmicks I put in my stages, it looks like most players overlook them entirely and die because of it. POWer Switch Fortress has a mushroom at the beginning of the stage, and a few steps away is a path blocked by muncher plants that you can't pass. That's where I introduce the mechanic you will use for the entire stage - using POW blocks to clear a path. Most deaths are happening right there at the beginning, as if they're trying to run past these plants and can't figure it out, either not getting the mushroom or getting the mushroom and losing it and then dying because they're trying their hardest to pass an obviously impossible path. The solution is obvious and I even give you two hints as to what to do.........

Sorry about the long post.

yeah basically the remake will never be what i would've wanted it to be. like the idea of the speed up for some of the battle grinding. however, the god mode/no random encounters is stupid and excessive.

i mean i'll totally end up buying the remake too... but i seriously doubt it'll be out before '17 (the 20 year anniversary of vii) and i'm sure i'll want to beat vii again between now and then

guilty to admit that i just did the steam equivalent of getting platinum in this game a few months ago tho...

Dude battling your way up Shinra tower was mind numbing. I took the stairwell every time lol

I think I'm too old and busy to play those 50+ hour Japanese RPGs any more. I see more of them come out and just feel lethargic thinking about how long it will take to complete them, like Xenoblades which looks cool but also gives me the same feeling as trying to see clear to the bottom of an ocean or the depths of space. That said, somewhat hoping FFXV is okay, and will pick up FFXIII-3 if the PC port is decent*.

*so probably not for a few months, until it has been fixed.

Been playing Strania, a G.Rev shooter ported to Steam, having some shmup fun. Hope they port a few more of their titles Steam-ward. Border Down, I'm looking at you.

I think I'm too old and busy to play those 50+ hour Japanese RPGs any more. I see more of them come out and just feel lethargic thinking about how long it will take to complete them

I thought that but have found they work perfectly as games to commute by, on my phone. I play them in hour chunks to and/or from work and continue the next day or so. So far using that method I've cleared Final Fantasy 4 - 7, most of 1 & 9, all of Earthbound, Super Mario RPG and Chrono Trigger (two times and am right at the end of the third playthrough!). Was about half way through Tales of Phantasia but my save went wonky when I upgraded the version of Android ...

flim - I've been hammering Xenoblade the past 3 nights. It is quite confusing and can be overwhelming. I've played about 15 hours (restarted my game once when I understood more after about 7 hours). The battles, as far as I gather, work like this:

As long as you are in range to use your weapon, your character will automatically do normal attacks. They have a cool down between each attack. Your use special attacks when you want but they have longer cool downs (and 2 tiers of cool down, of you let the bar fill twice they can have diff properties - higher attack, can use twice without cool down, etc).

What confused me at the start was that your character automatically attacks and that you do NOT need to physically 'hit' the enemy with melee weapons, just need to be within range to use it.

Basically prepare for some confusion. Almost everything is slightly confusing when it first comes into play but quickly makes sense.

Guest bitroast

I picked up Xenoblade Chronicles X the other day but only played it for about 3 hours. I tried last night after work and fell asleep.... I am not sure I'll be getting into this game. I don't really like/understand the battle system so far.

I've spent the vast majority of my time playing Disgaea 5. I've already put 98 hours into it (according to the game clock, but I know some of that time is from just letting the game sit). My favorite thing about Disgaea is the Item World, so I have just been leveling up my weapons and armor, and in turn, my party. I'm in Chapter 10 now, so I'd say the game is almost over.

I'm sporadically going back to Super Mario Maker. I haven't had a lot of ideas recently, but the two newest stages I've made aren't really being played. I think the playership has dropped off and new stages aren't being noticed anymore. Not surprising, but disappointing considering the massive amount of plays I was getting during the first month or so.

Feel free to play my latest stages:

POWer Switch Fortress (0395-0000-0104-4E98)

Devil Pyramid 2: Mario Boogaloo (030E-0000-00D7-3FF7)

One note about SMM, is it me or do most players not really know how to play Mario games? I'm thinking I play differently than most people, because in looking at the stage maps and the places where players die, I'm rather confused as to how these deaths could happen. Do most people just run right through these stages as fast as they can without looking at their surroundings? No matter what roadblocks or mechanics or gimmicks I put in my stages, it looks like most players overlook them entirely and die because of it. POWer Switch Fortress has a mushroom at the beginning of the stage, and a few steps away is a path blocked by muncher plants that you can't pass. That's where I introduce the mechanic you will use for the entire stage - using POW blocks to clear a path. Most deaths are happening right there at the beginning, as if they're trying to run past these plants and can't figure it out, either not getting the mushroom or getting the mushroom and losing it and then dying because they're trying their hardest to pass an obviously impossible path. The solution is obvious and I even give you two hints as to what to do.........

Sorry about the long post.

i think some people just want quick fun easy interesting thrills, and as soon as obstacles get in the way they get bored and move on. still manage to get small handful of people playing my levels thru tho which is nice. (one guy in particular keeps commenting every time i upload a new level its really rad and funny "nice level!" "this was a cool level!" haha. THIS guy. legend.

im finding a fun groove with mario maker which is just a. make the levels you wanna make/play b. have the odd dip into online community and play other levels (this alone takes time and certain 'strategies' to finding the "good shit". the online system is kind of flawed and not perfect but still easy to have fun with.

Why they put the Skells so far into the story doesn't make much sense for a Western audience, we want too much too quickly and I bet a lot of copies will end up in the used bin before too long, but the reviews and vids I've seen it's like a different game once you unlock them. I'm sure 100 hour save files will be or already are floating around out there.

I've been wanting to play a Shiren the Wanderer game for ages, so ordered Etrian Mystery Dungeon 3D and will hopefully be playing it by New Year's. I really liked the Denpa Men games for 3DS.

yeah basically the remake will never be what i would've wanted it to be

Just looked at the gameplay trailer again:

That bit at 40 seconds, where he's crawling behind walls and under rubble. You know what that is? QUICK TIME EVENTS. Press X to crawl underneath rubble/pay respects. Joy.

yeah. just looks like an extension of "press x to jump on ladder/crawl into air vent/etc." looks like some of the brief glimpses i've seen of the new tomb raider game by se

think i'll end up importing an international version with jap audio and english subs because ugggggghhhh

A unique animation when the character has to go through tight spots like that is nothing new and doesn't prove that the game has quick time events. Games have been doing that for years...

i bet that "unique" animation is going to get used 10000x times so there

*drops mic*

Finished my first play through Until Dawn, now I need to try to not kill everyone for fun.

Was it any good? Looks like a choose your own adventure friday the 13th part 8. Is there any gameplay other than picking one of a couple of options whenever the game asks you to?