IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

Games are bloated beyond sanity these days. I see gamers whining online if games only last 35 hours. Give me 6 hours of content over endless fetch quests any day, I feel like games are just wasting my time recently because that's the thing to do. sigh. growing old is hard.

yea lol. If all that's left after playing is a feeling of "why did I do this" - was it worth it?

60 hours - it's comparable to binge watching a 6 season TV show. Shows of course have plenty of filler material and other nuisances but nothing that compares to the repetitive farming/quest mechanics of the typical game.

Now with Zelda, it's filled with a lot of cool stuff, just a shame that much of it drowns in a sea of sameness.

And damn. That tune hat always comes on when monsters detect you? FUCK

Guest bitroast

yep! def agreeing with what you're getting at. the repetetiveness of the game really kicks in the more you play it and uncover a larger sense of how the game plays out in the long term. it's like, from the start of the game you can set out in any direction and start exploring and having fun. but the variety in what you discover is sort of greatly plateau'd :dadjoke: across alot of the game. so when you get to the point of having sunk in heaps of hours into the game (especially in a short span of time), the repetitiveness is super apparent. it almost ... maybe not be the best game for binging on 24/7, maybe it owes itself to a more relaxed spread out experience? or maybe it just is what it is. it's kind of repetitive regardless of how you play it ? 

ok here comes a long switch rant so .. spoilers for courtesy here ..

i still enjoy the game and def don't have any desires to return the thing. i'm kind of loving how the switch doesn't have any core nintendo 'gimmick' to it that needs selling or some weird gameplay style that needs conveying. like, the wii has motion controls and that was novel at the time, so wii sports was the perfect way of summing that experience up in a package and conveying why that can be fun. nintendo land on the wii u tried a similar thing of trying to convey why a second screen experience can be fun when applied to the tv (i guess one good example is that pacman style mario game where the toad dudes are running around looking at the tv screen trying to find mario, and one player plays as mario looking at their own unique screen on the gamepad). but at large the second screen gamepad experience of the wii u is one that noone (even nintendo) bothered to exploit. one of the best 'gamepad' games on the wii u is mario maker, and that utilizes the touch screen of the gamepad really well .. but even then doesn't have any reason it can't exist purely on the gamepad. like the concept of 'second screen' doesn't apply to mario maker when only one screen is required to be playing the game? 

the switch on the other hand has none of that gimmick stuff applied to it, other than being a gaming console that can be played in handheld or on the tv.

i kind of love the switch

switch owners out there!! i recommend making a japanese nintendo profile and grabbing the puyo puyo tetris demo off the japanese store. it's really good multiplayer. it's also on ps4, ps3, 3ds ?? vita ?? i think ?? but again, the notion of being able to take it around very easily and play it with friends makes the switch version very appealing!

Edited by bitroast

selling off the Switch. 100hrs into Zelda and can't be arsed to continue tbh...

it was good but I don't play games regularly and seem to have low tolerance for a fatigue that always sets in.

like when games are kinda complex, all the pretty art etc is like a veil that thins away as you progress... what remains is pure mechanics. Then you feel like a robot trying to work the mechanics as efficiently as possible, more or less.

guess not all people experience this.. wanna know more about it, probably someone has written a book. Dunno? When googling, all that come up are threads about open-world fatigue in games.. but all from a gamers perspective. Guess it's especially something in open world games but not only there.

Have you messed around with VR at all yet? It has completely restored my excitement for video games, and since it's such a new platform there are a ton of different ideas and games out there or in development to keep things feeling fresh. 

So, anyway​, turns out that outside of combat Mass Effect Andromeda is pretty much a reskinned Dragon Age Inquisition. I'll keep playing, but this is some mediocre bullshit.

Games are bloated beyond sanity these days. I see gamers whining online if games only last 35 hours. Give me 6 hours of content over endless fetch quests any day, I feel like games are just wasting my time recently because that's the thing to do. sigh. growing old is hard.

I read a game developer say that most game design is creating mess for the gamer to clean up. In a sense, you're not exploring a world, you're just finding the stuff the developers have strewn about it.

Most gamers are just janitors. :psyduck:

selling off the Switch. 100hrs into Zelda and can't be arsed to continue tbh...

it was good but I don't play games regularly and seem to have low tolerance for a fatigue that always sets in.

like when games are kinda complex, all the pretty art etc is like a veil that thins away as you progress... what remains is pure mechanics. Then you feel like a robot trying to work the mechanics as efficiently as possible, more or less.

guess not all people experience this.. wanna know more about it, probably someone has written a book. Dunno? When googling, all that come up are threads about open-world fatigue in games.. but all from a gamers perspective. Guess it's especially something in open world games but not only there.

I too rarely plan video games these days, and for many of the reasons you're expressing. I feel that fatigue in so many games I've tried but I just can't care about...the thing that keeps me in games is something larger, a really unique story that has piqued my interest or something similar. There are a few games that are very interesting in a purely mechanical sense (Eden, N++) that can keep me interested in small amounts, but even them I can't fall into fully to play more than 30 minutes or an hour at a time. 

thumper was by far the biggest disappointment last year. What a piece of shit game that doesn't even test musical rhythm like it purported to do. Billed itself as "cool, alien, industrial amplitude" and instead it was about 1000x less fun that the new amplitude, even considering how bad harmonix fucked up the music

even considering how bad harmonix fucked up the music

I really wish the new amplitude had like..... a feature where you could use your own library of music and it would generate a level for you to play.

I still had a ton of fun with it but the music sucked big time (expected it to anyways but still). 

thumper was by far the biggest disappointment last year. What a piece of shit game that doesn't even test musical rhythm like it purported to do. Billed itself as "cool, alien, industrial amplitude" and instead it was about 1000x less fun that the new amplitude, even considering how bad harmonix fucked up the music

you already posted this but no, it's actually a really fun game.

Yeah I've really enjoyed it too - 'especially for only 10 quid (think I got it in early access so was a bit cheaper)

sometimes I fire up Life is Strange just to listen to the theme song. Loved that game.

Well then get ready for me to post it again in 2 months

just finished Playdead's Inside.  what an interesting game.  not quite sure how to describe it outside of 'wow'.

Have you played their other game, Limbo? Both are excellent games.