IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

2 hours ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

I don’t recall, did you play the Prey (2017) game? I always felt that was kind of a system shock reboot. Not a remake of course but… 

Sure did. And I know exactly what you mean. Prey is arguably the closest game to System Shock spiritually that isn't System Shock - even more so than Bioshock I'd argue. Especially when it comes to inventory management, multiple grenade types, and audio logs, there's so much overlap between Prey and SS. There's even homage to the original Through the Looking Glass developer when you're watching the in-game video clips of the Yus on those big glass screens.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ambermonk said:

Sure did. And I know exactly what you mean. Prey is arguably the closest game to System Shock spiritually that isn't System Shock - even more so than Bioshock I'd argue. Especially when it comes to inventory management, multiple grenade types, and audio logs, there's so much overlap between Prey and SS. There's even homage to the original Through the Looking Glass developer when you're watching the in-game video clips of the Yus on those big glass screens.

YES! 100% for me that was my experience with Prey! I think we've prob had a similar conversation before I just couldn't recall. I haven't played the SS remake yet but it's on my short list, looking forward to it. 

There's (not fully credible) rumors Arkane is working on a sequel to the 2017 Prey. Intriguing as for me it's the truest successor to SS for me. Time will tell. In the meantime I will get around to the remake. Cheers ?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ambermonk said:

Finally finished System Shock remake, after clocking in just over 30 hours.

It's kinda surreal seeing one of my favorite childhood games on PC get an overhaul like this, not to mention mainstream attention and praise. I remember first backing it as a Kickstarter project back in July 2016. After multiple delays and a complete game engine change, I'd say Nightdive fully delivered.

Granted it's not without its flaws (albeit minor ones), but overall it's been a pretty neat journey through Citadel station. Now just debating whether to jump straight into a second playthrough (taking a slightly different weapons approach) or hop back on NMS for the new Singularity expedition - for which there's about a month left.

I plan on getting this when it comes to consoles (which the devs said they are doing). I didn't play the original, but love Prey, Bioshock, et al.

• Like 1

Forgot to post my update. I beat Tears of the Kingdom accidentally.

Spoiler

After getting the four sages, I was supposed to to the castle, but jumped into the depths underneath instead because I figured there would be some way to get to the top from the bottom. Instead ran through a fucking gauntlet of bosses until I beat the game. I already had the master sword from figuring out the lost woods as the last place I hadn't explored. Turns out I skipped a whole temple. Went back and beat the castle, that temple and the Yiga clan. Felt the game was much more handholdy now that I see how I was supposed to approach it, and that the temples were pretty small and easy. Still a pretty fun game, but given how I beat it kinda killed the vibe on doing a lot of the side quests.

I have Signalis or Neon White up next on my queue.

• Like 1

Almost done with the FFXVI demo. I'm not a Final Fantasy fan. I'm not an RPG fan. I'm not even a medieval fantasy fan. But goddamn am I excited about the game, particularly after running through the demo (which is basically the first 2+ hours of the game). 

Insanely high production values on literally everything, action is spot on. They got the combat director for DMC to head up that part (I love DMC5), but it's not exactly DMC - and I think it's better for it. They created something that feels like it fits in this genre, while still taking queues from the action heavy titles. Like, the balance seems perfect - I was worried battles would be a frustrating grind against bullet (or sword swipe I guess) sponges, but it's more nuanced. You wear down stamina and then it leaves big creatures open to increasingly higher count attacks - and at no point did I feel like I was grinding. Just, like, having FUN. 

I think the thing that sort of surprised me has been the characters/story. Like, I'm already ultra invested in these characters / actually starting to care about them. It's like watching a really well done TV series but then you're sort of playing the action beats - and boy, some of the set piece stuff is crazy OTT. 

It hard to know from this slice if they'll be able to keep up this quality for the duration - but I have a sneaking suspicion that this is going to be on a lot of GOTY lists. 

My friend sent me this link about what goes into making Japanese calligraphy ink, and why it's so expensive. TLDR, it's the excessive care, effort, and precision that goes into every step of the process. You can feel that sort of effort here - someone thought deeply about every aspect, every visual que, every interface design, every action beat, and also made sure it all felt part of a unified whole. Hats off, I'll be disappearing for a while in 12 days. 

https://fb.watch/l8cSzh6pUF/?mibextid=l2pjGR

Edited by T3551ER
  • Like 2

Welp...I realize BGS get clowned a lot by the gamer community, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't hyped for No Man's Skyrim. Fr tho, we be gettin spoiled af this year for gaming.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, ambermonk said:

Welp...I realize BGS get clowned a lot by the gamer community, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't hyped for No Man's Skyrim. Fr tho, we be gettin spoiled af this year for gaming.

I’m looking forward to this too. Shame it’s fps locked on consoles but I’ll be on PC thankfully. Hopefully it’s properly optimized given how long it’s been in dev. Time shall tell..

• Like 2

On 6/13/2023 at 9:19 AM, T3551ER said:

Almost done with the FFXVI demo. I'm not a Final Fantasy fan. I'm not an RPG fan. I'm not even a medieval fantasy fan. But goddamn am I excited about the game, particularly after running through the demo (which is basically the first 2+ hours of the game). 

Insanely high production values on literally everything, action is spot on. They got the combat director for DMC to head up that part (I love DMC5), but it's not exactly DMC - and I think it's better for it. They created something that feels like it fits in this genre, while still taking queues from the action heavy titles. Like, the balance seems perfect - I was worried battles would be a frustrating grind against bullet (or sword swipe I guess) sponges, but it's more nuanced. You wear down stamina and then it leaves big creatures open to increasingly higher count attacks - and at no point did I feel like I was grinding. Just, like, having FUN. 

I think the thing that sort of surprised me has been the characters/story. Like, I'm already ultra invested in these characters / actually starting to care about them. It's like watching a really well done TV series but then you're sort of playing the action beats - and boy, some of the set piece stuff is crazy OTT. 

It hard to know from this slice if they'll be able to keep up this quality for the duration - but I have a sneaking suspicion that this is going to be on a lot of GOTY lists. 

My friend sent me this link about what goes into making Japanese calligraphy ink, and why it's so expensive. TLDR, it's the excessive care, effort, and precision that goes into every step of the process. You can feel that sort of effort here - someone thought deeply about every aspect, every visual que, every interface design, every action beat, and also made sure it all felt part of a unified whole. Hats off, I'll be disappearing for a while in 12 days. 

https://fb.watch/l8cSzh6pUF/?mibextid=l2pjGR

you got me pretty hyped on this. I loved FF7 (original and remake) and FF9, and couldn’t be bothered with the others for whatever reason. For some reason though, this one has really caught my eye. Also not sure if you’ve played it but Persona 5 Royal is fucking great where it relates to becoming invested in characters. It’s also incredibly imaginative and fresh as far as JRPGs are concerned  though you probably would hate the combat (turned-based).

Also, speaking of FF9 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Hail Sagan said:

you got me pretty hyped on this. I loved FF7 (original and remake) and FF9, and couldn’t be bothered with the others for whatever reason. For some reason though, this one has really caught my eye. Also not sure if you’ve played it but Persona 5 Royal is fucking great where it relates to becoming invested in characters. It’s also incredibly imaginative and fresh as far as JRPGs are concerned  though you probably would hate the combat (turned-based).

Also, speaking of FF9 

Persona 5 Royal is amazing for sure. But I can't seem to beat that fucking boss with the robots, i actually quit a year or two ago. It's like s game breaking bug ffs. Retried on hard mode which seems to make it more doable but then he lashes out once and my party dies instantly

Also Yakuza Like a dragon is fucking great if we're talking jrpgs

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Berk said:

Persona 5 Royal is amazing for sure. But I can't seem to beat that fucking boss with the robots, i actually quit a year or two ago. It's like s game breaking bug ffs. Retried on hard mode which seems to make it more doable but then he lashes out once and my party dies instantly

Also Yakuza Like a dragon is fucking great if we're talking jrpgs

Yeah I remember the Robot bosses being a serious pain to defeat. Are you unable to grind up some levels before it? Never tried yakuza. In other news I did just play the Final Fantasy 16 demo and holy shit, things done changed. It very obviously took inspiration from a certain series of fantasy novels but I’m not mad at that at all. Very impressed with what was shown so far. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Hail Sagan said:

Also, speaking of FF9 

It's funny you mention it, I started P5 Royale last year (or maybe the year before). It legit charmed the shit out of me for the bit I played, but I ended up kind of letting it go. In part it was bc my daughter was still so young and the massive amounts of sleep deprivation (and very limited game time) made it hard to keep at it. When you only have 15-20 minutes to game/work on music/warch something long dungeon crawls can feel stifling - but I have to say the overall combat was totally enjoyable, even for a person like me who usually is turned off my turned base combat. On my list to come back to though.

Lots of h8rs out there about FFXVI, for various reasons. I'd say if your at all unsure, just play the demo. It's the first 2 hrs of the game (plus a separate section later that shows of combat later in the game). I feel like you'll either be like "whatever, mid" or like "holy fuck give this me yesterday."

EDIT: lol should have read closer, glad you seemed to enjoy it!

I think it's going to be a masterpiece, shit like this are the sort of thing that reinforces that sense of attention to detail:

https://kotaku.com/final-fantasy-16-demo-jrpg-menu-ps5-square-enix-clive-1850543246?utm_campaign=Kotaku&utm_content=1686845294&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR0bHurUMVMezCai457e7OCt2WyKzzudMbS334N2FEqswBAuskLXYwpAls8

Edited by T3551ER
  • Like 3

I started Signalis. It's pretty cool, but the over the top aiming is atrocious. I've been able to get around it so far, but hope it doesn't make the game too hard to clear later on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chronical said:

can't wait for this.. hopefully we can import our own music somehow :music: there was also some leaked footage of a new JSR entry..

P3-JSR-Leaks_04-09-23_JSR-Artwork.jpg

this looks really epic

2 hours ago, chronical said:

can't wait for this.. hopefully we can import our own music somehow :music: there was also some leaked footage of a new JSR entry..

P3-JSR-Leaks_04-09-23_JSR-Artwork.jpg

wait what? there’s a new JSR coming out???? ? 

that would be awesome. 

Edited by Hugh Mughnus

2 minutes ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

wait what? there’s a new JSR coming out???? ? 

that would be awesome. 

yeah this was part of an internal sega reel that leaked:

the picture above was on the net a few months before that IIRC.. seems sega is pushing a lot of money to make this a next-gen reboot, they announced some kind of partnership with microsoft for "AAAA gaming services" a while back so this'll probably have some online features too :sorcerer:

• Like 2