Hachi: A Dog's Tale

I was a bit dubious at first when I heard about it a while ago but I was recommended it. I actually really enjoyed it. It is quite a sad film and I had sympathy for the dog more than I tend to with characters in other films. Is that a bad thing, I dunno? It is, however, worth a watch.

Snowtown

Was like a mashup between Henry, Portrait of a Serial Killer and a Ken Loach film, but grimmer.

Based on true events, haven't researched that yet.

Fuck. I bought this off a bloke a few months ago at a boot sale and asked him if it was as bad as I'd heard, he said he no longer wanted it in his house. I've not had the bottle to watch it yet.

edit - Incidentally if you like horror they are going over this on the bloodygoodhorror.com podcast this week, it's one of the better film podcasts I've heard.

Edited by tec

Snowtown

Was like a mashup between Henry, Portrait of a Serial Killer and a Ken Loach film, but grimmer.

Based on true events, haven't researched that yet.

Fuck. I bought this off a bloke a few months ago at a boot sale and asked him if it was as bad as I'd heard, he said he no longer wanted it in his house. I've not had the bottle to watch it yet.

edit - Incidentally if you like horror they are going over this on the bloodygoodhorror.com podcast this week, it's one of the better film podcasts I've heard.

Cool, will check that out.

Yeah, this was very unpleasant. It's the kind of movie that A Serbian Film thinks it is/ wishes it was.

been thinking about watching that, not sure i have the stomach for it though.

its the film equivalent of one of those 1,000,000 scoville hot sauces

well, htat's what i'd like to say about it but actually its a decent film overall

not much that be said to sum it up though. certainly depressing, and not in a trivial way. it really does kind of ruin a day or two of your life. and i'm not joking at all. it really does fuck you up, mentally and physically to a certain extent. it can detract from you. at least for a day or two.

truth be told, Holy Motors is up there. damn fucking incredible 1,000,000 out of 1,000,000 movie right there

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

Snowtown

Fuck. I bought this off a bloke a few months ago at a boot sale and asked him if it was as bad as I'd heard, he said he no longer wanted it in his house.

brilliant!

The Road Beyond The Pines - 9/10 - Absolutely brilliant. It's a fantastic triptych with great acting, directing and cinematography. Go and check it out if you're a fan of well constructed dramas. Gosling, Cooper and Mendes are brilliant throughout.

The PLACE Beyond The Pines

Saw it tonight. 7/10

I thought it was too long. The score (by mike Patton) was a bit melodramatic at times.

The characters were a bit underdeveloped.

It was nice how it tried out a new-ish narrative structure and all, but it kind of ended up distancing me by not letting me connect for too long with any given character. Plus, Eva mendes just got shit on too much.

I still liked it tho.

transe (2006) - 20/10
lilya 4-ever - 0/10
night of the living dead - 0/10
the evil dead (1981) - 0/10
napoleon dynamite - 10/10
the fall - 5/10
spun - 5/10
collateral - 10/10
FWWM - 20/10
heat - 20/10
la piel que habito - 20/10
o som ao redor - 5/10
sightseers (new movie from kill list director) - eugene's utter shit
forbidden planet - 5/10
4.44 last day on earth - -oo/10
blue velvet - 20/10
caché - 10/10
gangster squad - 300/1000000000000
entrance - 0/10
revanche - 5/10
the hunt - 10/10
short films of david lynch - 10/10
repo man (1984) - 20/10
buio omega - 10/10

Edited by THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

Lilya 4 ever, evil dead and night of the living dead's combined score makes me question the sanity of michael jackson.

Two Lane Blacktop - Awesome movie, i was a little put off by the car talk as im not a car man myself but i loved the atmosphere, the american road, the 1970's, etc, It gives me nostalgia even tho i was born 18 years after the movie was made lol. The story was just plain weird, now that i think about it the whole thing is fucking ridiculous. 10/10

Guest zaphod

repo man - got the blu ray. i love this movie. not much else to say. harry dean stanton is great. "society made me what i am". lol

the place beyond the pines - was bored shitless by this. so much on the nose, bad writing. the first "part" was ok, with gosling doing the usual iconic, nonverbal stuff. the tracking shot that richard roeper compared to fucking goodfellas was just a boring shot of his back while he walks around a carnival and crosses the street. who cares. rest of the movie was shit. the last part with the teens was embarrassing and obvious. cycle of violence maaaaan

Easy Rider - meh, i didnt feel it explored american culture enough. Thank god it was an hour and a half, i was getting bored. 6/10

Two Lane Blacktop is a much much better movie in comparison

Edited by Deer

Easy Rider - meh, i didnt feel it explored american culture enough. Thank god it was an hour and a half, i was getting bored. 6/10

Two Lane Blacktop is a much much better movie in comparison

(But what Jack Nickolson's character had to say was extremely important)

Guest chunky

havent seen this but want to. documentary movie with interviews done with israeli security services and spies. gotta love that they're intellectually honest and seem to accept that their politicians are nuts. sort of cool.

David Blair (british/israeli/spy/journalist for daily telegraph)

What can soldiers and spies actually achieve? The limits on what they can do – and their inability to bring genuine peace and security – is the unspoken theme of The Gatekeepers, a remarkable documentary based on interviews with six former directors of Shin Bet, the Israeli version of MI5. This film is showing in London now and I can’t recommend it highly enough. It's one of the most sobering and powerful pieces of cinema I’ve seen.

A former head of Shin Bet is better qualified than just about anyone to offer genuine insight into the Middle East conflict, particularly if he’s prepared to speak frankly. And the interviewees in The Gatekeepers do not disappoint.

First of all, they are unsparingly self-critical about the consequences of Israel’s occupation of the Palestinian territories. One, Avraham Shalom, actually compares the conduct of Israel’s army to that of German forces during the Second World War (although he is at pains to stress that he’s not drawing any comparison with how the Jews were treated). Another, Carmi Gillon says: “We are making the lives of millions unbearable.”

All of them are keenly aware that occupation does more than embitter and humiliate the occupied people. It also corrupts and brutalises the occupying power itself.

And that leads to their second insight. They are grimly realistic about the limitations of their own profession. All that Shin Bet and other security forces can do is reduce risk. Spies and soldiers can prevent specific terrorist attacks and foil plots. In the process, they save lives and create the space for a society and an economy to function. But they cannot bring peace and security. Only a viable political settlement between Israel and the Palestinians could achieve that. And that is not a matter for the securocrats, but for the political leadership on both sides.

That is where the men from the Shin Bet say they have been let down. All of them are searingly critical of their political masters. With a few exceptions, they are portrayed as short-sighted and self-interested. The Gatekeepers shows the strength of the Right-wing backlash that Yitzhak Rabin faced after he shook hands with Yasser Arafat and signed the Oslo peace accords in 1993. Rabin was furiously denounced by the settler lobby and brutally caricatured as a Nazi by right-wing demonstrators. Then he was assassinated by a fellow Israeli in 1995.

Rabin’s fate shows the immense political risk – and indeed personal risk – that any Israeli leader would be taking if he reached a settlement with the Palestinians. The Gatekeepers is bleakly pessimistic, portraying Israeli politicians as either unable or unwilling to do what is needed for peace. Meanwhile, all the skill and daring of the country’s security forces can achieve nothing but reduce the risks. The securocrats acknowledge their own inability genuinely to protect the society they serve. Only courageous and enlightened political leadership can do that. And the film gives you the impression that the one man who could have achieved this, Rabin, is now dead and the moment when this would have been politically feasible could have died with him.

I’m not qualified to pronounce on whether that thesis is correct or not. But I offer one thought. The people who run the world’s best security and intelligence agencies have a very interesting cast of mind. They must be tough, ruthless and prepared to cause harm. Have no illusions about that. But they are also pragmatic, flexible and – above all – coldly realistic. Dogmatism and ideological certainty are alien to them. They live in the real world, the world of compromise and shades of grey. That makes these people worth listening to. And the men who used to run Shin Bet clearly believe that the only way to safeguard Israel is by following the old formula of land for peace.

repo man - got the blu ray. i love this movie. not much else to say. harry dean stanton is great. "society made me what i am". lol

the place beyond the pines - was bored shitless by this. so much on the nose, bad writing. the first "part" was ok, with gosling doing the usual iconic, nonverbal stuff. the tracking shot that richard roeper compared to fucking goodfellas was just a boring shot of his back while he walks around a carnival and crosses the street. who cares. rest of the movie was shit. the last part with the teens was embarrassing and obvious. cycle of violence maaaaan

they should call place beyond the pines "motorcycle of violence"

(remake) Evil Dead - starts weak and gets stronger throughout - ultra-gore at times, all the best parts were old Evil Dead related, they never really took the chance to try something similar but different...pretty poor casting also

Oblivion - I was surprised how decent it started, was actually getting into it and enjoying etc, - but it suddenly takes a nose dive and its a plummet to rock-bottom from there on in
Olga Kurylenko/10