Eternal still seems like Gondry's most accomplished film, just in terms of visual style. He threw everything but the kitchen sink into the visual aesthetics of Eternal Sunshine. It's hard to believe the same guy who made it did the Green Hornet

I think this must have been during one of Carrey's "down" bipolar periods, as he looks and acts like a worn-out homeless dude in it; he also looks about 15 yrs older than Winslet. Makes it a bit difficult to identify with him as his charm has soured and he's just a bit repulsive.

harsh

yeah, I think that is a bit harsh. I didn't find him repulsive at all, in fact I kind of identified with him even as a younger person (I think I was about 22 when I first saw the movie).

I'm sure I bring quite a bit of baggage to watching him in a role but there was something about his suspiciously healthy, wig-like, bang-heavy haircut, coupled with his sunken cheeks, that kept making me think "pedo". Then of course there's stuff like this:

Guest zaphod

I think this must have been during one of Carrey's "down" bipolar periods, as he looks and acts like a worn-out homeless dude in it; he also looks about 15 yrs older than Winslet. Makes it a bit difficult to identify with him as his charm has soured and he's just a bit repulsive.

harsh

yeah, I think that is a bit harsh. I didn't find him repulsive at all, in fact I kind of identified with him even as a younger person (I think I was about 22 when I first saw the movie).

I'm sure I bring quite a bit of baggage to watching him in a role

flol sounds like it

Guest Shit Attack

wasnt jim carrey supposed to be like a depressed worn out character in that movie ? i think thats called acting man ACTING

the worlds end - was pretty entertaining. bit ropey + seemed like they just made it up as they went along . not really funny at all. but it was ok entertainment wise 6 shtars out of a possible 10

Guest Blue Peter Cheat

angel heart- 1st time i,ve seen this on blu-ray/surround sound etc, really enjoyed it,super creepy authentic atmosphere regarding the voodoo/black magic side of things,awesome soundtrack as well,rourke at his peak,de niro,s just de niro,there were a couple of cheesy moments(the babies eyes!why?!) but overall really glad i bought this in the sale 8/10

Saw that not too long ago, really enjoyed it.

Oblivion: 5/10 mainly for the visuals; sound was good in parts although, especially in the first 20 minutes, way too bombastic for what was happening on screen. Should have used silence a lot more imho. Overall it just seemed to borrow bits and pieces from a load of other films and patch them together. Jamie Lanister woefully underused. A good few holes, this one in particular bugged me:

how could one clone, as Morgan Freeman claims, display a difference from the others?

The Purge: 2/10 Awful, and abhorrent. Maybe that was what the creators were going for? I don't know. It did seem that they thought they were a lot cleverer and more subtle than they actually were.

has anybody here who's read the book Sirens of Titan seen Synecdoche? I feel like the ending was a direct nod to the ending of that book. It's a really wacky and over the top scifi novel by Vonnegut that I think Douglas Adams acknowledged inspired Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy

I picked it up with a load of other books in Fopp on their 2 for £5 deal. Didn't know about the Douglas Adams thing, guess I'll read that next.

funny, i've grown to really dislike synecdoche, whereas after three viewings of a serious man i now think it ranks among the coens best.

There's always a risk with a film that's written and directed by the same person, of self indulgence and taking too many liberties. Ideally you need two people with a firm grasp of what works in there own area, that way they reign each other in..

Paul Thomas Anderson does a pretty good job writing and directing.

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

Trance

Well for one thing the pussy shaving and reveal was ridiculous and unnecessary. Obviously this is watmm so what I mean to say is wooooooot. But it was ridiculous. To show that she would do anything for him she shaved something which grows back. Wow it must have been love. I guess the reason it needed to grow back was so she could do it again. but still. Overall I was left a bit meh by the film. There were nice moments but it wasn't as smart as it wanted to be. and was way too shiny

I liked the call back to Irreversible, with Vincent Cassell this time gettign beat in the head instead of destroying somebody elsewith a fire extinguisher.

As soon as you introduce a hypnotist everyone knows she is going to be walking away with the prize, so most of the tension was lost for that. The video at the end was horrible of her with the painting on her wall. ugh.

I would add 4 stars for the dick shoot scene. that was brutal

Edited by Jimmy McMessageboard

harsh

I'm sure I bring quite a bit of baggage to watching him in a role but there was something about his suspiciously healthy, wig-like, bang-heavy haircut, coupled with his sunken cheeks, that kept making me think "pedo". Then of course there's stuff like this:

Aw, such pathos. It's the sad eyes they say so much. Comedian's make the best actors, that's why Kubrick used them all the time.

I really rate Jim as an actor, I especially liked him in Eternal Sunshine and The Truman Show.

Guest zaphod

really? i don't know the context, like, if that was made at the height of some emma stone craze sweeping the nation, but it seems like a well acted ironic joke to me. the guy played andy kaufman ffs.

THX 1138

awesome, why have i never bothered with this before? i guess i always thought it would have the same cheap cheesy low budget feel as logan's run for some reason, but the visuals are amazing.

really? i don't know the context, like, if that was made at the height of some emma stone craze sweeping the nation, but it seems like a well acted ironic joke to me. the guy played andy kaufman ffs.

i thought that too until i watched some of his other videos on his website. He just seems all around really sorta i dunno sad? not like hey i'm wacky rubberman jim carrey but like hey i'm bipolar I try to stay focused on the good things in life

edit: his rollerblading in new york city video just screams loneliness to me or the silent despair of a man with terminal cancer

Edited by John Ehrlichman

THX 1138

awesome, why have i never bothered with this before? i guess i always thought it would have the same cheap cheesy low budget feel as logan's run for some reason, but the visuals are amazing.

you saw the original or the 2004 cleanup? i was blown away as well the first time I saw it - full of disbelieve that it was made in 71, noticed I watched a cleaned up version from 04 with added cgi etc. definitely the best recut mr lucas has ever done. :biggrin:

here's a list of differences: http://www.schnittberichte.com/report.php?ID=541751

funny, i've grown to really dislike synecdoche, whereas after three viewings of a serious man i now think it ranks among the coens best.

There's always a risk with a film that's written and directed by the same person, of self indulgence and taking too many liberties. Ideally you need two people with a firm grasp of what works in there own area, that way they reign each other in..

Paul Thomas Anderson does a pretty good job writing and directing.

Yes I know, and of course.

Stanley-Kubrick_2.jpg

THX 1138

you saw the original or the 2004 cleanup? i was blown away as well the first time I saw it - full of disbelieve that it was made in 71, noticed I watched a cleaned up version from 04 with added cgi etc. definitely the best recut mr lucas has ever done. :biggrin:

here's a list of differences: http://www.schnittberichte.com/report.php?ID=541751

wow, yeah, guess i should've known considering those cgi "surface dwellers" at the end.

mud - 7.5 - it's lovely, beautiful and the acting by the boys and mcconaghey is really good but it's just too damn straightforward and verging on corny.

man of steel - impressive cgi demo.

220px-Schulm%C3%A4dchen-Report_FilmPoste

an amazing piece of social reporting. todays girls are very horny. today is 1971. and we're in germany. in one instance, girls fake being injured just so they can coerce a lunkhead park attendant to assist in their treatment. the lunkhead is sentenced to jail because the girls are only 16. in another, some girl masturbates with an elephant teddy bear because her boyfriend only lasts 12 seconds in bed. i'm moving to germany as soon as i finish my business here

11048244_det.jpg

another righteous entry into the schoolgirl report anthology. things start off with a classroom full of hot babes blackmailing their science teacher (dr malinger) to have sex with them when one of them gets a friend to take pictures of herself and the wonderful dr romping around at the house. the doctor can't take it and snuffs himselfs out.

later- we get a rather serious look at how a duo get their date drunk, inject her with heroin then rape her. a rather dubious announcer tells us these guys have been doing this for years- before interviewing some runaways who tell us their tragic story- from naive country girls to street smart urban whores.

crazy

THX 1138

you saw the original or the 2004 cleanup? i was blown away as well the first time I saw it - full of disbelieve that it was made in 71, noticed I watched a cleaned up version from 04 with added cgi etc. definitely the best recut mr lucas has ever done.  :biggrin:

here's a list of differences: http://www.schnittberichte.com/report.php?ID=541751

This is a truly amazing film. Makes all the more hard to swallow that he pretty much switched to just producing nit long after. Apparently it was such a pain in the ass to make that it totally put him off.

i thought that too until i watched some of his other videos on his website. He just seems all around really sorta i dunno sad? not like hey i'm wacky rubberman jim carrey but like hey i'm bipolar I try to stay focused on the good things in life

edit: his rollerblading in new york city video just screams loneliness to me or the silent despair of a man with terminal cancer

The video is basically Jim Carrey asking Emma stone for a pity fuck