i'm rewatching older, visually impressive films on a decent tv...

enter the void - 5/10 - still dull as fuck, the mid portion of the film feels like being stuck in some quest video game, just flying above those uninteresting characters for an hour looking for whatever...nevertheless, about of half of the movie (the last 30 minutes are great for example) is a great trip and technically it's a serious achievement.

wall-e - 8.5/10 - really great and clever, it does get a little too cutesy and kiddie at times though, and the wall-e restoration to life could be smarter than that of matrix. the animation and attention to detail are simply awe inspiring.

The layers of symbolism in Wall-E are amazing for Pixar, I doubt they'll achieve that again. Consumerism, obesity, proliferation of wireless devices, pollution, loss of human contact, and a big ol swipe at Walmart. A masterpiece.

Big Hero 6 - Didn't expect much of anything from this, certainly didn't expect to see the best animated film since Wall-E. A fantastic emotional rollercoaster.

The Hurt Locker - if it wasn't for the annoying patriot loving ending (although, credits for NOT using a waving USA flag, or did they?) I'd rate it higher, but still a good movie.

Gran Torino: really didn't want to watch this for years, turned out my instincts were wrong AGAIN 8/10

Yeah I avoided that one for a long time too, thinking it was gonna be "righteous old white republican shows ornery urban youth what's up via the barrel of a gun". Was actually kind of the opposite of that, in a way. Great film.

lol, exactly. I was fearing an overkill of a serious Clint Eastwood-tough-guy-typecasting, but they worked it out in a great way.

i don't get the love for gran torino on watmm. easily one of the worst, most cringeworthy movies i've ever seen. i get that none of them are real actors and that was his point or whatever but holy shit. and clint eastwood is basically just playing himself isn't he? an old, confused and bitter white guy.

i don't get the love for gran torino on watmm. easily one of the worst, most cringeworthy movies i've ever seen. i get that none of them are real actors and that was his point or whatever but holy shit. and clint eastwood is basically just playing himself isn't he? an old, confused and bitter white guy.

I was just about to post something similar to this. The acting was so terrible.

Imaginaerum by Nightwish

At first I thought it would be another shitty metal film for metalheads, but its actually quite good. In the artistic side it is really well made. I didn't care a lot about the technical aspects tho. I liked, but still think Nightwish sounds like cheese.

8.5/10

Imaginaerum by Nightwish

At first I thought it would be another shitty metal film for metalheads, but its actually quite good. In the artistic side it is really well made. I didn't care a lot about the technical aspects tho. I liked, but still think Nightwish sounds like cheese.

8.5/10

Ha, why would you watch it if you think nightwish sounds like cheese?

Imaginaerum by Nightwish

8.5/10

Ha, why would you watch it if you think nightwish sounds like cheese?

a friend of mine insisted. I was always like << yeah, sure, whatever I'll watch it>> but I was really expecting it to be shit... But he even gave me the HD version and shit... so yeah, I watched it.

Miami Connection

Was hoping for something similar to The Room, but it wasn't as good/bad.

This scene though:

7/10

Then I watched The Orphanage because I remember it scaring the living shit out of me. Turns out a lot of years has passed and that it felt more like a fantasy story than a horror movie.

6/10

Mud

This is around when Matthew Mcconaughey started his bid to be taken more seriously as an actor. Can say it worked well and am surprised I didn't hear more about this movie. Southern-gothic coming-of-age thriller. 8.5/10

have u watched The Paperboy?

over le weekend,,,,,,Midnight Cowboy......still a complete trip of a film "you're the only 1 Joe,,,,,", D Hoffman (sp?) is superb, and ending with a kick in the guts a bit like Kes. 11/10

from same era The Little Big Man, quite long, but so many quality characters, Faye Dunaway as the madonna/whore...... 8/10

its sweaty, sleazy and manic under the heat of the location.

whatshisface Cusack is a hardcore loon & N Kidman is pretty good as his psycho, spread em n wank missus <----- believe

7half/10

edit - that dint say much, its a crime caper of sorts set in the south with plenty of plotting & scheming & eye-rape

Edited by cwmbrancity