Speak No Evil ended up being more shallow than I thought. no issue with the style of it, but

Spoiler

the underlying hook I was expecting was not there. I thought it was going to say something deeper about civilisational clash and the inherent/banal tendency to evil that often goes hand in hand with that, but instead it was just a straightforward "oh they're serial killers who steal kids". for some reason I twigged exactly what was going on as soon as the guy was about to walk into the barn with the photographs, just before you see the actual photographs. there've definitely been other movies that have done the same thing and the visual cues made it click right at that moment.

also there was some suspension of disbelief required in the characters' dumb decisions, e.g. going back for the doll and deciding to stay, not telling the wife wtf is going on, etc. and the use of the scary Arab babysitter was cheap.

still a solid, well-made movie, but lacking in the substance I had guessed would be there.

As Bestas on the other hand, another movie that operates in a similar zone, did have that kind of depth. that one's a knock out of the park.

On 5/11/2024 at 12:31 PM, Walter Ostanek said:

There is a 0% chance that Civil War isn't a russian psyop

wait for this to become the new "it's just like Idiocracy!!1"

1 hour ago, usagi said:

wait for this to become the new "it's just like Idiocracy!!1"

Idiocracy, Contagion, and Civil War make a pretty good American apocalypse trilogy. 

• Haha 1

they make a pretty good "I only understand the world through American movies" starter pack.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2024 at 1:34 PM, Rubin Farr said:

Interest piqued 

The statues moving around sold me on it.

On 5/14/2024 at 5:04 PM, Rubin Farr said:

Interest piqued 

Trailer looks chaotic in a good way. But still no distributor, so not sure when we can expect to see it. I'm interested to see Coppola's interpretation of some of David Graeber's work. 

Megalopolis film review: Francis Ford Coppola's passion project is a 'pretentious, portentous curio'

spacer.png

-One star for Francis Ford Coppola's "loopy" retro-futuristic passion project, which is "incoherent" – and looks "horribly cheap and amateurish".-

https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20240517-megalopolis-film-review-francis-ford-coppolas-passion-project-is-a-pretentious-portentous-curio

What matters is that it exists. But the fact is that it isn't any good.

It's like listening to someone tell you about the crazy dream they had last night – and they don't stop talking for well over two hours.

bbc says “woof”

• Facepalm 1

i'll go see it for the spectacle and see what's what.. expectations are not hyped for me.. just want to be thoughtfully confused for a while. 

Sure, I'll watch it out of curiosity, but Coppola lost his touch ages ago. Have you guys seen any of his movies post Dracula? They're all dogshit. I really hope he pulls one out on this one though.

On 7/7/2023 at 4:15 AM, Nebraska said:

I tried this and liked it more than forwards. it won't help, but now you know even people that claim to like it needed validation that it had a reason to claim its stupid logic

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I watched this again last weekend. Absolutely love it!! And the soundtrack is phenomenal!!

la chimera - probably the polar opposite of the smaller films i like to usually watch, but with huge amounts of charm and a group cast that’s full of interesting characters, its memorable for its dreamlike, romantic, gentle summertime feel. quite surreal and odd, a grave robbing gang led by an archaeologist pursue a living outside the law, against great poverty and with much resourcefulness. a familiar italian gangster undertone runs through it too. lots to ponder and consider in what’s deceptively simple and full of surreal ideas.

• Like 2

about an hour or so in and it hits all the buttons. rich commentary. lol's etc. 

• Like 1

Put Doug Bradley & Scott Bakula in The Scarlet Gospels with Clive Barker overseeing it, and I’d go see that. Give Doug his Picard moment. 🤘

IMG_0473.jpeg

On 5/17/2024 at 7:21 AM, J3FF3R00 said:

-One star for Francis Ford Coppola's "loopy" retro-futuristic passion project, which is "incoherent" – and looks "horribly cheap and amateurish".-

i, the executioner by tai kato (1968) - first (for me) of a run of kato’s films to be getting releases from radiance. surprisingly nihilistic and explicit serial killer drama, with fantastic photography for the most part, decent structure, unusual approaches and accessible story. feels like a clear gap in the kinds of films japan has made is filled in with something that was probably long missing from our opportunities to see them in the west. nicely chosen, a surprise, and quite interested to see more of his output now.

• Like 2

spacer.png

all the hype about the new Mad Max Furiosa film coming out made me realize I'd never seen part 3 of the original trilogy. it definitely is the worst of the original Mad Max films, but it still delivers from a visual standpoint. 

• Like 4

I will never stop being disappointed at what the "thunderdome" turned out to be. in my mind I'd imagined a massive underground demolition derby arena featuring ultraviolent vehicular duels to the death. instead it was just two nibbas swinging around a cage while Tina Turner yodeled (this last part my mind may have fabricated in my extreme disappointment). wtf George, m8.

• Haha 1
  • Big Brain 1