2 Lynch docs:

spacer.png

spacer.png

The Art Life is essential viewing for any fans of the man. he talks quite a bit about his childhood and teen years, and what led him to art school. I really didn't know too much about the early Lynch years, so this was a lot of new info to me. it's shot almost entirely at his home studio, with Lynch dialogue interspersed with images of his artwork, old photos, and his own music. it doesn't get into any of his films really, more of a history lesson on him. the vibe of the doc is the unsettling Lynchian world we all know from his films.

Shadows of Paradise is all about Lynch and the transcendental meditation stuff he's devoted to. it starts with him in India after the Maharishi died, and then gets into his foundation's work in wanting to bring TM to the masses. a lot of great behind the scenes shots of him going place to place promoting TM, but ultimately, I'm not sure if this doc was made to endorse TM or criticize it. it fawns all over Lynch, but ends without much of a point really. it was well done though.

Christ. I had a conversation the other day with 3 chaps who are into shit (shit as in films, art, music and other shit) 

Oooh Tom Cruise is a great actor, he's been in so many great films!

Really? I'm fucking confused because I think he's fucking shit. He's just Tom Cruise. Ice Man in a fast plane and on a bike with some chick. That's it. He's Tom Cruise. Are you being serious?

Ooooh yes he's brilliant!

Yeah well every fucking film I've ever seen him in I've switched off. Apart from Ice Man, granted that's a classic. 

Oooooh no he so talented!

Really?

So last night I put on Oblivion. I like Sci Fiction, though there's a fine line between utter fucking shit and utter fucking genius.

Switched it off after an hour in a fucking rage. What a fucking load of horse shit. Tom Cruise being Tom Cruise riding across a surface of a planet on a fast bike (fucking lol where's the chick maaan) looking all earnest and serious and wishing he was Ice Man in a F-22 or whatever number it is nowadays. 

And Morgan Freeman sat in a cave in a leather coat smoking a big cigar. Where the fuck is Mick Fleetwood?

Bastards!

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, beerwolf said:

Christ. I had a conversation the other day with 3 chaps who are into shit (shit as in films, art, music and other shit) 

Oooh Tom Cruise is a great actor, he's been in so many great films!

Really? I'm fucking confused because I think he's fucking shit. He's just Tom Cruise. Ice Man in a fast plane and on a bike with some chick. That's it. He's Tom Cruise. Are you being serious?

Ooooh yes he's brilliant!

Yeah well every fucking film I've ever seen him in I've switched off. Apart from Ice Man, granted that's a classic. 

Oooooh no he so talented!

Really?

So last night I put on Oblivion. I like Sci Fiction, though there's a fine line between utter fucking shit and utter fucking genius.

Switched it off after an hour in a fucking rage. What a fucking load of horse shit. Tom Cruise being Tom Cruise riding across a surface of a planet on a fast bike (fucking lol where's the chick maaan) looking all earnest and serious and wishing he was Ice Man in a F-22 or whatever number it is nowadays. 

And Morgan Freeman sat in a cave in a leather coat smoking a big cigar. Where the fuck is Mick Fleetwood?

Bastards!

I love your passion but I actually like Tom Cruise, too. 
:spiteful:

51 minutes ago, J3FF3R00 said:

I love your passion but I actually like Tom Cruise, too. 
:spiteful:

Christ On A Bike. Not you too!

Jesus.

So what's his best fucking film because it sure ain't OBLIVION. Sorry what's his third best film. After Top Gun 1 & 2.

Yeah man I've been sitting in a cave in a big leather trench coat and black goggles smoking a big cigar watching you on your big fast bike and the emoji drones! Hahah fuck off 😜

Hmm Magnolia. Damn I forgot about that. I started watching it and realised I was too pissed to concentrate on what looked like a great film so stopped it for another time when I was more sober. Thanks for the reminder.

He’s really good in eyes wide shut too. Also, considering they shot that thing for 400 consecutive days (an actual Guinness record, I believe), he should get some kind of recognition… not that he really needs it. His work ethic is insane, in general. 

edit

a while back I read Rob Lowe’s autobiography on a friend’s recommendation, not expecting much. It was actually incredibly entertaining and a very fast/fascinating read. The whole chapter/s? about The Outsiders is super interesting and paints a good picture of cruise as a hungry young actor. 

Edited by J3FF3R00

1 hour ago, auxien said:

After the Weinstein scandal I heard a couple people claiming this was based on Weinstein. Maybe it’s all archetypal but if it is based on real people in Hollywood it’s interesting to think who Lincoln Osiris represents. I heard Jim Carey (who I’m a big fan of) was a hugely insufferable asshole to the entire cast when he “transformed” into Andy Kaufman. The funniest criticism came from Jerry the King who said he went way over the top, didn’t match Andy’s off-screen personality at all and just came across as a dickhead. Then there’s Paul Thomas Anderson who apparently went disconcertingly deep into character. You wonder if the dude cast as John Wilkes Booth was considering bringing live rounds on set like they did on The Crow 😅

Not a huge Cruise fan but it is cool that he does a lot of his own stunts tbh. Especially considering his age. But as far as stunts go Jackie Chan will always be the fucking man. We will never have someone like that again not because people aren’t crazy/willing to do the type of stuff he did, but because of the safety restrictions that appear to be present nearly worldwide.

the fact that he almost died a few times and suffered major injuries throughout his career is wild. His movies were almost like watching a skate video in that you would watch his movies for basically the precursor of what would become known as parkour mixed with fantastic martial arts sequences. And the end of a lot of his films had great blooper reels akin to a slam section that showed how many hits dude took throughout the process.

Every once in a while if I just want to chill and get some lighthearted nostalgia his movies are great for that. The fighting sequences, the stunts, his sense of humor and even the broken English/bad dubs and generic storylines are just really fun to watch sometimes. Police Story 1 and 2, Rumble in the Bronx, Wheels on Meals (yes it’s spelled that way for superstitious reasons), Mr. Nice Guy, First Strike, Super Cop, Operation Condor, Project A 1 and 2, Drunken Master, etc. Basically all of his late 80’s and early 90’s shit are all bangers. Arnold is the man but Jackie is definitely my favorite action star overall.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Burger 1

43 minutes ago, Hail Sagan said:

But as far as stunts go Jackie Chan will always be the fucking man. We will never have someone like that again not because people aren’t crazy/willing to do the type of stuff he did, but because of the safety restrictions that appear to be present nearly worldwide.

the fact that he almost died a few times and suffered major injuries throughout his career is wild. His movies were almost like watching a skate video in that you would watch his movies for basically the precursor of what would become known as parkour mixed with fantastic martial arts sequences. And the end of a lot of his films had great blooper reels akin to a slam section that showed how many hits dude took throughout the process.

Every once in a while if I just want to chill and get some lighthearted nostalgia his movies are great for that. The fighting sequences, the stunts, his sense of humor and even the broken English/bad dubs and generic storylines are just really fun to watch sometimes. Police Story 1 and 2, Rumble in the Bronx, Wheels on Meals (yes it’s spelled that way for superstitious reasons), Mr. Nice Guy, First Strike, Super Cop, Operation Condor, Project A 1 and 2, Drunken Master, etc. Basically all of his late 80’s and early 90’s shit are all bangers. Arnold is the man but Jackie is definitely my favorite action star overall.

don't forget miracles; one of his most slept on classics

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nebraska said:

don't forget miracles; one of his most slept on classics

Thanks for reminding me. I have this available to stream somewhere and was gonna get around to it because it was too late. Gotta check this out.

Miracles- Glad I was reminded because this is definitely prime Jackie. A longer film and heavier on the story than action although early in the film you got a great fight scene and the action and at the end? So fucking good. The conclusion really exceeded expectations. The environment was thoroughly put to use for one of the best choreographed fight scenes with stunts and humor fused in a way you would expect but in others I didn’t see coming. Also the credit roll showed a TON of mishaps and gnarly looking injuries that took place during filming. One of his classics for sure.

just to further fuel the general scorn for remakes: the English language remake of Speak No Evil has a predictably shitty Hollywood reworked ending compared to the much darker one for the original. I know this because I just spoiled the whole plot by reading the wiki entry, who cares cos I'm never watching the fucker. disgosten

• Haha 1

Paris, Texas

Loved it. Fell a sleep just a tiny bit near the end. Woke myself by making the weirdest fucking noise that scared my wife.

Would watch it again.