Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

i did like the scene where brad pitt is flying and a nuke nonchalantly explodes in the distance. movie was awful though, seemed cobbled together from different shoots. actually, i think it was. pretty sure the last half hour is entirely reshot.

the last third was rewritten completely. by damon lindelof

Has anyone here read the book World War Z? I havent seen the movie but i think it'd be cool if they made the film like the book with a bunch of little stories all connected to one epidemic (I know enough about the movie to know it's nothing like the book

Edited by Danny O Flannagin

Stoker 8/10 - An artistic revelation. Time will judge it kindly.

Mud 7/1 - Slow mover with a lotta heart. Innocuous. Nice film to reflect upon.

Batcock 2: Glans On Wings 4/10 - Too bittersweet and sentimental. Prequel planned to be shown on Universal Channel, set in the present day.

Guest Pennywise

Suspira

incredible tension, music, cinematography/10

(also Jessica Harper is too cute/hot)

Suspiria%20taxi.JPG

The girl from house of the devil looks like her. She is very, very nice

just keep her away from vases i guess

Inferno+Title.jpg

8/10

enjoyed this at the end of Suspiria. Love how Argento decided to film her coming into the room. Just BWAAAHHHH.

Suspiria2.jpg

Theres a similar kind of BWAAAHHH moment at the end of Inferno which contains perhaps the most WTF jump cut in horror cinema. Suspiria is great but it did take me a few viewings to appreciate it. I saw Inferno for the first time a couple of months ago and it is the same kinda thing. The acting/storyline is negligible, it's all about the atmosphere and the lavish sets and the BWAAAAHHH factor at the end as a character is drawn into a maze of murkiness ....for the most sinister of revelations to be revealed.....

Inferno+Title.jpg

8/10

enjoyed this at the end of Suspiria. Love how Argento decided to film her coming into the room. Just BWAAAHHHH.

Suspiria2.jpg

Theres a similar kind of BWAAAHHH moment at the end of Inferno which contains perhaps the most WTF jump cut in horror cinema. Suspiria is great but it did take me a few viewings to appreciate it. I saw Inferno for the first time a couple of months ago and it is the same kinda thing. The acting/storyline is negligible, it's all about the atmosphere and the lavish sets and the BWAAAAHHH factor at the end as a character is drawn into a maze of murkiness ....for the most sinister of revelations to be revealed.....

I think the BWAAH moment is kinda his thing. By BWAAH, I mean like something just busting into the scene. I think he has another flick with a crazed marionette that barges into a room. Could be mistaken though. His use of color is appreciated by us designer types. Like a comic come to life.

I think he has another flick with a crazed marionette that barges into a room.

Could be Deep Red your thinking about. Or Tenebrae.

it's deep red.

i think the ease with which these films that were great obscurities has diminished something in them. not sure that's the right thing to say, because it could also be that i'm longer as young as i was when i first saw some of these argento films, about 20 years back. still, i had to wait until DVD to see most of them.

jIcU4Tb.jpg

terrible. a bunch of unlikeable yuppies are stuck in this desperate attempt to remake the evil dead but end up rehashing the memorable scenes from the exorcist. you need to be both brainless and souless to enjoy this.

I saw a bunch of movies this week.

You're Next

7/10

Gore. Violence. Suspense. Good times. (I'm actually friends with a girl who's in it and had no clue!)

Insidious: Chapter 2

4/10

So bad, but fun to watch. A few good grabs, but far more eye-rolls. It felt like they didn't have a script and half of the movie looked like utter shit.

The Butler

8/10

Good flick. Great historical perspective. Great performances. I usually can't stand Forrest Whittaker. I liked this one.

End Of the World

1st 30 minutes = 9/10

The rest of the movie = yawn/10

Edited by J3FF3R00

Autumn Sonata 7.5/10

After having neglected her children for many years, world famous pianist Charlotte visits her daughter Eva in her home. To her surprise she finds her other daughter, Helena, there as well. Helena is mentally disabled, and Eva has taken Helena out of the institution where their mother had placed her. The tension between Charlotte and Eva only builds up slowly, until a nightly conversation releases all the things they have wanted to tell each other.

Another brilliantly written, acted and directed Bergman (did this guy ever make a bad film?) with a family drama at it's center. A must for Bergman fans.

Burn After Reading 8/10

A disk containing the memoirs of a CIA agent ends up in the hands of two unscrupulous gym employees who attempt to sell it.

A wacky Coen caper with a swiftly escalating plot line and over the top characters. One of their worst but still entertaining.

i feel like Autumn Sonata is a movie that could be released this year and would be just as fucking awesome. and it would wipe the floor with so much of these schlocky melodramas that tend to rely on absurdist extremism to pack their punch. bergman could just put two women into a house and let it rip.

this is the end - 6/10 - there are lols, but many of them feel very tired, this brand of humor is close to its expiration. the acting seemed kinda unenthusiastic with the exception of danny mcbride who totally delivers in every scene he's in. coked up michael cera was fun too, though.

i feel like Autumn Sonata is a movie that could be released this year and would be just as fucking awesome. and it would wipe the floor with so much of these schlocky melodramas that tend to rely on absurdist extremism to pack their punch. bergman could just put two women into a house and let it rip.

yeah totally, he had a way of creating such deep psychological tension far more than even Hitchcock could. he literally pisses all over modern drama.

black narcissus

beautifully shot english melodrama. works because of its heightened style rather than in spite of it. this might play better to a modern audience than it did in the 1940s.

i watched the comedy central roast of james franco this weekend and realized i hate james franco.

i hate to love those roasts... a nice easy format for stand ups to have fun. always some dud jokes but i like that each comedian gets only about 15 min of time... stand up specials with one person can get draining