Just saw Argo.

6.8/10

I think I waited too long to see it, because it definitely didn't live up to the hype.

A bunch of melodrama and underdeveloped characters plus Ben Affleck with his usual hero complex does not equate to best picture.

I also think it was poorly edited.

I can safely say that, being an editor.

I thought the score was cheesy as fuck.

Edit

I figured that I should add something positive.

It was suspenseful in the right places.

However formulaic.

Edited by jefferoo

Oh man, the scene where you see the streets for the first time is fantastic.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there are robots walking around the street, right? Or am I thinking of some other movie?

There is one, delivering a pizza

Skyfall - 6/10 Sam Mendes is def not an action director, underdeveloped plot, leading lady and weak finale.

Flight - 8/10 great visual FX, but too long and so depressing you want to crawl into a bottle after seeing it.

Alien (director's cut) - fell asleep for about an hour in the middle. Seen it before so it was OK. 4.5/10 (score reduced by 50% because I only saw half the film)

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

skyfall. loved it. yeah the ending is odd and if you wanted to you could pick it apart. didnt' love bardem as much as everyone else. except when he took his teeth out. the dark knight comparisons are true and this isn't as good as that but I liked it.

Edited by Jimmy McMessageboard

psycho (original)

one of those films that I knew so much about I thought I had seen before. but when it started on the woman stealing the money I realized I hadn't. an absolute masterpiece of filmmaking. I was disappointed in a the end reveal, could have been done better than just running in screaming (imagine him hobbling in old lady style and then screaming and running. would be more creepy). musically i think the best score of all time.

it was weird to see it knowing the secret. can't imagine how it would be to see it fresh. norman bates is such a nice young man

the shot of her face on the bathroom floor should be the iconic image of this film not the scream

Psycho+Eye+shower.jpg

best i could find but on screen it wasn't so cropped

i must be in a good mood recently as I am loving everything even whilst seeing the problems

Guest RadarJammer

End of Watch this movie confused the heck out of me, It had no discernible flow and it didn't seem to have anything to do with the IMDB synopsis blurb until the last 20 minutes. It was pretty low budget with lots of B acting but they generated higher expectations than it could live up to by casting Jake Gyllenhaal for the lead which seems like a big mistake for this kind of movie. 5/10

the Fearless Vampire Killers - 6/10, Besides a few really awesome sets and silly character interactions i thought this was probably the weakest Polanski film i've seen besides Frantic. Still need to see Knife in the Water. Watching that next

A Dangerous Method - Really uninteresting. Pointless. Dreary. Featuring possibly the most annoying performance ever (Keira Knightley). Dozed for about 15 minutes in the middle. Rewound the DVD to see what I'd missed. Shouldn't have bothered. Also massive lols at the CGI ship scene. Adds weight to the argument that Kronenberg has always been pretty rubbish really. Don't even know how to rate this one. Can't think of a single redeeming element. 1/10 (scores a point for not being Sex and the City I guess)

yeah I also enjoyed that film. definitely not a 10/10 or anything but I actually enjoyed knightly chin jutting performance and the relationship between jung and freud

I'm looking forward to seeing Tokyo and Holy Motors

Excision 6/10 - A familiar take on the ''disturbed teen'' movie. The 18 year old fantasises about being a transplant surgeon and cutting up the people she knows and playing around in their blood. It could have been better, there was scope for the story to go deeper into the character but it ended up being another one of those films let down by it's ending ( I've a lot of potentially good films this year let down by their ending).

Dark Horse 7/10 - Solondz is back and he's in familiar territory exploring dysfunctional people, this time blurring the lines between fantasy and reality more than ever. Good characters (an understated Walken is funny as fuck) and worth a second viewing. Ending could have been better.

Your Sister's Sister 7.5/10 - Some might say this is a chick flick in the same mould as Friends With Kids but I am definitely starting to get a soft spot for these US indie comedy dramas because the characters are engaging and you are actually drawn into the scenes, watching what the actors are doing. Not as Good as Jeff Who Lives At Home, because the ending was kinda inconclusive.

Safety Not Guaranteed - See above.

Kill List 9/10 - Watched this again at the weekend. I love it. The intense sense of dread and the build up. They really got it right. the ending wasn't satisfactory for a lot of people, who gave it a low rating just because of that. They felt unsatisfied after being gripped for so long. But i think a film which can intrigue/grip you by the balls for 99% of its running time doesn't deserve to be slated for it's somewhat inconclusive last scene.

How I Spent My Summer Vacation 7/10 - Pretty damn solid. It was implausible in every way but I liked Gibson's narration and his general swagger round the Mexican ''jail''. Worth checkin out.

Biutiful 8/10 - A film which you really learn to love a week after you've watched it. Wasn't too impressed after viewing it, but then you put the pieces together. Probably the most ambiguous ending out of all the films I've mentioned, because the fate of Bardems children depend on a scene where your not sure whether it occurs .. or if its one of his on-the-verge-of-death hallucinations. It's really annoying.

Paranormal Activity 4 3/10 - I'm starting to feel bad for the demon in this franchise. In the first few films Toby (the demon) had some menace and purpose. In part 4 he's pretty much a glorified babysitter. He plays with toy trains, chills out in sandpits, takes baths with 5 year olds. Much like PA2 it's a really nice luxurious house so I can understand why Toby might want to kick back and relax by the pool for a while. But when you're playing Xbox dancing games with kids when your supposed to be scaring the shit out out of some random family the demons of hell must be like ''Toby, report back to base. Dude, take the weekend off and see me in my office 8am''

Halfway through watching Cosmopolis :-) Quite talky so far

Then Miike's Hari Kiri - Death Of A Samurai

The Intouchables - Very formulaic, cheap entertainment. Meh.

Holy Motors - Thanks for reminding me this got released. This was extremely well made and very compelling. An unpredictable, kaleidoscopic ride which confuses but does open up with every scene. Will certainly give this another go.

Edited by Ego

watched Tower Heist on HBOgo last night. I really want Eddie Murphy to go back to his old self, but even when he tries to act ghetto it just doesn't work anymore. Sad. Movie wasn't much to remember, but was entertaining.

Also new to HBOgo was We bought a Zoo. I enjoyed this movie, Scarlett Johansson was as precious as always(all though overacting, I didn't care). Matt Damon pulled off somewhat of an endearing roll as a Father dealing with the loss of his wife and taking care of two kids. Standout role was Thomas Haden Church, who played Matt Damons brother. For some reason everytime he spoke, I laughed. Sappy movie but I enjoy the escapist feel good entertainment. I wouldn't mind visiting this zoo, supposedly somewhere in California.

Just returned home from watching Flight in the theatre - 8/10

It's really more about the dangers of alcohol addiction than it is about flying, not unlike the underlying theme of Requiem for a Dream. Denzel Washington did a superb acting job as always. It was pretty raw for a Zemeckis film (same director of Back to the Future), but well done overall.