Malick's the Voyage of Time: Life's Journey. Some extremely lush nature photography can't save this turd. 3 badly animated cgi dinosaurs/10

Edited by Gocab

Malick's the Voyage of Time: Life's Journey. Some extremely lush nature photography can't save this turd. 3 badly animated cgi dinosaurs/10

Oh no! Are they as bad as in The Tree of Life?

Yes. They're only in a couple of shots though.

3/10 is all for the incredible nature shots, maybe it's worth seeing for those alone. Yeah, with some heavy editing this could be a 8/10 nature short.

Edited by Gocab

This is actually a soft reboot of the shining. Pratt is the ships caretaker and ends up going crazy. Fishburn shows up late in the film and gets an ax to the chest, then Pratt gets sent out an airlock by Lawrence and freezes in the vacuum of space.

all of this is probably true

Four Flies On Grey Velvet (1971) is impressive and unexpected. It's Argento's ''lost masterpiece'' according to Shameless ''scanned from the original negative in it's most complete form with all previously lost footage re-inserted''. When you read that on the cover you don't hold out much hope, but this is class. Drummer in a rock band stabs a stalker then gets blackmailed by a sinister entity. Very visually disorientating but has a grip on narrative superior to Argento's later ''golden era'' of the film's we've all seen. It's time to go back and revisit his early shit, y'all. The animal trilogy.

Plus that's a great name for a film. Or even a band.

American Honey, honestly this could've been a great film, ruined singlehandedly by Shia LeBeuf cast in an important role. Imagine watching Kids and having him cast as one of them. Yeah. 4/10

The Handmaiden, fun! 7/10

Since October kicks off on Saturday, who wants to watch as many horror films as possible next month? I've got a bunch lined up, and the Phantasm HD collection drops on Tuesday, my most anticipated. Here's my cue so far:

(some I've seen before)

American Psycho 2

Antibirth

Antichrist

As Above, So Below

Before I Wake

Berberian Sound Studio

Cabin Fever (2016)

Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter

Curse of the Crimson Altar

Dracula A.D. 1972

Evil Dead (2013)

Final Destination 5

Fright Night 2 (2013)

Hell and Back

Hellraiser Revelations

Holidays

Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers

Horror Hospital

Humanoids From the Deep

Idle Hands

Joy Ride 3

Killer Klowns From Outer Space

Killer Workout

Lord of Illusions

Monsters

Mother's Day Massacre

Mythica the Necromancer

Night of the Living Dead (1990)

Nurse 3D

P2

Rabid

Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse

Shivers

Sorority House Massacre

Spring

Star Leaf

The Blood Beast Terror

The Car

The Final Girls

The Last Man on Earth (1964)

The Neighbor

The Raven (2012)

The Serpent and the Rainbow

The Stone Tape

The Strange Colour of Your Body's Tears

The Stuff

The Brood

The Invitation

We Are Still Here

Additional suggestions? Anyone else want to watch some of these as well and compare notes? ?

LOL

American Psycho 2

wha?

LOL

Holy crap... that looks way worse than I thought it would. And that music! Haha! Also, it completely ruins all the fun theories about what actually happens in American Psycho - both in the book and the movie.

Anyone got any good recommendations for a supernatural horror I may not have seen yet? Lake Mungo, The Borderlands, The Taking of Deborah Logan, something like that?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julia%27s_Eyes

Los Ojos de Julia - always got to be said in a dodgy Raul Julia accent. 

Also I'm with Rubin on the horror binge - keep posting updates here as and when. 

Ah yes, remember hearing about this awhile ago but never got around to it so will do this evening, thanks. October is on the way and horror will dominate the month. 

Edited by tec

star trek beyond - this is just shit. poorly directed action, save the crew-save earth-revenge driven villain-self sacrifice story line that's been featured in hundreds of films. everyone's a joke cracker, references bloat, fucking music videos within the film...it's like everything is on cocaine, so tripe, dumb and predictable. i never watched the tv series, just the 90's films, and i remember that it's supposed to be more about interaction with aliens, diplomacy and weird worlds exploration, more or less complex social dilemmas and shit, and there's none of that here. there aren't even aliens, just swarms of cannon fodder that shoot and ram into stuff. i also always liked that uss enterprse slogan: "Space: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise bla bla...", that was shoved to the end of the reboot films and that sequence that followed of camera quickly snapping to and circling all kinds of planets and nebulas and other cool stuff. that was the most interesting thing about this film. the whole thing is like a misuse of sci-fi - there's very little science fictional going on besides the hi tech stuff, there's no wonder, nothing imaginative, nothing to really get you intellectually challenged, even for a bit.

...so exactly the same as the previous two then? sigh. hopefully they can get someone on board for the next one who actually cares and understands what science fiction is actually for, not likely though I'm guessing.

Big budget SF with, like, ideas and stuff is graveyard dead. Unless you count Interstellar.

edit - I can't remember a single thing about Interstellar, so I actually have no idea. 

Edited by doublename

magnificent 7. wholly unnecessary and utterly uninteresting. i did chuckle at the first "so far, so good" joke. really hoping fences is good because washington really can act and it's got that same kind of super compelling (depressing) feeling that revolutionary road had.

Big budget SF with, like, ideas and stuff is graveyard dead. Unless you count Interstellar.

edit - I can't remember a single thing about Interstellar, so I actually have no idea. 

the most compelling stuff in interstellar was the family drama (to me). the scifi stuff was kinda meh

star trek beyond - this is just shit. poorly directed action, save the crew-save earth-revenge driven villain-self sacrifice story line that's been featured in hundreds of films. everyone's a joke cracker, references bloat, fucking music videos within the film...it's like everything is on cocaine, so tripe, dumb and predictable. i never watched the tv series, just the 90's films, and i remember that it's supposed to be more about interaction with aliens, diplomacy and weird worlds exploration, more or less complex social dilemmas and shit, and there's none of that here. there aren't even aliens, just swarms of cannon fodder that shoot and ram into stuff. i also always liked that uss enterprse slogan: "Space: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise bla bla...", that was shoved to the end of the reboot films and that sequence that followed of camera quickly snapping to and circling all kinds of planets and nebulas and other cool stuff. that was the most interesting thing about this film. the whole thing is like a misuse of sci-fi - there's very little science fictional going on besides the hi tech stuff, there's no wonder, nothing imaginative, nothing to really get you intellectually challenged, even for a bit.

Well i wasn't gonna watch it, but now i'm really not gonna watch it. I wonder how many years till the reboot where we're told that it will be 'smart' and 'cater to the real sci-fi fans'. There's so much sci-fi out there in novel form, why don't they just adapt something half decent. I spose most of hollywood's bigwigs really don't understand the genre, so that's why it continues to not happen and we'll just have to wait till CG becomes photoreal with low rendering times and there's oodles of sharable assets and some creative people can fund a campaign to make a visual rendering of something from the massive untouched sci-fi cannon.

VlCC4eQ.jpg

this was vapidly pretentious: from the opening shot where you see the director's initials that go away after his name is spelled out only to appear underneath the title again- it's obvious the director wants very badly to be the new enfant terrible with the minimal dialogue, well composed ponderous yet critical set ups and the faux neon lighting. it would all be kinda interesting if it amounted to something more than just what it is on the surface and not so much more underneath 

someone described this film as being able to "revel in a world of instant gratification". i think that's it.