Originally they were gonna do Blair Witch 3 set in the past, and tell the story of the witch when she was alive, I wanted to see that movie but BW2 bombed and it was shelved.

I guess The Witch comes pretty close, but they never lynched her.

Blue is the Warmest Color.

I enjoyed it, acting was superb, especially the main character, so much was said without being said. I liked how intimate all the shots were, all the close ups. 

A couple caveats, the film had a weird pacing, I still felt like she was in high school by the end of the movie even though years had passed. It didn't feel like a lot of time had passed even though it did, maybe I didn't catch all the subtle changes in mannerisms and decor. Also, sex scenes went on way too long, couldn't help but feel it was male gaze (but there is an interesting, almost self aware conversation about female orgasm mysticism in the film)

I just watched the movie.

I didnt like the ending where they meet again after 3 years, but the rest of the movie was very intimate and beautiful I found. acting is indeed superb: it helps when its so well written. 9/10 movie for me

Edited by Ayya Khema

24LENJY.jpg

a mother and daughter- both named edith beale (eddie for short) live in a huge, though derelict mansion in new york, called gray gardens. the filmmakers document in amazement (and i suppose horror and occasional amusement) as these two argue, sing, bicker and endlessly go on about their past and missed opportunities. it then becomes very evident that both eddie's live in an alternate universe not too far removed from our own. don't believe me?

take a mirror, hold it to your face, now angle it slightly to the side. that's the world, just slightly askew. 

24LENJY.jpg

a mother and daughter- both named edith beale (eddie for short) live in a huge, though derelict mansion in new york, called gray gardens. the filmmakers document in amazement (and i suppose horror and occasional amusement) as these two argue, sing, bicker and endlessly go on about their past and missed opportunities. it then becomes very evident that both eddie's live in an alternate universe not too far removed from our own. don't believe me?

take a mirror, hold it to your face, now angle it slightly to the side. that's the world, just slightly askew. 

jackie o's cousins, right?

^ great film that

yes it's great but it's also mental.

at one point the daughter (Eddie) starts singing and wouldn't stop and you think "oh that's funny. that will get on everyone's nerve" but she literally doesn't stop. you start to go crazy too and before you know it, you want to kill her.

I was convinced at one point she es attractive until she began singing and then it's like you're crucified in their world.

youve been warned

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Grey Gardens is superb, a sublime piece of Americana. There are occasional aristocratic clans here slumming it in outbuildings while their country piles fall into dereliction. Wasnt it Cicero or some famous cunt who said families are either rising or falling

Re-watched The American Friend (1977) & better than remembered, Hitler in particular. The 1970's seem an incredible decade for film-making, so many nations with outstanding variety, but thats for another thread

Blair Witch 2 Book of Shadows - hadn't seen this since being blazed on opening night at the theater, lol.  First of all, there's no fucking book of shadows in the entire movie.  Yeah, it's still terrible but funnier than I remembered, what struck me was what a perfect time capsule of that time it was.  Post 90s millennia, before America got stuck in the 9/11 mind state that poisoned the rest of the decade.  90s alt. rock soundtrack, primitive flat screen monitors (which weren't cheap), wrap around sports headphones, using a phone book, mini DV handycams, goth chick (who had makeup on her entire chest and forearms, wtf), and a young Jeffrey Donovan (Fargo)  playing the Gen X slacker teen was hilarious, complete with goatee.

The Hollow - CG horror shit fest, I turned it off after an hour.

Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates - typical faux stoner comedy, with the requisite goddamned redemption arc.

did Blair Witch 3 reference the year 2000 murders at Coffin Rock, or was that film, BW2 wiped completely from the canon?

Cafe Society - not one of his better films of recent years, but not one of his worst. nothing particularly interesting happens in it, it's occasionally amusing, Jessie Eisenberg continues to annoy the fuck out of me, such an unlikeable actor.

KqrkYQP.jpg

lord this was good. pierce 'do i look good?' brosnan plays a volcanologist who's sent to dante's peak to investigate if their mountain is about to blow. linda 'chiseled as fuck' hamilton plays the mayor. she crushes on brosnan after he does his eyebrow thing whilst frowning and saves her son from a boiling pool. pierce suspects the mountain will blow but his boss downplays the whole thing. betwix the romantic subplot the mountain reigns in on everyone's parade. 

this was really fun. it's a proper 90s vhs blockbuster type film complete with some rather large, elaborate sets and a good mixture of practical and miniature sets to sell the whole thing.

ten frowning irish eyebrows out of ten

the only thing I remember from the "volcano" period of 90s disaster movies (was that before or after the "tornado" era? after, I think?) was that bit in Volcano with TLJ where the guy melts into the lava.

lol found it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R01bex9Ejvg

btw Neb, if you're into this sort of thing right now, check out Daylight with ol' Sly Stallone. I legit enjoy that movie still.

Edited by usagi