Chappie - this seemed like they made WAY too many concessions to get Die Antwoord into the film, and it destroyed the suspension of disbelief; "we want to be the main characters", "we want to use our own names", "we want to use our own music", "we want to wear our own merchandise".  Their acting was mostly ok, til the 3rd act then it got ridiculous.  I think Blomkamp realized it bit him in the ass from what I've read of Ninja's antics on set.  Basically, Short Circuit meets Robocop, including the requisite Indian engineer.

KqrkYQP.jpg

lord this was good. pierce 'do i look good?' brosnan plays a volcanologist who's sent to dante's peak to investigate if their mountain is about to blow. linda 'chiseled as fuck' hamilton plays the mayor. she crushes on brosnan after he does his eyebrow thing whilst frowning and saves her son from a boiling pool. pierce suspects the mountain will blow but his boss downplays the whole thing. betwix the romantic subplot the mountain reigns in on everyone's parade. 

this was really fun. it's a proper 90s vhs blockbuster type film complete with some rather large, elaborate sets and a good mixture of practical and miniature sets to sell the whole thing.

ten frowning irish eyebrows out of ten

How could you forget the nan sacrificing herself for the family?

twister is the worst of all

[youtubehd]525xrI009qQ[/youtubehd]

this scene still makes me lol

That vid won't play here for some reason, but I assume its this:

This scene is almost dear to me.

I remember watching this movie back in the day as a kid. I only remember this scene. It's hard to explain what it did to me when I first experienced it. The whole 'scale' crescendo, everyone going into silent shock at her question, and the answer of the guy with glasses... It made me feel so uncomfortable, something I never felt before with any movie. Why would people talk like that? What's with the 'shock'? What's with that finger of god line? It was bullshit. It was complete and utter bullshit that was trying to be passed off as something 'deep' or 'emotional'. I'm sure I had seen similar things in movies prior to that, but that was the first time it made me stop and go "wait... what?". It slapped me in the face and hit me in the gut. It was obvious manipulative made-up corny horseshit and I saw right through the mechanics of it. It was the first time I felt a movie offended my intellect. My first proper movie cringe.

This scene is solely responsible for kickstarting my cynicism towards mainstream movies, and perhaps life in general.

lol

someone needs to edit that very last shot of him sinking into the lava and splice in terminator giving up the thumbs up

giphy.gif

yes! also, the end of alien 3 needs the same treatment. Wanted to do that but then couldn't be arsed. Someone, pls!

The Boy - I should have seen the end coming but didn't, I actually enjoyed this a fair bit. Creepy dolls are creepy. Bishop Brennan getting kicked up the arse would have improved it but then just seeing him was a pleasure. 

B-b-but Blake

What about her? She wasn't terrible but the acting was so stilted. Sure, she's a pretty lady but it's gonna take more than a small bikini to and laughable cgi to make this movie worth watching.

Oh, and she befriends a seagull and is a medical student so she can fix herself up.

Android (1982) - Kinski and three other sex starved males lust after one female. It has the legendary Max 404 as the main character. Hello, my name is Max! Kinski's wig is very impressive indeed. Wigtastic/10

the shallows

there's a weird new thing in movies where we get to see a character text someone and the text displays on screen like a pop up ad and this movie pretty much maxes out its quota of cell phone use within the first five minutes where we hang with blake lively while she uses her cell phone because it's 2016 and filmmakers know the most interesting thing you can do is show audiences the device that would most distract them from the film they're watching because, like, we're always connected, man. anyway that happens then an extremely ugly cgi shark chases this bitch around a cove until it impales itself on a trident.

is blake lively hot or does her face seem a little haggard and goofy? while i was watching this i also watched london has fallen in a separate window. i tuned out for twenty minutes until i noticed explosions. apparently the guy from 300 is secret service for the guy i always think is thomas jane, although i wasn't clear if he was the president because morgan freeman is also in this movie playing a kind of greek chorus and he usually plays the president. that's all i got for that one. apparently i've had a tab running with tibetan singing bowl meditation playing at a low level during these films. i didn't notice.

Edited by keanu reeves

the shallows

there's a weird new thing in movies where we get to see a character text someone and the text displays on screen like a pop up ad and this movie pretty much maxes out its quota of cell phone use within the first five minutes where we hang with blake lively while she uses her cell phone because it's 2016 and filmmakers know the most interesting thing you can do is show audiences the device that would most distract them from the film they're watching because, like, we're always connected, man.

I noticed that as well and I told my girlfriend, "that's just like in that terrible film Non-Stop with Liam Neeson!". A couple of minutes later the movie was already boring the shit out of me so I decided to look up the director's previous movies and lo and behold... turns out he directed Non-Stop.

Also, Blake Lively's skin color in this film was very close to Trump's.

is blake lively hot or does her face seem a little haggard and goofy? while i was watching this i also watched london has fallen in a separate window. i tuned out for twenty minutes until i noticed explosions. apparently the guy from 300 is secret service for the guy i always think is thomas jane, although i wasn't clear if he was the president because morgan freeman is also in this movie playing a kind of greek chorus and he usually plays the president. that's all i got for that one. apparently i've had a tab running with tibetan singing bowl meditation playing at a low level during these films. i didn't notice.

lol

Blake Lively was an odd casting choice for Cafe Society, seemed out of place in a Woody Allen film. She wasn't actually that bad though, but didn't have a huge amount to do.

The Neon Demon was pretty terrible, went in expecting style over substance and it delivered. Some really nice photography, and Cliff Martinez's synthy score was great, but it was interminably dull for the first 2/3rds of the movie, the ending was kind of fun though, pretty demented. 

btw Neb, if you're into this sort of thing right now, check out Daylight with ol' Sly Stallone. I legit enjoy that movie still.

yes. watched that in the theaters back in the day. i always wanted to watch dante's peak but never seemed to get around to it.

How could you forget the nan sacrificing herself for the family?

that was a great scene. the cgi when they were on that boat as it was slowly beginning to sink was fantastic. and pierce 'hey- you have to admit i look damn good' brosnan wrapping a jacket around his hand then using that to paddle lol

Arena (1989)

Thoroughly enjoyed this!...perhaps more than I should have, but gosh darn it you gotta love the imagination.

80's Sci-fi B-movies don't get better than this...great practical effects throughout

Steve Armstrong/10

220px-Arenaposter89.jpg

Arena (1989)

Thoroughly enjoyed this!...perhaps more than I should have, but gosh darn it you gotta love the imagination.

80's Sci-fi B-movies don't get better than this...great practical effects throughout

Steve Armstrong/10

220px-Arenaposter89.jpg

Fucking loved this movie as a kid. it was on HBO every god damned day during the summer in the early 90s. Same goes for Robot Jox.

If you thought Gravity and Interstellar were completely improbable, this one's got them beat. Why do we need an announcement at the beginning of the trailer telling us what trailer we're about to watch?  I know what trailer I'm about to watch because I clicked on the name of the fucking trailer I wanted to watch! lol

If you thought Gravity and Interstellar were completely improbable, this one's got them beat. Why do we need an announcement at the beginning of the trailer telling us what trailer we're about to watch?  I know what trailer I'm about to watch because I clicked on the name of the fucking trailer I wanted to watch! lol

They added a teaser to the trailer.

Also, I'm getting really sick and tired of Jennifer Lawrence.

Guest bitroast

very clever of them to just re-use the entire production style and art assets from WALL-E.

sure it probably saved them a lot of valuable time and money.