Ghost Stories
Recent anthology'ish stylish horror, with a bit of black comedy thrown in. Warp produced so you know it'll be of interest. Was a good time!

Eye of the White
Thanks to whomever suggested this a while back - absolutley loved it! Trippy psychedlic slasher. Great Arizona locations, amazing ending. Highly recommeded!

Nightmare on Elm street III: Dream Warriors
Was pretty good! Some amazing practical effects and lots of Freddy saying 'bitch', so whats not to enjoy.

Fucking hell the new Predator looks like shit in these recent trailers.

Yeah. . . I mean, wth. . . I want to believe Shane Black will do Predator justice but nothing seen so far bodes well. . .

rewatched Blair Witch, which is still good fun, and then tried this Spanish flick Veronica, which is super fucking cheeseball.

Lol so weird . . . we recently rewatched BW and then followed up soon thereafter w/ Veronica. . .for a film that was being touted as "SO SCARY PEOPLE CAN'T EVEN FINISH IT!!!" it gave me all the mehs. . .

it was shit, man. I knew it was gonna be after that early ouija board scene with the CGI scream mouth.

Yeah, and, then, oh wait, HERE'S A SCARY BLIND NUN LOOKING THROUGH A WINDOW WHO WILL EVENTUALLY DROP PLOT RELEVANT EXPOSITION WHILE CHAIN SMOKING!!! THE HORROR!!!

Unrelated: You might like this flick - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3096858/    It's a pretty tight found footage piece that doesn't take itself all that seriously/is pretty self-aware of what it's trying to be (so doesn't fall into many of the traps of most of these types of films). Worth it for the last 15 minutes alone. . .

EDIT: link directly to netflix seems borked - u can just search it tho

Edited by T3551ER

will check it out. the found-footage niche has had pretty limited creative returns post-Blair Witch but if it's funny it might add something more.

I've just been watching movies on a sick day today so I added another one: Thoroughbreds, a noir-ish thriller/black comedy set in the world of perpetual ennui and self-centredness specific to upper class teenage white girls. Anya Taylor-Joy is great but Olivia Cooke, who I'd never seen before in anything, is even better as an emotionless weirdo. also it has Anton Yelchin in one of his last roles and he's good too.

rewatched Blair Witch, which is still good fun, and then tried this Spanish flick Veronica, which is super fucking cheeseball.

Is that the veronica about the kids and the ouija board or the veronica about the psychotherapist? Cause the one about the psychotherapist was pretty ok. The one about the kids and the ouija board was super fucking cheeseball tbqh.

hostiles

I don’t like Scott coopers movies and this one is no exception. pretty interesting performance from bale and a lot of talented actors (wed studi, Timothee chalamet) are wasted on another solemn, dreary morality tale. it isn’t even historically accurate. by 1892 the Comanche had all but been wiped out and driven to reservations, especially in Colorado. And a number of army men were sympathetic to the plight of the indigenous people despite doing a job that destroyed them. This movie also has very poor optics. The entire story focuses on the inner turmoil of a white officer, and the native characters are relegated to background roles where they barely speak. There is some respect to the language and I liked that they didn’t overdo the stoic tribesman trope, but even bales character arc is unbelievable and doesn’t make any internal sense. Big waste of time, too bad because there’s endless material to mine for a movie about this period where both sides are given their due. Read “the earth is weeping” if you want a good overview of the Indian wars that’s also way more absorbing and dramatic than this.

It's going to great and I am so hyped and fucking goosebumps yay reebots I'm not even joking very cool

HEREDITARY- loved it,had to watch again the next day,so many details and effects easily missed on first viewing,great acting,super creepy score and vibe all the way through had me on edge,i avoided spoilers and so glad i did,best horror in a long while for me- HAIL PAIMON!

Edited by sunshine recorder

Upgrade - Robocop meets Knight Rider, low budget sci-fi revenge thing, with some good twists and turns plot wise. The low budget was obvious a few times with the production design (especially the cars, which take you out of it from time to time, and some inconsistent use of CG in the backgrounds), extensive use of low lighting to hide things; but they did a pretty decent job with what they were working with. Good fight scenes, inventive direction, acting was also pretty decent given the lack of recognisable names (Logan Marshall Green in the lead role was the only guy I recognised). Was pleasantly surprised.

mojave

it's like neil breen watched the justin theroux parts of mulholland drive and read camus and decided to make a movie about those two things. i have no idea why this exists, how it got made, why mark wahlberg is in it, why the two central characters end every sentence with the word "brother", going so far as to call a little dog "brother". i don't know if this is supposed to be satire, parody, serious, arty...i'm totally lost. excruciating. if some film nerd tells you a24 is the only good thing about movies anymore, show him this and ruin his day.

hereditary -  some people here (who won't be named) are definitely overhyping this. apart from the truly masterful and horrifying sequence of the accident and the aftermath it's pretty much a horror kitchen-sink of a film. you got pretty much every non-normie horror ingredient thrown in and a scene to work it. it gradually loses the thematic stuff and becomes a kind of an amusement park house of horrors thing rather than something that really gets under your skin. it's effective and well made and all that, and numerous bricks were admittedly shat, but despite throwing some crumbs with hints of ambition for something more significant and deeper in the first half, ultimately it doesn't leave you with anything but those pretty superficial thrills.

I agree with Eugene on this one. For a good portion of the film I thought, oh wow somebody actually made a profound horror film without resorting to dumb clichés and tropes, and then I thought, oh right here they come... It still was pretty damned good, but damn son, it could've been so much better.