I've seen that, it was ok. As you said, a bit too much on the nose.

I also just watched Mandy, thanks Eugene! Unlike him I fucking loved it (as in the parts he didn't think worked, worked as a mothefucker as far as I'm concerned). Booyah! Special shout out the soundtrack man!

Edited by Gocab

Watched Marketa Lazarova (1967) the other night. Jaw dropping cinematography. The sound was jarring at first as all the dialogue was recorded ADR with reverb/echo on it. Soon got into it though.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/_vn5Tx6gH60

Also watched The BlacKKKlansman. Enjoyed it a lot. Classic Spike Lee.

Edit: Failed to embed the trailer  :mellow:

Edited by Guest

I recognised your av as I've had the Marketa Lazarova dvd reissue for literally ten years and never watched it. Maybe now is the time...

Yeah, it's definitely got stuck in my head, hence the av. It's a bit of a slog but worth it. Would make a great, although tough, double bill along with Aleksei German's 2013 version of Hard To Be A God.

I just watched Transcendence. Johnny Depp dies and becomes a computer ghost where every buzzword you can think of is a literally magic plot device and 'weird' scenes try to serve as a story. Everything tries to be super heady but is just weightlessly empty and every line is pointless. They tried to condense what should've been a a season or two of mediocre television into a 2 hour shitty movie. Action scenes are weak and boring (and 100% superfluous), and the music is even more phoned in than Depp's 'performance.' An example of the worst kind of Hollywood: a soulless attempt at art trying to comment about soullessness. 

/dramatic overthought review

I just watched Transcendence. Johnny Depp dies and becomes a computer ghost where every buzzword you can think of is a literally magic plot device and 'weird' scenes try to serve as a story. Everything tries to be super heady but is just weightlessly empty and every line is pointless. They tried to condense what should've been a a season or two of mediocre television into a 2 hour shitty movie. Action scenes are weak and boring (and 100% superfluous), and the music is even more phoned in than Depp's 'performance.' An example of the worst kind of Hollywood: a soulless attempt at art trying to comment about soullessness.

/dramatic overthought review

Dear god, you actually watched it?

Recently got the remastered blu-ray of Miracle Mile, one of my favorite 80s flicks. It finally has a widescreen anamorphic transfer which looks great, and extras like new interviews with the cast, etc. 11/10

I wonder how one changes the aspect ratio of a film (I guess that's what you mean when saying widescreen transfer?). Is it originally shot in anamorphic widescreen and then reduced to the format that was common at these days and they just used the actual frame it was shot in for the remaster while the original master didn't use the sides of the frame? Or do they cut off upper and lower edges and resize it? I mean anamorphic lenses have been around for a long time so I wonder if they used to just cut off the left and right side to make it displayable appropriately on the old screen format which would allow it to widen the image for a new remaster if you have the raw footage/film rolls.

Recently gave New Jack City a re-watch. The Ice-T/Judd Nelson (and to a lesser extent, Mario Van Peebles) dynamic in this film is so awkward and out of place but it would have made a great cop show. Judd Nelson would have made way more sense over Benjamin Bratt as a Stabler replacement for SVU. 

Also, how this film shoehorns in classic action movie tropes (the mechanics of The Carter operation, the raid of The Carter) is really funny. One of those movies where the implausibilities make it more entertaining.

Recently got the remastered blu-ray of Miracle Mile, one of my favorite 80s flicks. It finally has a widescreen anamorphic transfer which looks great, and extras like new interviews with the cast, etc. 11/10

I wonder how one changes the aspect ratio of a film (I guess that's what you mean when saying widescreen transfer?). Is it originally shot in anamorphic widescreen and then reduced to the format that was common at these days and they just used the actual frame it was shot in for the remaster while the original master didn't use the sides of the frame? Or do they cut off upper and lower edges and resize it? I mean anamorphic lenses have been around for a long time so I wonder if they used to just cut off the left and right side to make it displayable appropriately on the old screen format which would allow it to widen the image for a new remaster if you have the raw footage/film rolls.

The film had only received pan and scan transfers on VHS and DVD for years, then Amazon started on demand printing of a new DVD master, which then materialized as an official blu-ray release. It looks amazing.

Bone Tomahawk - Well, fuck...

It's a fun one, I liked it in a way. Tho I've expected something very different as it was recommended to me as a horror movie lol

It was recommended to me as a western. I had no idea what was coming.

Super Dark Times. story was serviceable but where it excelled was in the visuals, sound and mood. I liked it.

also watched this weird little horror-drama thing about a young boy in NYC who thinks he's a vampire, called The Transfiguration. mixed feelings but it was alright.

Watched Solo, it was so dark and dingy I fell asleep, everything seemed underlit and the stuff that wasn't was backlit. Weird choice. What I did see was pretty bad, the lead is completely miscast.

I also saw this 4K transfer of the original cinematic cut of Star Wars: A new hope, it looked incredible (watched the DNR version). Suck it George!

Edited by Gocab

Call Me By Your Name

I truly enjoyed it, a very nice representation of love, also nice to see a gay film without the arbitrary social note. I have to see what else this filmmaker made.