On 3/7/2021 at 8:04 PM, kichiguy said:

The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover

Recently revisited this classic and holy smokes it was even better on second rewatch! Amazing sets, costumes, soundtrack and acting all around. Packed to the brim with crazy attention to detail and mad tracking shots. Really just a perfectly executed film in my books. I'm wondering if anyone has any other recommendations from Peter Greenaway's filmography?!

finished the tulse luper suitcases television series. highly recommended for us greenaway peeps (me, @kichiguy and sandra chechik and nobody else.?)

Edited by Nebraska
  • Like 1

Ok, gotta give it to The Batman. I did not even consider they had filmed a lot of this movie against LED screens. Looked so much better than the new Spider Man movie and its stupid studio lights. 

• Like 1

1301374.jpg

this was great, but it's your typical 70s libertine 'coming of age' story with soul crushingly beautiful dames in 'barely there' dress

• Like 2
  • Farnsworth 1

I love that movie.

Finally watched the Batman, it was way better than it deserves to be, and also too long. Clever lush sequences and likeable stuff all round, and some goofy dumb shit, because super heroes. 20 muzzle flares in the dark/10

Edit: I've been watching artless shit films and TV lately, so I'm probably way too positive. My brain tells me it was a 6/10.

Edited by Silent Member
  • Like 1

Doctor Strange in Multiverse of Madness - This was a mess, another Marvel film jumbled in the pandemic. This movie and Spider-Man had to switch places in release schedule, and it shows on both films. Strange disappeared for the majority of Spider-Man, and here, the scenes feel like modular components of a film assembled in the wrong order. The editing and pacing are the main issues, making a less coherent film get more incomprehensible as it goes along. The easter eggs are good:

Spoiler

Illuminati, Xavier, Black Bolt, Krazynski as Reed Richards, Living Tribunal, 2099, are good. Baron Mordo seems unnecessary as an antagonist. This is basically a remake of WandaVision, albeit with not much improvement in story or character. If you've seen that show, and What If..., and Loki, you've seen much better versions of this story. The repeated use of the phrase Incursion means they are setting up Secret Wars, eventually.

It has a lot of Raimi-isms; quick zooms, comedic punching, way too bombastic Danny Elfman score (weird). Maybe Scott Derrickson would have been a better director after all. C+

Damn, I'll still watch it eventually, because Raimi ?

Almost finished the new Bond film. Never a massive fan of 007, but I guess it’s just a fact of life that I’ll end up watching every one. I did like Sky Fall, probably my favourite. This seems like a massive boring, clichéd steaming pile of horseshit. I started it yesterday flol and grudgingly decided to finish it today. Most of which I’ve spent talking to my mates on WhatsApp. Is it as bad as I imagine? Or is it that I’m obviously not in the mood for it and should of watched a horror film instead. Or Mighty T in The Sopranos.

3/10

Edited by beerwolf

In the Tall Grass - adaptation of Stephen King and Joe Hill (his son) novella by the director who did Splice and Cube. Fanfuckingtastic. One of the most Stephen King feeling movies (I mean, as in, it translates the feel of his books when you're reading it into something that works visually), but also more bizarre in some aspects. Definitely some Cube like vibes here, won't say more. A solid pop horror effort, 9.5/10. 

Bodycam - I watched about 10 minutes, fast forwarded through most of the rest and then turned it off. Some nice visual touches to this horror flick but Maru J. Blige (sry Mary) can't act her way out of a paper bag. I think there's some interesting commentary on policy violence but let's face it no one will ever sit through this entire film yo know foe sure. 

Batman:Ninja - I'm about 30 minutes in. Made by the same team who did Afro Samurai. Gorilla Grod has a time machine that transports (accidentally) Arkham Asylum back to Fuedal Japan. It's bonkers. Totally OTT, dumb dialogue, Catwomans boobies are like size Z, batmobile turns into batwing turns into batcycle turns into ... a mech? Basically, it's completely awesome and takes less than 0 thought to fully enjoy. Imbibe quantity for maximum enjoyment. 

18 hours ago, Squee said:

The Northman

Started out pretty good and then Madam Tussauds’ Nicole Kidman showed up.

2,5/5

mediocre in every sense.  first of all- there are too many ritualistic scenes and almost every time they happened they had this awkward design and execution about them.
there's also not much to the story and it doesn't help that it feels like they're filming it a few miles from the country bed & breakfast everyone is staying at. add to that anyone who's even remotely close to being an actor is wasted (everyone except alexander skarsgård who's only line of direction was to walk around with his shoulders as high as they would go)

0/5

29 minutes ago, Nebraska said:

mediocre in every sense.  first of all- there are too many ritualistic scenes and almost every time they happened they had this awkward design and execution about them.
there's also not much to the story and it doesn't help that it feels like they're filming it a few miles from the country bed & breakfast everyone is staying at. add to that anyone who's even remotely close to being an actor is wasted (everyone except alexander skarsgård who's only line of direction was to walk around with his shoulders as high as they would go)

0/5

Hahah, yes!
In general, the acting was piss poor. Willem Dafoe was great as always, but it seemed like everyone had just come out of theater school and did their damnedest to get their emotions across so even the people in the back knew what feelings they were trying to convey. And then the shoulders went up again.

Wow, first time watch and absolutely loved this flick. Laugh out loud funny, Jennifer Jason Leigh's performance is amazing, and the production design/miniatures are wonderful! Reminded me of "Brazil" and "Being There"

Ya know, for kids...

The Hudsucker Proxy streaming: where to watch online?

• Like 3
  • Big Brain 1