IGNORED

Aleksi Perälä - The Colundi Sequence

Herr Jan

the mean spirited part is accusing definitely not-rich electronic music artists of making music for money. as if that was a bad thing or something to look down upon.

the problem lies with the imo excessive amount of very similar tunes he's put out in recent years. i call that milking the cow.

the cowlundi for that matter :P

I agree with both of you. On one hand, it’s way too much material. Every time I look to explore it, I just scroll endlessly and pick another artist. On the other hand, he isn’t making any more money by putting his stuff out there in the way that he is doing it. He isn’t milking anything, he is just sharing his progress.

I don’t know what his bank balance is but I seriously doubt he’s getting rich off of the batches of tracks he’s releasing.

From what I can see it’s for the love. The love is in the tracks.

The haters can step off.

I don’t know what his bank balance is but I seriously doubt he’s getting rich off of the batches of tracks he’s releasing.

From what I can see it’s for the love. The love is in the tracks.

The haters can step off.

yeah the love of being able to pay the rent :trollface:

btw i never said he was getting rich by releasing tunes that way. i was simply pointing out the fact that repeating the same thing over and over is a creative dead end and a pain for the listener, and that i believe the only reason an experienced musician would do so is because they need the money. not making good money out of it doesn't keep me from condemning it.

we-want-the-money-lebowski.jpg

btw astrobotnia part 3 is one of my favourite albums ever. i find a lot of colundi uninspired and self-indulgent in comparison, self-indulgence being the musician's kryptonite imo. i really don't care for syro for that same reason.

He isn’t milking anything, he is just sharing his progress.

what progress? "look, this track is in a different key", "this one uses a different scale". big deal. do you really need to release every possible variation that's based on these parameters? formally trained musicians don't publish every single etude they make, thank god for that.

what about the "ten ragas to a disco beat" album then? well, it's one concept album, not 30 zillions.

"formally trained musicians"

i understand the sentiment of finding the colundi releases boring. but some of these arguments and reasonings sound identical to when i was in high school, and would show dumb egghead teenagers drukqs on my ipod nano and they would say "this is just doof doof garbage that anyone could make on a computer. try listening to a real band who actually know how to play an instrument and write songs."

Edited by bitchroast

The thing about Colundi for me is the sheer scale is part of the appeal. That Aleksi can keep up the quality control while applying the Colundi process to his old bag of tricks; breaks, techno, ambient. Its what keeps me listening. The massive volume of releases means I never really spend too much time with each one, maybe he's trying to say something about the ephemeral nature of techno i dunno.

And yeah the series occasionally runs into longueurs especially on some of the more austere minimal material, and I don't buy any of the cod spirital mumbo jumbo but overall Im still pretty excited to see where the project goes which is not bad going considering its entering its 5th year.

Also most of its up on streaming services as well so its not some cash-grab.

Edited by The CIA

what progress? "look, this track is in a different key", "this one uses a different scale". big deal. do you really need to release every possible variation that's based on these parameters? formally trained musicians don't publish every single etude they make, thank god for that.

what about the "ten ragas to a disco beat" album then? well, it's one concept album, not 30 zillions.

who are you to define what musical parameters and varations that are worth pursuing? if the guy wants to publish 15 million colundi sequences generated by an artificial intelligence then he can do so. nothing wrong with that. you can always choose to not listen. stop your ignorant whining and make something worth listening to yourself.

who are you to define what musical parameters and varations that are worth pursuing? if the guy wants to publish 15 million colundi sequences generated by an artificial intelligence then he can do so. nothing wrong with that. you can always choose to not listen. stop your ignorant whining and make something worth listening to yourself.

i really don't see what's ignorant about what i said, feel free to elaborate. 

also, me making music or not, whether good or mediocre, is irrelevant. me being this or that is irrelevant as well. i gave my opinion, you disagree with it, all is well. 

classic forum melt there...

your discussion is also part of the colundi sequence parametric equation though

hey guys what if i did the impossible and made a playlist of the best colundi tracks. what about that. just imagine it. seems too good to be true. a herculean task

Please!

what happened with the colundi island bullshit in the end?

They never managed to raise enough money so it been cancelled for now..

I really like the whole Colundi story and most of the music he put's out, but I went to see him play live a few weeks ago, and from watching him it didn't seem very live at all so I had a little sneak around the back to see what he was actually doing.. It was just a laptop with his DAW playing a 90 min pre-arranged "set". It was by no means bad in any way, and in fact it was a lot of fun all the way though, but I kind of wish I hadn't sneaked a peak as it took away some of the joy of seeing him play "live".