IGNORED

Burial - Rival Dealer

bubbhasdance

Come down to us hit me really, really fucking hard. When the ending voiceover came in, I thought it sounded hokey.. but when the transgendered thing was said.. I kind of broke down. I've been dealing with some serious gender dysphoria for the last 6 years. It's something that I thought I had defeated a few years ago, but it came back this year. It feels like this track just describes everything I'm going through right now. I'm with someone really incredible, and she embraces me for who I am. We're moving in together tomorrow.. and fuck. Burial just seems to have this knack for making music that lines up with my life really hauntingly. Love this EP, can't wait to listen to the rest of it with my significant other.

/emotional bullshit

If the rest of the album is anything like this track, I'm going to love it. Burial just keeps pleasantly surprising me. I can see why this album is probably really polarizing for people. I love it, personally.

I personally can't stand any of Burial's music. I find it ridiculously overhyped, very simplistic, very poorly produced, and very "hokey" and gimmicky (yeah I get it, static, some ambient noise to make this or that sample dramatic...). The autotuned vocal samples throughout make me cringe..

That being said!!! I'm very very happy you've found some sort of connection with it. I hope it helps you through this tough time and that your "tough time" is very short...

Takes a lot of courage to even address gender topics...

Godspeed

A lot of people tend to have stories about when Burial "clicked" with them emotionally, but nothing like that. Thanks for sharing that, that's quite personal and I can only assume was fairly difficult to bring up. I wish you all the best.

• Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Come down to us hit me really, really fucking hard. When the ending voiceover came in, I thought it sounded hokey.. but when the transgendered thing was said.. I kind of broke down. I've been dealing with some serious gender dysphoria for the last 6 years. It's something that I thought I had defeated a few years ago, but it came back this year. It feels like this track just describes everything I'm going through right now. I'm with someone really incredible, and she embraces me for who I am. We're moving in together tomorrow.. and fuck. Burial just seems to have this knack for making music that lines up with my life really hauntingly. Love this EP, can't wait to listen to the rest of it with my significant other.

/emotional bullshit

If the rest of the album is anything like this track, I'm going to love it. Burial just keeps pleasantly surprising me. I can see why this album is probably really polarizing for people. I love it, personally.

:hugz:

What was he thinking putting in that beat half way thru hiders

This and a few other elements in the tracks, like the DJ scratching in come down to us, if removed would make the EP so much better. I still like it but i'm sure he has alternative versions of the tracks with the shitty elements excluded that I would love to hear

Indeed, my first listen to 'Untrue' left me cold... It was after roughly the fourth listen that I started to understand what was running through this music that made it resonate specially for so many people.

Nostalgia is a very complex and personal notion. On this EP Burial has bottled and distilled nostalgia in a way that at once may seem akin to skimming the insubstantial froth from the surface of the cultural meme-pool. Only after our personal projections upon Burial's career-arc are left unrequited can the sheer emotional depth of this work reveal itself.

Sincerity is an important hallmark of Burial's work as Joshuatx has pointed out a few times in this thread.

Some have already speculated that Bevan's framing here is intentional, possibly speaking to his own personal experiences.

some does not equal "that drunk sounding dude from FACT"

decent review overall upon first skim, he noticed some samples I hadn't read elsewhere

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/18820-burial-rival-dealer-ep/

Got a 9.0 on pitchfork (best new music) with Come Down To Us being a best new track. lol

*pumps hand fist and thus accidentally emits a piece of anal poop*

"Hey! I'm in a Euro *phoooort* Club!"

Got a 9.0 on pitchfork (best new music) with Come Down To Us being a best new track. lol

Though I like the ep, I don't adore it.

What even is happening with this rating. It's higher than what they rated Untrue, Kindred and Truant/Roughsleeper

What a bunch of deaf downies

Guest Ron Manager

I really don't get people picking on the production values. That stick is overcompressed. That bass could have done with a 12 dB roll off at 68.3Hz. I find his placing of pieces so natural and honest, and emotionally so far above the pristine workery of more technically correct producers that it's ridiculous to pick on stuff like that. It melds together so well as a cloud of voices that all that irrelevant to me.

i agree. while it's interesting to read how others would have done Burial's EP, i'm not sure why you'd criticise such specific aspects of his sound. i'm sure he was capable of x or y, but the fact is he didn't, and ultimately there's probably an artistic reason behind that choice.

now watmm is invaded by dumbasses comparing soundforge amateurs to professional musicians

lol @ judging music based on which software it has been made in.

Pure WATMM logic right there.

http://boomkat.com/vinyl/879983-burial-rival-dealer

Is this what you guys are looking forward to?

Lolz.

Geez, I heard the first previews that got taken down and thought 'well, it's pretty much Burial by numers' but just heard those Boomkat ones and ... what on earth is that noise ?!

To my [admittedly old fashioned and pretentious] ears, Burial seems like the 'unnecessary American remake' of the original Japanese version of this sort of thing

https://soundcloud.com/miasmah/kreng-works-for-abattoir-4

(Erm, swapping the countries to Britain and Norway respectively - the aforementioned countries for just to make the shonky metaphor more overt)

I seriously dislike Hiders - can't find any good qualities in that track.

Starting to warm up to Come Down to us though, despite that autotune killing it a bit.

Listened to this twice last night and enjoyed it but still not sure exactly what to make of it! Think it will grow on me and either way it is definitely a very interesting listen!

Think it could be an important e.p in terms of his development as opens up lots of new territory for him. Though most say he was never really dubstep, to me he was, or at least I could still see his roots in late Garage/early dubstep... but the tracks on this are something else! Anyhow looking forward to listening and exploring this EP further

This EP is definitely growing on me too, it sounds so earnest and beautiful. It sounds like all that R&B in the 90s that was on the radio when I was a kid (and never really liked, but now do like because of nostalgia reasons) is being wrapped up in a dream, it feels so familiar in a good way.

Like the way Bochum Welt seems to be able to distill all the lovely sounds from the 80s/90s and use them in those lovely tunes like Baph etc

Guest jasondonervan

this new ep is like taking a photo of your penis and put it on every computer's desktop.

rival dealer is burial feat jean alesi

hiders wham!

come down to us final fantasy XXVIII

I give this review a Pitchfork 9.0

this new ep is like taking a photo of your penis and put it on every computer's desktop.

rival dealer is burial feat jean alesi

hiders wham!

come down to us final fantasy XXVIII

I give this review a Pitchfork 9.0

thanks! ヽ( °◇°)ノ

Inviato dal mio Nexus 4 utilizzando Tapatalk

What was he thinking putting in that beat half way thru hiders

This and a few other elements in the tracks, like the DJ scratching in come down to us, if removed would make the EP so much better. I still like it but i'm sure he has alternative versions of the tracks with the shitty elements excluded that I would love to hear

Your "shitty elements" are some of my favorite things about those tracks. Especially Hiders, what would even be left of that one if you removed its beat?

Those elements do undermine the tracks, but that's a good thing because what's being undermined was at risk of becoming some seriously tedious melodramatic shit without those additions. To me they drive home the point that this is an uplifting feel-good release, it is schmaltzy but in a happy not a sad way, more "Anorak Christmas" than "In The Ghetto".

Archived