IGNORED

Burial - Rival Dealer

bubbhasdance

• Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://soundcloud.com/beriel4furtit2k13/rivel-beriel

this parody is actually better than the original beriel, oh well...

Yeah it's an oddly tame (yet appropriate) parody. Sounds more like Burial than the new Burial. Whereas I'm sure the new real Burial sounds (to many) closer to this:

lol, forgot how great that was

cool that he tries something else yet once again, more rain samples, more crackling, more pitchifted moaning

i like surprises and confusion in music, exai and yeezus are my favorites this year, but i don't think the ep will ever reach the same level

not getting it right now

I haven't heard any samples/leaks yet and I don't intend to. I will still be buying it and giving it a proper listen, and if the majority of opinions I've seen about it so far are accurate and I don't like it, I guess I'll just write this particular release off. or I may come round to the cheese and love it. :shrug: ya don' know

he's been trying out different things with these EP-type releases he's been doing lately so it stands to reason that some of them will work and some won't. he's had a pretty fucking strong run with Street Halo, Kindred and Rough Sleeper so I don't think he's "done" by any means. I applaud him for not getting stuck in that rut that you can end up in after you've released two hugely acclaimed idiosyncratic albums and are under pressure to live up to them.

also lol, that FACT article is driven mainly by their butthurt over the AAA and being constantly slagged everywhere for being a bunch of tabloid casuals generally. lol's on you FACT, you ain't got nothin' to say. other than trying to frame Rival Dealer as a statement about Burial's sexuality (ugh, what the fuck).

it's very visual for me.

the cheesy/ridiculous parts in 'hiders' and 'come down to us' just make me smile and picture shopping centres in the 90s with the xmas music going in the background. mums scurrying about the place doing last minute shopping. m8s and their women walking home in the drizzle after a night out.

it's retrospective but more easy-going/fun/tongue in cheek than melancholic this time round.

it's fun to me. i don't know why people would get upset over this

In my ears he went from cheese+dubby grit+experimentation to cheese+New wave synth demos+old tricks. I am also coming down from my glue buzz right now and everything feels terrible. *looks at rare pictures of rdj*

other than trying to frame Rival Dealer as a statement about Burial's sexuality (ugh, what the fuck).

that was cheap - kind of had that immature "i'm not saying that he's sexually confused...but" set-up

maybe he's just a fan of lana and the wachowskis' films? the speech sample also had bits about "opening new worlds and new doors" and there's plenty of other sample and reference connections that we could all make based on that bit - i dunno

(kind of burnt out for today discussion wise)

I really love it. Ridiculously cheesy in places, to the point where I was shaking my head and grinning in confusion, but it gets two thumbs up from me. Maybe it's not as tight as Street Halo, or as drifting and moving as Truant/Rough Sleeper, but he's somehow managed to make extreme cheese sound good to me. Even in those parts the trademark touches and general Burial vibe undermine the cheese and put it in a new place. It's a bit confusing, but it is good.

following up on that post that i made earlier that nobody knows or cares about and i can hardly remember:

meh

this new one isn't good, but it isn't bad

feels a bit lazy, but there are still some fantastic parts - dude has to have a few weak releases somewhere in his discography

not regretting pre-ordering this at all, should be interesting to see how my opinion might change after a good few spins.

Guest Ron Manager

i love it. upon first listen, i thought Rival Dealer was alright and that the last three minutes were spectacular. like others, i was more or less confused when Hiders got going, and i think i laughed when the beat came in, which i thought was kind of lame, but i liked it on the whole. Come Down To Us had me instantly hooked. having now listened to it all a few times, i think the whole thing works magnificently. for me there isn't anything really that 'cheesy' - at least no more than The Lord's Graffiti on R.I.P. is 'cheesy'. and hasn't Burial always kind of threatened to make this kind of record? i think the hints have often been there in recent work. this EP comes across to me as something made by a producer who is enjoying his music and is in a really good frame of mind right now. first impressions are that i like it more than Truant/Rough Sleeper, but the 2 before that will be so hard to top...

10/10

i don't mind cheesy or uplifting vibes, but when they take on the form of saccharine MTV reality TV show vibes it goes into a whole different level of cheese and 'uplifting' to me, the kind that seems heavily forced, algorithmically statistically driven and just all around painful as fuck

it's silly to assert that people who don't like this are somehow too much into dark music or don't appreciate happy music, this is a whole different animal. I Can think of at least 10 different ways burial could have injected a more happy and pop sensibility into his music that would have sounded a lot less awkward

how much of this is original composition? Maybe its part of the concept but it sounds to me entirely plundered and not presented in a new enough context to sound like original music, but at the same time i never got into music that was slowed down, but beyond that unaltered and released under another artists name, the 'artist' who slowed it down.

every time i've heard a burial track it seemed like the kind of trance that would try to artificially induce some kind of 'blissful' emotional response from me (with the understanding that i would very possibly be on a drug and in an environment/atmosphere/culture that helps induce that). but it's very superficial. the same gated chord sounds and buildups over and over. to me burial seems like the trance of hip hop/dubstep/idm, except trying to make me sad or mopey, and with 'soulful' vocal samples instead of trance gates.

the production is slick, even if usually pretty minimal. i could maybe like it if there was more going on and the cliche vocal samples (that don't sound TOO far removed from 'eurotrash' 90s dance hit samples) weren't always there. if something is going to trigger an emotional response with me, it has to be through the music which has to have some kind of depth. cheesy samples alone won't do it.

reminds me of the intro/bridges to linkin park tracks, that are supposed to make me feel emotional somehow, just because they got a piano playing a minor key

every time i've heard a burial track it seemed like the kind of trance that would try to artificially induce some kind of 'blissful' emotional response from me (with the understanding that i would very possibly be on a drug and in an environment/atmosphere/culture that helps induce that). but it's very superficial. the same gated chord sounds and buildups over and over. to me burial seems like the trance of hip hop/dubstep/idm, except trying to make me sad or mopey, and with 'soulful' vocal samples instead of trance gates.

the production is slick, even if usually pretty minimal. i could maybe like it if there was more going on and the cliche vocal samples (that don't sound TOO far removed from 'eurotrash' 90s dance hit samples) weren't always there. if something is going to trigger an emotional response with me, it has to be through the music which has to have some kind of depth. cheesy samples alone won't do it.

reminds me of the intro/bridges to linkin park tracks, that are supposed to make me feel emotional somehow, just because they got a piano playing a minor key

You telling me you don't like Untrue? You don't like "Stolen Dog"? Aww c'mon man you're bumming me out.

i might change my opinion some day, because there are things about the tracks i do like. the sort of dirty, thick, bubbly, filtered background sounds that build ambience, those i think are done really well. stolen dog has nice reverbs and a good vibe. but i feel like i've heard more interesting things, even if maybe less well produced, in watmmr soundcloud/bandcamps.

Archived