IGNORED

APHEX TWIN - SYRO

chim

Guest Roksen Creek

You guys are right, produk especially is giving me Cro Magnox flashbacks. Can't believe I didn't notice before.

And as much as I'm really digging this album so far, I have to say it hasn't quite reached Cro Magnox heights yet. But give it time...

I had to endure a lot of noise throughout, but I still some how was able to listen to the album. ITS AWESOME! I have to admit when it started I wasn't to keen on XMASEVET10 but then I starte to enjoy it again

Initial thoughts

This album shows (again) that RDJ is, without any doubt, the best electronic musician ever, the Mozart of our age. There are very very few other musicians that can be close to his talent. Basically, there is no physical way to make something more advanced than this: you would need to expand one dimension on how our brains interprets sounds to have more space for complexity.
The tracks are extremely futuristic and funky, they are at least one decade ahead, yet there are many reminiscences of his earliest works. Maybe in technique-speaking we can see some relation with The Tuss, but it looks and feels completely different, so I don't agree at all that SYRO is the next step of The Tuss as some other people said here.
I think this album expose an introspective period for RDJ. I think it may be a point of inflection for his personal life and his own career; again, this is pure speculation... And I feel like some parts of some tracks are just for pure appreciation of, for instance, a single note. And here is where the amazing mixing/mastering plays a very important role.

Usually I feel very connected with Aphex Twin works, almost like his sounds comes from inside of my own spirit. This time I don't feel exactly the same, but that's not bad because I still put SYRO in my top 5 (with MFM, RDJ, SAW II, and Rushup Edge) :happy:

tl;dr: this is pure braindance, enjoy!

Edited by pera

Usually I feel very connected with Aphex Twin works, almost like his sounds comes from inside of my own spirit. This time I don't feel exactly the same, but that's not bad because I still put SYRO in my top 5 (with MFM, RDJ, SAW II, and Rushup Edge) :happy:

tl;dr: this is pure braindance, enjoy!

This is a really great point that crystallized the second half of Syro for me. I love the album through and through, other than produk (which will probably grow) and 180db_ (which probably won't because I can't find any seeds), but it's interesting how particularly the second half makes me feel like I'm listening to someone else's music, while the first half and much of the rest of his discography makes me feel like I'm listening to the music I would make if I weren't a stupid shadow on the wall of a cave.

The '4 bit 9d...' studio version on the album seems to be a very different mix to what I have heard on live recordings of the track, would love to hear that live mix version released one day as well. 'XMAS..'' is such a compositional masterpiece, I'm just going to listen to that track for a week before listening to the rest again. Also, the Bleep Pdf link that leads to an error page is rather odd, hope they sort that. Thanks for the discussion thread errybaaady! . and in the off chance that RDJ reads this thread ...THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU so much you clever sausage!

Sort of random. but am I the only when when listening to this, find it all of a sudden ok to indulge in any bad habits you have? (preface: I'm sort of a health freak.. yeah one of those, but when I sat down to listen to this with the best sound I could muster and solitude, I ordered the largest pizza I could find, guzzled soda.. and randomly took a nicorette lozenge.)

Sort of random. but am I the only when when listening to this, find it all of a sudden ok to indulge in any bad habits you have? (preface: I'm sort of a health freak.. yeah one of those, but when I sat down to listen to this with the best sound I could muster and solitude, I ordered the largest pizza I could find, guzzled soda.. and randomly took a nicorette lozenge.)

Woah! settle down there badboy

Played it for my 3-month old whose favorite music is my wife singing about the plants or her socks or whatever. When EVET going, the baby went ABSOLUTELY NUTS, un unprecedented display of sustained and deep joy. She and I are going to hear this album a million more times, but so far it's just wonderful. I reviewed it for some homies, fringe Aphexers, with this: "IT WAS ALL WORTH IT!!!!!!!!!! BEACH BREEZES! BEER! BACK DUNKS! TWIN PEAKS! BABY CHICKENS! GLORY AND LOVE" too much?

Woah! settle down there badboy

haha. i know. TERRIBLE.. I actually was ridiculous back in the day. I'm 'leave it to beaver' style these days.

I haven't been able to enjoy Syro very much on earphones so far. It sounds beautiful on my studio monitors but through the earphones it sounds pretty muddy and lacks clarity. My earphones are not top of the line but they are decent enough to have expected better.
It's very rare that I listen to music on earphones anyway and it does sound fucking lovely on my monitors so I don't care but I'm curious to know how others feel on this. Maybe my earphones have gone shitty or the rip just isn't all that great.

I haven't been able to enjoy Syro very much on earphones so far. It sounds beautiful on my studio monitors but through the earphones it sounds pretty muddy and lacks clarity. My earphones are not top of the line but they are decent enough to have expected better.

It's very rare that I listen to music on earphones anyway and it does sound fucking lovely on my monitors so I don't care but I'm curious to know how others feel on this. Maybe my earphones have gone shitty or the rip just isn't all that great.

Same thing with me.. but I did realize my earphones acutally did sort of go to crap when the album sounded wonderfully clear in just a pair of iphone earbuds.

pdf booklet now available for download from bleep

wow amazing, a folder with a logo jpg in it. anyone got anything a bit more substantial?

Edited by Guest

The album took about six listens to get into, but I'm there. Was a bit surprised by the jungle, but it's still fun to hear him work with it, and branch out.

XMASEVE_T10 [thanaton3 mix] is indeed fantastic. PAPAT4 [pineal mix] kills. It's like 'inner spirit' music for me as someone mentioned above, which is what most of the RDJA – Windowlicker era falls into for me. The CIRCLONTs are great, and I loved the closer - Disklavier 4 life. I liked minipops 67 right away as well.

I am very surprised by how much recording noise is in the master; he mentions a couple of times about recording gear and synths in interesting ways before it goes back into the computer, and there is a lot of unusual 3D-ish sound space on some of the tracks.

Not as great as drukqs, Rushup Edge or RDJA but it's up there. Glad he returned.

Guest HokusPoker

Ok, I'm only at track 5, I want to take it really slowly and relisten rather than rushing through the album, but… so far it's just ok. 180db_, what the hell? This would have been a disappointment, had it been a free download.

There are good bits here and there, I seem to like 4bit the most so far, but I have to agree with a friend of mine who called the album for the most part 'jamming'.

I'd be happy to be very wrong in a few months (days, hopefully), but so far I almost regret spending the 30 Euro on the vinyl, a CD would have been just fine (so far).

Well, still 7 tracks to go, from what I read here, some are really good.

Oh, to anybody calling this unrelated to The Tuss: :biggrin:

wow really? this album sounds fantastically produced on my audiotechnica, try with better headphones

Just listened to it. Took a walk through the woods with my headphones for minimal distraction.

Right now i don't know really what to think about it. Expectations are dangerous. There is to much going on. Right now, it feels a little dissapointing but that could be because i've listened to minipops to much (which is right now still my favorite)

180db was the bomb. I saw some horses nodded with their heads in sync with the track. Cool experience.

I wait for a second turn til i get the vinyl for a good listen on my system with some absinthe and a big fat doobie in my hand.

Guest HokusPoker

pdf booklet now available for download from bleep

Booklet? It's just a .jpg of the album cover for me?

And samples for Syro up on Bleep, if anyone cares about that :)

Yes, same here; somebody must be sweating right now in Bleep's admin section.

wow really? this album sounds fantastically produced on my audiotechnica, try with better headphones

That's reassuring to read. I hope you're right. I should probably get some new headphones anyway.