IGNORED

APHEX TWIN - SYRO

chim

10710942_546480858785009_534844697428214

OMG 'shop in an Aphex logo, STAT

Bonus points if you manage the ring as well, and a free 1 year EKT Plus membership if you can convincingly get Richard's mug in place of El Papa.

i48gjHxOBiZDY.jpg

toplel

Jasondonervan's made me LOL too, so 1 year EKT Plus for him as well!

He deserved it for his participation in this thread anyway :p

EDIT : f*ck I'm really too slow posting on this thread...

Edited by StocKo

Jasondonervan's made me LOL too, so 1 year EKT Plus for him as well!

Aww, Joyboss... that's very kind of you, thank you!

xy_politics wins this potatoshop challenge, Aphex Ring and Waferphex Twin are too (quite) good *salutes using photoshop cursor*

Hey JR, look overe here....I'm funny too!

p.s. congrats JasDon

Edited by LimpyLoo

Guest jasondonervan

It's been a rollercoaster ride here on WATMM this year, with the track on a near constant upwards trajectory :) CAT23 was an amazing event, not to diminish the faith put in from all the non-WATMM folks who pledged to the kickstarter, but it really did feel like a team effort from the never-a-dull-moment WATMM family that made it a reality. Still can't quite believe it happened... But we did it!

Inadvertent Syro-spotting last month was hilarious. One minute I was putting together a vid of stencils on a dull bank holiday Monday, the next I'm gently prodding around youtube's copyright nether regions and unearthing things I probably shouldn't have ;) That was a great shared moment, and I'm delighted that little bit of fun brought the best bit of confirmation to date, and joy to those of us who had been hankering after those lushest of the lush live tracks after all these years (if you've restrained yourself until you get hold of your physical copy of Syro, you're in for a treat)

I really enjoy my time in WATMM, everyone here has interesting opinions to offer on all the weird and wonderful corners of music and the culture beyond it, and they are often passionately discussed. You also deliver toplels at the drop of a hat. I would happily be the first to buy everyone one of you an appropriate beverage in whatever corner of the world we happen to meet, should the opportunity present itself.. I hope it does!

I'm not sure where all that just came from, and it's probably not the right thread to do it in. I guess I'm feeling pretty syronated right now... Aren't we all? So a big thanks to all the regulars, newcomers, mod(ular)s and of course the Mumbly Master Joyrex.

Viva la WATMM!

JD

/gush

So I picked up the CD today (Sweden). After 1½ playthrough, here are some thoughts:

* It's fucking great. Maybe his best release, time will tell.

* It doesn't really feel like a cohesive "album" to me, not like Drukqs. It feels like a collection of great tracks (which, you know, ages between "six months and six years" as he said in one interview). But this is probably the first RDJ release where I like all the tracks. The closest so far was Rushup Edge, but I always skip Death Fuck when I listen to that. Here, I would have no problem putting it on and listening to all the tracks in order. On his older releases I skip almost half the tracks.

* It is at least as good as any of his other releases, and I feel so incredibly happy about this, because I can't think of any other of the artists that I would categorize as being among my favorites for whom this is true. Some of them have completely lost me over the years, some are still good but not as good as when they did their first stuff. But for me RDJs stuff just keeps getting better. Like I can't really understand people who say that SAW 1 is the best release. This Analord -> Tuss -> Syro progression just fits my changing tastes (taste always changes) perfectly, and I feel so lucky about that.

I'm feeling in such syro limbo mode right now.. I didnt pre-order cuz i just moved didnt want to overdraft my first month of living in my new place...

but i also haven't listened to the ahem album online anywhere yet... nor do i think i will...

but then again, i did hear some of the previews on one of those reseller sites like bleep.. very low quality streams.. only heard it once in my headphones plugged into my phone on my way home from work.. i felt a mixture of pure excitement and giddyness, but also felt kinda guilty for A. hearing it for the first time via shitty previews and B. that i didnt pre-order.. but i was also in a bad mood that day cuz of life drama shit... nonetheless what i heard sounded amazing...

but, i think i will hold back from listening to the album in any format/way until the physical copy hits record stores after buying a copy and prob a vinyl. i may even then buy the 24 bit version online if thats still available then.

i had to confess my syro actions/lack of action to my fellows watmmers.

looking forward to hearing this full album all the way through for my first time on DISC! :D

edit: until then, i will live through the excitement of the ones on here whove heard it (:

Edited by Lane Visitor

ok, so I just listened to the snippets on Bleep. Whadyaknow, I think i'm going to like this album. Some Bass sounded muddy especially on the funky track (Syro?) but I like what I hear from most of the tracks. Now if the Sub 37 and this album drops this weekend i'll be a happy boy.

Yo Jasondonervan, I'm really happy for you, I'ma let you finish, but xy_politics has one of the best videos 'shops of all time!

But really Jasondonervan deserves WATMM for life membership or something, always bringing the awesome. But yeah, those xy_politics 'shops of Popephex Twinnipicks made me kek like a mofo.

i dunno about you talking that this just a bunch of unrelated tracks. for me it's perfectly connected - same samples on a lots of tracks, same mood and bass, percussion and all the little things round there...very stylish and in one concept. many tracks are linked and have same melodies for a couple of seconds/patterns just as someone mentioned here, it gets you like "acid lost" - was i hearing that before, is it the same thing? oh god no no i see where it leads me...

it's like they were quite different at start, but he sit and tried to make it as a whole. some tracks (180db/anastasia) are different, but in a good way, so that album sounds alike and really different at the same time

i dunno about you talking that this just a bunch of unrelated tracks. for me it's perfectly connected - same samples on a lots of tracks, same mood and bass, percussion and all the little things round there...very stylish and in one concept. many tracks are linked and have same melodies for a couple of seconds/patterns just as someone mentioned here, it gets you like "acid lost" - was i hearing that before, is it the same thing? oh god no no i see where it leads me...

it's like they were quite different at start, but he sit and tried to make it as a whole. some tracks (180db/anastasia) are different, but in a good way, so that album sounds alike and really different at the same time

It could very well become more coherent to me the more I listen to it. But this leads me to another thing I've been thinking about, when he decides to release these 6 year old tracks, does he go back and work on them some more? Tying them together for the release, or just redoing them to more match his newer sensibilities? Is there any clear changes in the released versions to the live ones? (I'm too lazy to check myself)