IGNORED

Aphex Twin - Computer controlled Acoustic Instruments pt2 EP (Warp Records)

fumi

Aphex Twin - Computer Controlled Instruments pt2 EP  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Like This EP?

• Yes, having listened to it
    • No, having listened to it
    • Yes, having not actually listened to it yet
    • No, having not actually listened to it yet
    • I think the other Aphex Twin should come out of retirement and make music

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a bit disappointed in this on first listen, but a first listen isn't good for much.

Immediately fond of the first track and the last two, but nothing else can hold a candle to Jynweythek or Kladfvsomething Milkshake, etc., or even (however it was made) Bbydhyonchord. Which is a bit of a bummer, but it's "just" an EP I guess. Didn't want a dadjazz robofest (I luv u Tom), but was expecting more fully fleshed out compositions, or at least a couple more of them.

It Happened is good to have now, regardless.

I dont know whats more unsurprising - the utter mediocrity of this music or the 53 page thread on it over in the Aphex forum.

Cmon, even you guys who are musicians on these forums could better that EP.

It sounds like something an unknown artist would chuck up on Bandcamp for free. It's so bad, I'm beginning to wonder if he hasn't released it on purpose as some kind of piss-take or an experiment to see just how much his fans can take.

Looking at the 53 page thread, it seems like a success.

Aphex Fans: Feel free to hurl abuse as always.

The least surprising of all is that once again you've failed to criticize the music without taking a dig at its fans.

Yeah, I think I really do hate the fans most of all. Basically because they just cannot take any criticism of their idol at all - no matter what he does. It doesn't help that for some of us, Aphex sucks these days but we're slammed down for our opinions because they don't fit in with the Watmm crowd (which is just an Aphex fan forum with other stuff bolted on).

As to the EP, well, if you listen to the sound of a toilet flushing closely enough, I guess it might sound strangely engrossing after a while. Of course I'm exaggerating but you get the idea.

So full of shit

See what I mean? They just cannot accept any criticism.

Go back to the Aphex forum, please.

He was just describing what was being flushed down the toilet in the proposed engrossing listen.

I personally feel like these tracks are notably better and improved from the similar tracks off Druqks (the acoustic ones, not electronic ones). There's more to them. The ones on Druqks, barring a few like Jynweythek or Mischk, just seem and act as inbetweeners for the bigger tracks. I don't think the ones off Drukqs could work as an EP for example, though this does.

It's also worth noting that these tracks are more poppy, and less brooding so to speak. So if you don't like the vibe, then that may be an issue. It's different for him, and I enjoyed it. That said, hopefully the singular mindedness of this EP foreshadows other similar EPs with different vibes.

I still want to hear a whole EP of tracks like Hy a Scullyas plz Richard :cat:

I dont know whats more unsurprising - the utter mediocrity of this music or the 53 page thread on it over in the Aphex forum.

Cmon, even you guys who are musicians on these forums could better that EP.

It sounds like something an unknown artist would chuck up on Bandcamp for free. It's so bad, I'm beginning to wonder if he hasn't released it on purpose as some kind of piss-take or an experiment to see just how much his fans can take.

Looking at the 53 page thread, it seems like a success.

Aphex Fans: Feel free to hurl abuse as always.

The least surprising of all is that once again you've failed to criticize the music without taking a dig at its fans.

Yeah, I think I really do hate the fans most of all. Basically because they just cannot take any criticism of their idol at all - no matter what he does. It doesn't help that for some of us, Aphex sucks these days but we're slammed down for our opinions because they don't fit in with the Watmm crowd (which is just an Aphex fan forum with other stuff bolted on).

As to the EP, well, if you listen to the sound of a toilet flushing closely enough, I guess it might sound strangely engrossing after a while. Of course I'm exaggerating but you get the idea.

Come on, man. Even after I deliberately made it a separate post from my reply to you, you misconstrued my impression of the music as some kind of defense of the EP. I wasn't trying to convince anyone, but you had to add your extraneous rebuttal anyway. I wouldn't have replied in the first place if I didn't think you were a reasonable person, it's just that you keep confusing things like that and it's what's causing your frustration.

I get that you're not knocking anyone here in particular, no-one is even accusing you of doing that. The reason people (I wasn't one of them by the way) reacted that way to your Syro review is not because they're a blinkered mob that can't take any criticism of their idol, it's because most of your review consisted of describing them as that and saying next to nothing critical about the music itself.

This time you barely managed a "mediocre" as your assessment of the music before slipping into your hate routine. Half of the featured artists here make some rather mediocre sounding stuff to me but it's never annoyed me or compelled me to be so confrontational about it. I see plenty of posters here saying this EP's "not for them" and not getting any flak for it at all. I think deep down you are stuck on some bogus idea that certain music is objectively bad and that anyone who likes it must therefore be wrong and worthy of contempt, and that's what people are reacting to, not the fact that you don't like the music per se.

This release seems a bit more academic at first, but I can see this kinda stuff being pretty boss. I'm convinced he's further along with this stuff than the EP lets on.

wow, drukqs is good?

wtf is this.

drukqs is a masterpiece.

syro is good

this EP is not good.

Back in 2001....

wow, Windowlicker is good?

wtf is this.

Windowlicker is a masterpiece.

Drukqs is quite good

but a lot of it is not good.

Guest murphythecat8

wow, drukqs is good?

wtf is this.

drukqs is a masterpiece.

syro is good

this EP is not good.

Back in 2001....

wtf is this.

Drukqs is quite good

after syro and this EP, yes drukqs is a masterpiece in james discography, but all the piano tracks, I dont care much nor the third of the other tracks.

but, wtf are you trying to do. Hating or ill will toward another being only hurts yourself. it took me years to understand, and im glad I did.

peace

wow, drukqs is good?

wtf is this.

drukqs is a masterpiece.

syro is good

this EP is not good.

Back in 2001....

wtf is this.

Drukqs is quite good

after syro and this EP, yes drukqs is a masterpiece in james discography, but all the piano tracks, I dont care much nor the third of the other tracks.

but, wtf are you trying to do. Hating or ill will toward another being only hurts yourself. it took me years to understand, and im glad I did.

peace

ok, we're getting somewhere.....

I do not like bleep. Any chance this will be available through another distributor? Like clone.nl or even better hardwax.com?

Why dont you like Bleep? I live in Finland and if I buy 12" from Bleep its 5€ for delivery, from Clone.nl its 12€...

Cause they're slow as shit

Cause they're more expensive than pretty much all other retailers

Cause they've started charging for stuff that used to be free

I'm pretty sure there's a bunch of users here with first hand stories of Bleep being shit

Really? Slow as shit and more expensive? I got my record from bleep in 5 days and it was 19€... from Clone 29€...?

Archived