Guest bitroast

Zactly^ ha.

Lavalamps in tripout room? Pfft. Stephen GRAMPS. The 1970s called, they want their worn out cliches and stinky cheese back !!

Zactly^ ha.

Lavalamps in tripout room? Pfft. Stephen GRAMPS. The 1970s called, they want their worn out cliches and stinky cheese back !!

Yeah... if you put a lava lamp in the middle of the room the light and shadows it casts gives you great open air visuals/midair hallucinations on lsd or mushrooms.

Totally cliche but it works.

srry by tripout room I meant where my main stereo is, is where we have all our experiences.

Anywho, missed my opportunity to hear this last weekend. Going to try and listen to it Friday night finally. I did listen to mutant standard a few times and like it mucho.

Edited by StephenG

i actually felt like psn was joking about the laser thing, maybe i'm wrong

even if he was, robin fox's laser show is some next level shit, I wouldn't even think of calling it cheesy

yeee. saw opn last year(?), butt end of R+7 tour.

support act was robin fox with crazy laser idm show **

and then afterwards was OPN with the crappy 3D visual art power point slide show. this was in makeshift outdoor venue with 1 tiny projector screen all the way at front of stage. needless to say, the visual side of the OPN was totally underwhelming and afterwards pretty much everyone was complaining about the visuals and saying they stunk and especially so compared to the laser show. the laser show was like this ultimate, immersive "high", and then that was followed by "look at the aesthetic on this shit looking not animated 3D blob".

the show was still amazing though. music was BEAUTIFUL and seemed very ' live ' and fluid (ala autechre??). very good ' electronic live show'. but the visuals and complete lack of immersion brought on by the visuals definitely didn't do the show any favours.

** robin fox

i dont even mind the 3d clipshow thing in the context of watching it on youtube next to the music, but in the context of a live show with little lighting (other than, sterile venue lighting), the visuals went in the direction of removing immersion??

^^ what bitroast said (probably helps i was at the same show). i know the visuals are meant to be cheesy, but they *very* actively subtracted from the experience. i went in hyped as hell for OPN, was moderately disappointed with even going until i closed my eyes. first show i've ever been to where closing my eyes meant an exponentially greater experience. really not a fan of boyce's visuals at all.

and yeah holy shit, how amazing was robin fox

Guest bitroast

Yerr. Im wondering if having super immersive laser show before opn (plus opn using tiny screen for visuals) just gave it a weird context to work from. Either way, if people are saying the new opn show has boring visuals im gonna find it hard to disagree unfortz

O well. Vinyl arrived from bleep today. Time to stop gabbing and start listening (for the againth time :)

Seen OPN three times now (I think!) and every time I've thought it'd just be better to ditch the live visuals. There's just not enough footage leading to the same thing looping waaaaaaaaaaayy too much, and it never seems to sync with what's going on musically either

I am enjoying this a lot as an album at least! On the first listen, I was hearing a lot of references, on my second I heard someone trying to make a very modern record. Now I am just digging in and letting it grow on me. I like more than R+7.

Just a mention in case people are seeking out music with a similar vibe, Vaervaf is worth checking out. http://vaervaf.bandcamp.com

I was listening to "Hearttrip" and GOD back to back all day today, good combo of weird

don't like this at all really. i wonder if it will rephlexively make me hate r+7

How would it make you hate r+7 ? Those two albums don't share many things, they almost sound as if they'd been made by two different artists !

holy shit that robin fox video is naaaaaaaaaaaaaaasty, would have loved to see that!

yeah his live show is certainly an experience, it was mindmelting even back when he only used a green laser

Saw most of this album performed last Saturday. Lopatin screamed and sang lyrics throughout and there was a mosh pit and a guy who yelled fuck yeah the split second songs ended. Next level opn. Younger crowd. Not what I was expecting but should have, and had a good time regardless.

It trips me out this album meshes so many styles together without sounding forced, and also just bizzare as fuck

Freaky Eyes sounds like Claude Larson's style at 1:30, and then in the middle there's what sounds like a kanye west sample that morphs into the returnal voice... I just, this album is ??? and I can't share it with anyone, as much as I might like to. It's too far down the rabbit hole

Also, anyone recognize the end of Mutant Standard as sounding like the Metz track? Sounded especially so live.

Or the phexy synth that's being talkboxed over?

Edited by ganus

Cool video, is that the Kaoss Edge artwork used for a backdrop?

“Is this the intro to a TV show about an orbital prison cell chained to freely roaming organism? The sculpture's burden is the prison of another organism it cannot communicate with. In certain cases the imprisoned organism could become a cipher through which its captor speaks.”

thanks me too

That Repossession vid was awesome! Are the live visuals like that? I haven't been to any of the live shows, but in terms of Nate Boyce's visuals for OPN's stuff, I have to say that I actually really like the look of them. I like his weird shiny, gloopy style. :catsalute:

Yes those visuals and more like it played on 2 vertical plasmas bookending the stage.