Dude, after R+7, those sounds he dredged up were popping up in top 40 music and all over the spectrum.

even if that is true i don't think it'd be because of OPN. keen to hear some examples of this though? i would say those sounds (general midi kits and whatnot) have found more acceptance in a fair amount of 'listening electronica' and the like. i would wager that was inevitable as people went down the retro rabbithole, eventually we'd learn to appreciate those sounds in a different context. no doubt r+7 was very immediately influential, but he wasn't necessarily the first musician to toy with those sounds in a post modern context.

Yeah I'm curious about this claim too. I know dubstep/brostep/EDM was adopted quickly and IDM and bedroom indietronica has been sprinkled into pop a lot. Some cloud rap hip-hop has adopted vaporwave/eccojam production, but I'm not sure I can think of anything sounding like 0PN's or his peers in Top 40. I am fairly out of the loop though.

Beginning to love this. It takes great vision to make music that open up and reveal their magic slowly. It's a real treat when an album like that comes along.

Edited by beerwolf

posters gonna post inane, useless shit. do yourself a favor and check the Drew Daniel write-up -- http://thetalkhouse.com/music/talks/drew-daniel-matmos-talks-oneohtrix-point-nevers-garden-of-delete

fuck reviews, seriously, what a bunch of words

hence a thread for discussion relating to the album, among other things. that DD review is something of a showpiece, but it's still relevant to the album, and it's got some funny bits. also, it's a little more creative than "i like this. i think _____ is special." it's like... duly noted, bud

posters gonna post inane, useless shit. do yourself a favor and check the Drew Daniel write-up -- http://thetalkhouse.com/music/talks/drew-daniel-matmos-talks-oneohtrix-point-nevers-garden-of-delete

fuck reviews, seriously, what a bunch of words

hence a thread for discussion relating to the album, among other things. that DD review is something of a showpiece, but it's still relevant to the album, and it's got some funny bits. also, it's a little more creative than "i like this. i think _____ is special." it's like... duly noted, bud

It's a little too creative, or should i dislodge every word with a fancy yet empty synonym to make it mean heavier.

bah, humbug. got too caught up in the thread/discussion/hype/negative reactions surrounding the album, i suppose. maybe a good time to step away, refresh, listen again. "haters gonna hate" generalisations are sort of aggravating, though. it is possible to like the album and still have issues with it. apologies for the generally negative remarks

regarding the drew daniel piece, i think it's fair game for scrutiny/relevant to the thread/whatever.. interesting how ego (showiness) can pervade critical writing/coverage to the point where it puts more focus on the writer than on the subject at hand, also coming from somebody with the perspective of having created marginally successful commercial music in the past.

Error establishing a database connection

Oooh, interesting - Is it a statement of how connected we all are and how GoD is both simultaneously about and against the social media status-quo ?

EDIT: Oh, seems to be working now - thought that initial review was a little too meta !

That Drew Daniel writeup is ballz.

Thanks for taking the time to read my enlightening comment.

i thought this bit was particulary poignant:

"when the blast-beats, guitar-synth crunches and guttural Cookie Monster growls kick in on “Sticky Drama,” you suddenly realize that Lopatin has fashioned a kind of unheimlich homage not to r&b but to crabcore: that perfect storm of Hot Topic, MySpace and Guitar Center in which tight pants, pointy hair and knee injury momentarily made a suburban horde squat low for the break and wobble comically sideways en masse."

... what is an unheimlich homage? like, letting it choke? choking homage?

That Drew Daniel writeup is ballz.

Thanks for taking the time to read my enlightening comment.

i thought this bit was particulary poignant:

"when the blast-beats, guitar-synth crunches and guttural Cookie Monster growls kick in on “Sticky Drama,” you suddenly realize that Lopatin has fashioned a kind of unheimlich homage not to r&b but to crabcore: that perfect storm of Hot Topic, MySpace and Guitar Center in which tight pants, pointy hair and knee injury momentarily made a suburban horde squat low for the break and wobble comically sideways en masse."

i love drew daniel and all but come on.

just deleted the garden. more over the top bollox.

I'm not the only one then... We actually gave the physical copy away, to the pond in front of our house. OPN frisbee. lol.

I just didn't speak up because I've already been chastised enough for thinking/vocalizing that it's pretty shitty.

I listened to this thing 5 times, tried to understand. I guess OPN just isn't for me.

Edited by StephenG