IGNORED

Something AE_STORE is happening

thehauntingsoul

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have never heard of a single track referred to as a record

Really, never? A "record" has been the radio lingo for a "song" since the 1950s, at the very least. Ie since before the advent of the album, when "record" took on the additional meaning of a collection of songs/tracks.

No, sorry - I have never heard a radio DJ refer to a single song as a "record". I've always heard it referred to as "the new [single/song/track/jam] by [insert artist name here]" or "Here's [trackname] from [artist] off [his/her] new [album/record/release/single/EP/LP]."

While the term record is shorthand for "recording", record (to me) has always referred to a physical object (e.g.: "hand me that vinyl record"), or as a collective term for an album (e.g.: "Autechre's new record, 'whythefuckarewedebatingthis' is out August 12th, 2016").

But by your logic there single could be one song yes? So a record could in theory be a release with just one song on!

Anyhow we are all well over thinking this but is passing the time until something gets announced! :)

Yes, but a single is just that - a single, which could contain one or more songs on it (and typically do). The format it is on (vinyl, CD, MD, cassette) would change how you refer to it - "Hand me that record [single]", "Hand me that CD [single]", "Hand me that cassette [single]", etc.

Record mostly refers to format, but is also interchangeable with "album".

E.g hand me that record (that happens to have one track on! )

And that would be right - but an artist wouldn't refer to a release of one track as a record - I would expect them to say something along the lines of "Be sure to get my new track [trackname], out on vinyl, CD, and download on September 13th, 2016."

They wouldn't say "Be sure to get my new record" when it is in fact only one track.

Shit, theres some tensed up anus' above me. Hot dang! I think that reddit guy from 29th April has it right with the release date. My casio watch says theres a high tide on June 24th.

I can tell you - it's certainly more than one track :dadjoke:

Duh, of course it's June 24th.

Twelb x 2 = 24

Twelb / 2 = 6

oh yeah

:)

No, sorry - I have never heard a radio DJ refer to a single song as a "record". I've always heard it referred to as "the new [single/song/track/jam] by [insert artist name here]" or "Here's [trackname] from [artist] off [his/her] new [album/record/release/single/EP/LP]."

While the term record is shorthand for "recording", record (to me) has always referred to a physical object (e.g.: "hand me that vinyl record"), or as a collective term for an album (e.g.: "Autechre's new record, 'whythefuckarewedebatingthis' is out August 12th, 2016").

I guess I picked it up from watching too many music documentaries. In every other one there seems to be a DJ, producer or artist speaking of "record" in the meaning of song. Sometimes even using the word totally detached from the actual recording session or final product, like when they're discussing the initial idea or inspiration for writing the song.

I watched the From Motown to Off The Wall documentary tonight on TV, here's three examples (shitty Youtube zoomed version):

Talking about the song Shake Your Body being written, Quincy Jones asks:

"Where were you when you first heard about that record?"

https://youtu.be/jKUzoFBuSPY?t=21m15s

Jackie Jackson talking about the drum beat being recorded for the song Shake Your Body (interesting choice of preposition):

"When we heard it in the record..."

https://youtu.be/jKUzoFBuSPY?t=22m48s

Marlon Jackson talking about his favorite song on the album:

"My favourite record on Off The Wall... I like Off The Wall, that's one of them. That's one of my favorite records."

https://youtu.be/jKUzoFBuSPY?t=1h3m2s

The "Record of the Year" award at the Grammy's goes to a single track too.

• Record of the Year is awarded for a single or for one track from an album. This award goes to the performing artist, the producer, recording engineer and/or mixer for that song. In this sense, "record" means a particular recorded song, not its composition or an album of songs

• Song of the Year is also awarded for a single or individual track, but the recipient of this award is the songwriter who actually wrote the lyrics and/or melodies to the song. Thus, "song" in this context means the song as composed, not its recording.

• Album of the Year is awarded for a whole album, and the award is presented to the artist, producer, recording engineer, and mastering engineer for that album. So, in this context, "album" means a recorded collection of songs (a multi-track LP, CD, or download package), not the individual songs or their compositions.

Guest bitroast

guys dont worry about it joyrex is just wrong on the correct definition of the word 'record' its no big deal

not to uh add to the tangent, but not once in my short life (26 years) have I ever heard anyone use the term record unless they were talking about an actual physical vinyl. Round these hurr parts people call things an album if it's an LP on cassette/CD/digital, but if it's a single/EP/LP on a record, they call it a record.

joyrex ain't the only un'. :cerious:

Archived