IGNORED

the watmm GAS thread

modey

• 3 weeks later...

Small update on the JX-3P I got a while back. How to tell your synth was owned by a guitarist before:

photo_2021-12-27_14-24-00.thumb.jpg.3c5f4103b4e21def18bf80425f6c6ef2.jpgphoto_2021-12-27_14-21-17.thumb.jpg.d0157c91d9880aef097b014bc20e68e8.jpg

Looks like the previous owner had it powering his guitar amp.. What the fuck man

Spending some days away from my home studio just on the laptop, now listening some Roland Cloud sound comparison and thinking about all the money I spent on a massive interface (several actually), a rack enclosure, cables, setup time, more cables, more setup time, because what I end up doing anyway is just using the presets to play through some Ableton Live effect chain.

Live and learn I guess. That, and I did not know that you can just get the VSTs as a one time payment thing without sticking around for the monthly subscription. At least that is the impression I get.

Has anyone tried out Roland Cloud yet? What's the catch? Cryptocurrency miners pretending to be bad FM patches?

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, thawkins said:

Spending some days away from my home studio just on the laptop, now listening some Roland Cloud sound comparison and thinking about all the money I spent on a massive interface (several actually), a rack enclosure, cables, setup time, more cables, more setup time, because what I end up doing anyway is just using the presets to play through some Ableton Live effect chain.

Live and learn I guess. That, and I did not know that you can just get the VSTs as a one time payment thing without sticking around for the monthly subscription. At least that is the impression I get.

Has anyone tried out Roland Cloud yet? What's the catch? Cryptocurrency miners pretending to be bad FM patches?

The licens costs more than the fucking synth itself 

9 hours ago, thawkins said:

What's the catch?

I don't know what your xv5080 cost but it looks like they've nearly doubled in value in the past year and a half, that's not going to happen with Roland Cloud so if you get sick of it you can't sell it and break even or turn a profit.

On 1/29/2022 at 12:11 PM, cern said:

The licens costs more than the fucking synth itself 

20 hours ago, TubularCorporation said:

I don't know what your xv5080 cost but it looks like they've nearly doubled in value in the past year and a half, that's not going to happen with Roland Cloud so if you get sick of it you can't sell it and break even or turn a profit.

I remember paying something like 200€ for mine, so it kind of looks like I could sell it for more now. Kind of, because if I only had all the expansion cards it would be worth so much more or something.

I guess I will give it a try to see how the licensing model works and how the thing itself compares to the real thing. Kind of suspicous about whether they really have the same logical engine in it somehow, or it is some cheap approximation.

On 1/30/2022 at 4:32 PM, TubularCorporation said:

I would stick with the hardware personally but that's me.

I really like hardware, but I have to also be honest with myself and see if I am spending more time fighting with latency/MIDI issues and other things that have nothing to do with the music and sound itself. Like it's great to have the physical piece of kit, but if I spend 10 minutes per project trying to troubleshoot stuck notes, whoops I turned my keyboard on and now it sent a program change messing up all my sounds, etc etc. it all adds up to a big grand total of wasted energy and frustration that does not need to be. Like these are not the kind of "good" technical limitations that force creativity in my opinion.

Not selling the hardware anyway because I am a hoarder.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, thawkins said:

I really like hardware, but I have to also be honest with myself and see if I am spending more time fighting with latency/MIDI issues and other things that have nothing to do with the music and sound itself. Like it's great to have the physical piece of kit, but if I spend 10 minutes per project trying to troubleshoot stuck notes, whoops I turned my keyboard on and now it sent a program change messing up all my sounds, etc etc. it all adds up to a big grand total of wasted energy and frustration that does not need to be. Like these are not the kind of "good" technical limitations that force creativity in my opinion.

Not selling the hardware anyway because I am a hoarder.

I get that, for me it's the opposite and I end up doing more troubleshooting and having more issues with software than with hardware (I say after I had to rewire stuff again becuase the cheap old mixer that I recapped started to hum again after about 4 hours of use, so I gave up on it; at least it was only $57 in the end, but post-move setup is a special case, once everything is working it should hopefully be pretty low maintenence it was at the last place).

Anyway, I've had good experiences with a hybrid setup on the audio side of things, but I've never in my life had a good time when MIDI was in the picture.  I don't even use the computer as a clock source anymore, use it to send one MIDI message to start my master clock in time with the DAW and from there on the MIDI side of things is completely OTB, but that wouldn't really work for the stuff you do.

Edited by TubularCorporation

Nanobox?? 

Have a gasmask for u guys but you are joking right?!

A Lego toy from Big Mac o Co meal with a display from the 80s. 

Overpriced maybe just a little? What a complete rubbish crap! ?

• Haha 1

[Silence falls upon the room] Choose your next action:

1. [Stealth req not met] Sneak into the kitchen to make some popcorn.
  2. [Might] Piss in the Oberheim.
  3. [Dexterity req not met] "Hey any of you techno freaks every play a REAL INSTRUMENT?"
  4. [Perception] "Come on, if you argue with a chiptunes guy you its like wrestling a pig in the mud, except the pig will enjoy it."
  5. [Perception] "Come on, if you argue with a analog tube synths guy you its like wrestling a pig in the mud, except the pig will enjoy it."
  6. [Aphex Twin knowledge req not met] "You know AFX used a nanoloop on track X on album Y?!"
  • Haha 2
  • Farnsworth 1

On 2/2/2022 at 6:12 AM, cern said:

We don't talking about a synth here.. This is a toy. 

It has never ever happened in history that someone makes cool music with something that is not meant to be an instrument. Anyway here's another toy:

38 minutes ago, thawkins said:

j4z61uI.jpg&h=720f01c911446d48eb10cd9b0e

I knew an older guy who actually went down that road with making his own clothes back in the 80s.  When I knew him (7-8 years ago) he had been the manager of a historical farm for over 20 years, hadn't used electricity since the day he was hired, and wore all clothes made himself using fabrics woven from yarn made from wool shorn from sheep he had rasied himself (he wouldn't shear them, though, that's way too advanced and there are maybe half a dozen professional sheep shearers who travel around the country and do it for everyone who still lives like that).

Yeah with all things like this, if the person actually goes and pulls it off, it's really amazing and cool to see and I can totally respect that. On the flip side, you rarely see this kind of folk post on the internet, because they have just completely immersed themselves in their way of life and that does not include being online beyond the bare minimum.

Apologies if I've asked this before, but still on a mission:

Is there a hardware MIDI Controller that lets you add your own name to a parameter that shows up on a display? So for instance, you could name "cutoff" for CC74, and when you turn the control assigned to that CC, the display will show the name ("Cutoff" in this example) and the value for that parameter.

Never understood why MIDI Controllers don't do this. "Envelope Attack" is a lot more helpful to see than CC73.