IGNORED

the watmm GAS thread

modey

If my OT had 8 stereo outputs my sound card couldn't handle it, but at least I could sidechain my kicks .. oh wait I could probably do that with a cue out

Or one-shot LFO trig :) it's easier on the Monomachine with the trig chaining though.

im not going to lie, i still dont understand how something like the octatrack would benefit me in  sense of my current setup, stereo modular with a blofeld and ableton. im slowly beginning to consider the piece of hardware that connects the rest of my gear, but im still not sure i have any idea exactly what i want out of it. 

im not going to lie, i still dont understand how something like the octatrack would benefit me in  sense of my current setup, stereo modular with a blofeld and ableton. im slowly beginning to consider the piece of hardware that connects the rest of my gear, but im still not sure i have any idea exactly what i want out of it. 

sure, you may not need it at all.. but really, that's the good thing about the octatrack imo, even compared to other elektron devices, it really can be used in so many different ways. I'm using it much more like a synth than a sampler, and also sequence my nord lead, reface etc, and running their outputs into the AB/CD inputs for further effects. I haven't even hooked it up to the monomachine yet lol

There was times when i used OT outs  as 4 mono channels by hard-panning AB and CD.

Year ago i had to optimize and minimize my setup since my son began to approach my desk full of heavy boxes which is not safe for him.

I tried to use smaller mixer but finaly everything ended up with this configuration.

30275624423_da581f5b7f_o.png

33018086193_e3ac89f7e6_o.png

Edited by telefunken

setup looks nice! How does the micromodular compare to axoloti? I can get a micromodular for $320AU or an axoloti for I dunno $130 or something, trying to decide which one heh

Micromodular is versatile (as always). Sounds fat (as 2nd gen Nord you know). It is also really stable and never fails.

With Axoloti while patching you have to compile always first to hear/see results so no realtime patching in style of Nord. Though Axoloti is more verstile with it's GPIOs and MIDI there are also plans to implement multiple cores audio rate and control rate interconnection. There are also dozens of new objects by users now — community is growing.  It's paradigm is more in pd/max realm than 'virtual eurorack' a'la nord.

I use mine as FX processor using CUE In/Out as send/recieve through DIR. I made several patches and loaded 'em  as precompiled bank so it can work autonomously. I control its parameters via midi using CC pages on OT.

33791655426_05fc2eaf79_o.gif

Axoloti sounds nice too.

Example i made for BBDBode patch

I have one more Axoloti with fried output (there was a problem on revision 1.0) and i plan to use it as midi processor/generator to do autoaccompanement using something like 2nd order markov chains.

Edited by telefunken

Yeah. G2 is dope and has a memory for delays at least. Someone on electromusic forum made some uberlush reverb algorythms in style of classic eventide stuff for example. I also suspect plenty of buffer abuse stuff and reverbs at Untilted, Quaristice and Oversteps tours was made on G2.

Just got back from an Arrington de Dionyso improv set that was all saxophone, drums and PVC pipes with sax mouthpieces attached, as good as I've ever heard him, and it kind of makes me wish I didn't play (mostly) stuff that needs electricity.

ha, yeah, I've been having the desire to get back into classical guitar again lately. It's nice to just play sometimes without having to worry about sound design or mixing lol.

Having said that, I'm watching Marc Doty's Minilogue videos and I'm getting tempted.. they're just so cheap and so cute. I want a blue one! Maybe if I ever get paid that $300 I was supposed to get for the gig I played two months ago..

Guest Chesney

I have a soft spot for Waldorf and this could be insane. Still pretty vague and not really into the touch screen but the synthesis sounds very promising. People have been asking for granular hardware for a while.

Demo and presets are garbage but obviously anyone with a waldorf synth they know not to trust any demo or preset to gauge what they can do.

Reminds me of an old Roland, like a D50? I'd be interested if it wasn't so massive! Would look pimp next to a matrix brute though  :beer:

Got a BCR2000 on the way. Want to experiment more with sound sculpting so hoping it will help. 

Guest Chesney

Yeah totally Alan Ord! Partly reason I wanted a Matrixbrute initially when it was anounced was because it was visually like a waldorf wave.

I have a soft spot for Waldorf and this could be insane. Still pretty vague and not really into the touch screen but the synthesis sounds very promising. People have been asking for granular hardware for a while.

Demo and presets are garbage but obviously anyone with a waldorf synth they know not to trust any demo or preset to gauge what they can do.

I've actually kind of come around on touch screens lately.  Found a Korg i30 (the arranger version of the N264, last generation AI2 engine but with a Trinity/Triton style touch screen) at a thrift shop for $50 last year and made it my master controller because I really like the keybed, but it turns out that primitive  90s touchscreen actually makes it really fun to work with and I find myself using it as a synth a lot, even though it's just another 90s Korg ROMpler with nothing particularly unique about it synthesis wise.

I could see an actual modern touchscreen on a synth being a lot of fun (it doesn't look very responsive but you can't even drag at all on the i30 touchscreen and it's still great), and hybrid polysynths are cool in general, so this could be really nice.

I was selling my op1 (with case) on eBay. Winning bid was $820. Then the bidder backs, out saying: "I really can't swing that much money on something that's used."

Anyone need an op1?

of course it's a really fun thing to have etc etc, but i never worked it into my setup. i don't want to own a bunch of islands of gear that i can make fun sketches on. op1 is a lot of fun and i guess i got a lot out of it. i made a Nitro effect in ableton that i really like. but i realize now something that can't sync is just a no go for me.

now it probably wont sell on ebay unless i take new photos and make it seem like it's a different op1.