Hotness. 

Coupla thoughts after reading the last couple of pages here:

- The T69 extended version. I just think it's pretty fucking amazing that after (likely) reading comments on Weirdcore's instagram post with the extra bits, and the comments here from folks who missed sections from the live version, that this got released. Essentially for free. I really can't think of another artist of this stature who has so kindly catered to their audience, in a total "show don't tell" way. There's wasn't some sort of "HEY GUYS, CHECK THIS OUT, YOU ASKED FOR IT, YOU GOT IT YAY ME!" sort of announcement, shit just got dropped in our laps.  It's just so incredibly generous. Wish, before diving in to why people hate the transition, doesn't think it flows, why it's not in 24 bit, etc., people would take a moment and just say "thanks" for the opportunity to have something to critique at all. I mean, it's totally fine, reasonable, etc. to have an opinion, and forums like this are where people go to voice theirs, but a modicum of gratitude (or at least recognition) might be nice? 

I write this all with the acknowledgment that the above is my opinion too. Some may not agree, and that's fine. It just makes me a little sad that people (myself included) so often jump straight deciding why they do or do not like something, without taking a moment to appreciate the beauty of existence itself. 

- The actual EP (with acknowledgements, again, this is only my opinion): It is utterly inspiring and life affirming to hear someone who is approaching their 50's continue to evolve. Drukqs has (had) always been my favorite album, and it's partly because it seemed to take elements of every prior Aphex release and combine them, while adding new techniques and ways of approaching music to the mix (everything from the microediting to the prepared piano, for example). A song like Mt. St. Michel or Ziggomatic blend incredibly intricate, evolving beats with equally moving melodies, layered with textures that, on their own, wouldn't be out of place on SAWII.  

A while ago I posted a thread asking how people would feel if Aphex released an EP of Drukqs outtakes. Most people indicated they would be (somewhat predictably) chuffed. Recently, someone here posted that they are grateful they got this EP instead of that. I absolutely concur. This EP feels like the culmination of the expert mastery of analogue equipment combined with the intricate programming of Drukqs, with new techniques added (e.g., the footstep stuff people keep talking about and the "collapse" elements that appear, etc.). Like my favorite songs on Drukqs, these tracks feel like a journey - pick any track and play the first 30 seconds and then play the last 30 seconds and consider how amazing that these tracks go from point a to b, seamlessly, and then consider all the different twists and turns they take along the way. It's utterly astounding. A masterclass in taking what you know, continuing to grow with it, learn new things, and apply it all in a way is both expertly composed and organic. 

One day, inevitably, mankind will perish, and likely by our own hand. It's nice to know these wavelengths were released into the world before that day, and I'm grateful to have had them reach my ears, and enter my brain, ending up in my heart. Namaste, bitches!

Footwork? Ha. This is on a complete other level.

hipster microgenre

That's a dismissive way to put it. I'm from Chicago and some of the communities here are completely consumed by footwork. It's not my music but for some people it's pervasive throughout their culture -- far from hipster fodder.

Edited by LOL Alzado

Guys sorry to come off as a jackass there... I agree I can be pretty ridiculous with my ranting ? I don't have anything against footwork by any means, I actually love some of it, I just get annoyed how people seem to like to type out the "juke & footwork" thing on internet forums as if it's a brand new concept or get on the bandwagon for some obscure cultural credit.

My watmm mates don't bother me on it, it's more the vaporwave Facebook groups that like to drop the term actually and I cringe cuz most of them are like 14. That's where it's coming from. If anyone gets pretentious it's me with my wax poetic over vaporwave ???

hipster microgenre

That's a dismissive way to put it. I'm from Chicago and some of the communities here are completely consumed by footwork. It's not my music but for some people it's pervasive throughout their culture -- far from hipster fodder.

https://youtu.be/_jTfw19RgBo

I’m also from Chicago ❤️

hipster microgenre

RDJ dropped 3 JLIN tracks during his Day For Night set, he's def been listening to footwork and juke

example of the noise on right channel. Recorded after I had cleaned the record and stylus.

Has anyone contacted blerp yet about the quality of the pressing? I haven't seen if anyone has. 

Since there are so many people it might be worth it. 

example of the noise on right channel. Recorded after I had cleaned the record and stylus.

Has anyone contacted blerp yet about the quality of the pressing? I haven't seen if anyone has. 

It's pointless for me to contact Blerp, since I bought from Norman Records (tired of fuck-ups with Blerp).

I can't even complain to Warp though, because they'll just refer me to the retailer I bought the record from. I've emailed Norman to see what, if anything, can be done.

I'm sure fuck-all will be done, since it's a one-off pressing...

It's pointless for me to contact Blerp, since I bought from Norman Records (tired of fuck-ups with Blerp).

I can't even complain to Warp though, because they'll just refer me to the retailer I bought the record from. I've emailed Norman to see what, if anything, can be done.

Icic.... Hold out hope though. NTS sesh fuckups were fixed?

lets say it arrives not fucked up like its been hit with sledgehammer from all sides after sitting at the bottom of a one tonne skip of other parcels, just like Gollum in his cave with his 'precious', it seems to be fruitless waste of obsessive time

In this day and age, with mobile loseless audio (sit in the garden, go for a walk, cycle through the countryside, climb a mountain, have picnic, go for a drive etc etc etc) why the fuck bother with an expensive ball ache of plastic that can only be played while sitting a few metres away from a machine that you have to turn over every 20 minutes

I dunno I just get tired of the same people complaining about their vinyl, never positive conversation about the music like most of us. Always the same thing over and over again about the materialistic nature of their precious vinyl

it's just one big downer all the time isn't it? and it's well fucking boring

Edited by beerwolf

Icic.... Hold out hope though. NTS sesh fuckups were fixed?

I thought the NTS Session replacements came in sleeves that didn't have foil blocking, and the sleeve colour cast was wrong?

lets say it arrives not fucked up like its been hit with sledgehammer from all sides after sitting at the bottom of a one tonne skip of other parcels, just like Gollum in his cave with his 'precious', it seems to be fruitless waste of obsessive time

In this day and age, with mobile loseless audio (sit in the garden, go for a walk, cycle through the countryside, climb a mountain, have picnic, go for a drive etc etc etc) why the fuck bother with an expensive ball ache of plastic that can only be played while sitting a few metres away from a machine that you have to turn over every 20 minutes

I dunno I just get tired of the same people complaining about their vinyl, never positive conversation about the music like most of us. Always the same thing over and over again about the materialistic nature of their precious vinyl

it's just one big downer all the time isn't it?

1. I haven't made any comment about the music, because in this subforum, unless you're giving complete praise you are a fucking heathen. I find it best to just avoid that discussion entirely.

2. A lot of people paid £17.99 for a record that, by many accounts, has a pressing defect. Along with the issues with NTS Sessions vinyl that arrived very warped and with pressing defects, Warp's quality control has slipped drastically. While I was dismissive in the NTS thread about 'bent sleeves', I completely understand why someone would want the actual records to be playable.

3. Out of my collection of records, only a very few have problems of this nature. To claim that vinyl as a listening format has these defects inherently is to show how clueless one is to make such a statement.