IGNORED

We Are The Music Makers | Volume Two (PLANNING & DISCUSSION)

Joyrex

Our first compilation, We Are The Music Makers | Volume One came out back in 2004. Since then, I've always wanted to do a Volume 2, following the same formula of having the community contribute tracks, vote on the best tracks by the community, and then have a professional-pressed CD of the release.

It would be great if we could do a vinyl version as well, but of course that costs money - the way we did it back in 2004 was by getting at least 100 preorders to fund the CD pressing. This was long before things like Kickstarter, GoFundMe, etc. changed the crowdfunding landscape. Now, we could do the same, or maybe go the Kickstarter route like we did with the Caustic Window LP? Have stretch goals for vinyl versions, shirts, etc.?

I'm 100% open to ideas, suggestions, etc. on getting this off the ground and making Volume Two a reality (and have fun doing it) - so let's hear some of your ideas and suggestions!

• Like 7

Vinyl as a stretch goal sounds regit, also then paying for someone to pro-master it all (CD and vinyl)

Stretch goal of getting TDR to provide artwork ???

2xCD pack would be ace. 

I don't make IDM music but I could try and produce something suitable for the voting rounds - maybe a synthy drone or a drum workout. Im guessing there would be criteria on length / genre etc...

Maybe we can get BoC, ae and the twins to remix our songs as well.

10 minutes ago, Gocab said:

Maybe we can get BoC, ae and the twins to remix our songs as well.

I wonder what AE would charge to do a remix EP of their favourite tracks from the compilation...

• Like 1

On 7/4/2019 at 10:23 AM, Goiter Sanchez said:

Brb; finishing Fazoli's inspired track (wi my babe)

Replying on WATMM with My Babe

18 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

I guess we're not gonna get this one mastered at Abbey Road, huh. ?

No, but unlike the original, we will get someone to master it!

• Like 1

It's great that people are interested and want to contribute, but to keep the conversation going - what ideas does anybody have to make the compilation interesting or unique?

A theme?

How many tracks should it be (or should that be determined by the fundraising efforts)?

Formats (again, crowdfunding stretch goals)? Cassette? Vinyl? MD? Digital Vinyls? Analog MP3s? Wax Cylinders? (Aleski can't have all the fun)

Digipak? Jewel Case? Micro Jewel Case? Gatefold Sleeves?

What should the artwork feature?

• Like 1

WATMM radio host that introduces a story between tracks comes to mind. With a script written here which could work for interlude vibes too. That'd be sick as a cassette release.  Could also make the theme of the songs more fluid. 

But, who knows how hard that is to do on a collective scale. I for one would like a more memorable unique collaborative effort instead of a compilation, but das just me.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, chronical said:

WATMM radio host that introduces a story between tracks comes to mind. With a script written here which could work for interlude vibes too. That'd be sick as a cassette release.  Could also make the theme of the songs more fluid. 

But, who knows how hard that is to do on a collective scale. I for one would like a more memorable unique collaborative effort instead of a compilation, but das just me.

That's an interesting idea - have vocal interludes between songs, small vignettes, etc.

1 hour ago, chronical said:

I like this idea a lot too.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Joyrex said:

That's an interesting idea - have vocal interludes between songs, small vignettes, etc.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Format should be a cookie tin full of reel to reel tape (not on a spool, but all tangled up)

royal-dansk-danish-butter-cookies-16-oz-

or wax cylinder

Edited by Hautlle
  • Like 1