IGNORED

Coronavirus COVID-19

BCM

Stay strong, Rubin.

One critical point though: I would never blame politics or the media for bad relationships with people close. That stuff is about relationships and emotional intelligence. You can't blame those on politics and media. Even if conflicts are often about those subjects. It's always a relational thing and the solution is outside the influence of media and politics. 

Or in other words, let's say you disagree with me and feel insulted by me, would you blame Trump? The media? That stuff would be between us. F the media and F Trump.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jaderpansen said:

also-also what the shit: the retirement home i work at is still accepting visitors. just some half-assed stipulations going liek "only one per resident at a time and only for 1 hour each", like anyone's actually gonna control this shit. today they even held group activities and the fucking cafeteria in our foyer in was open... while regular ones out in the street had to close. dafuq? the cdu's main electorate is at stake after all!

A relative of mine is boss of a retiement home (150 people living there) and well... if you enforce visitor limitations where it is possible (e.g., you allow visitors for dying people) - good luck with the uprise of relatives/visitors. This all binds a shitton of time. Also, they have some department somewhere offsite which decides what is to do. They are not calm, they send out numerous mails "Please do this!", "Please read this 150 pages and act accordingly" etc. etc.

The few people who work in this country now feel like the real idiots.

Also: our climate youth should be asked what to do. They are experts @... damanythings.

Edited by Guest

48 minutes ago, manmower said:

Catching the virus is inevitable for many of us even under the lock-down conditions. As long as we're out there getting groceries, health care and meds, doing essential labor etcetera it will happen (if it hasn't already in the weeks preceding the measures), just slower which is the whole point.

I kept saying that to people at work, sitting there with their newly bought spray bottle of disinfectant of their desks. They did not want to hear it.

There's a weird 'If I wear alcohol gel like a crucifix around my neck it will protect me and I will never succumb' mentality 

No, it's not like that. Disinfecting hands is still required. The idea is to make the virus spread slower so the health care systems won't have to deal with more incoming patients than it can handle. The fact that it's likely that you get the virus at some point doesn't mean that it's nonsensical to prevent the spread.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, goDel said:

Stay strong, Rubin.

One critical point though: I would never blame politics or the media for bad relationships with people close. That stuff is about relationships and emotional intelligence. You can't blame those on politics and media. Even if conflicts are often about those subjects. It's always a relational thing and the solution is outside the influence of media and politics. 

Or in other words, let's say you disagree with me and feel insulted by me, would you blame Trump? The media? That stuff would be between us. F the media and F Trump.

Unfortunately, they have limited education and are from rural Mississippi, so that's def a factor.  This isn't new with them, a stepbrother is basically a QAnon subscriber, the stepmother has dementia and is a textbook narcissist, but it's "inconveniencing" their lifestyle, which is basically freeloading off my Dad.  Family probs yeah, but they haven't believed anything they've heard in the media for at least 5 years now, so it's a lost cause.  I love em, but goddamn enough is enough at some point.  YMMV ? The biggest frustration is I can't convince anyone to wash their hands for at least 30 seconds, or use hand sanitizer.  I guess if they can't see it, it can't hurt them.  They also never cover their mouths and are always coughing and sneezing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, goDel said:

Sounds like a good environment to train your physical and emotional (!!) immune system! ;D

Immunity booster ordered, like just now.  haha

31 minutes ago, Wurstwasser said:

A relative of mine is boss of a retiement home (150 people living there) and well... if you enforce visitor limitations where it is possible (e.g., you allow visitors for dying people) - good luck with the uprise of relatives/visitors. This all binds a shitton of time. Also, they have some department somewhere offsite which decides what is to do. They are not calm, they send out numerous mails "Please do this!", "Please read this 150 pages and act accordingly" etc. etc.

The few people who work in this country now feel like the real idiots.

Also: our climate youth should be asked what to do. They are experts @... damanythings.

Look at these idiots, they could carry this virus back to their parents or grandparents and literally put them at risk of death.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/aint-serious-miami-spring-breakers-074801407.html

This Friday, bandcamp is waiving all revenue sharing fees, so if you have a little extra disposable cash, maybe throw some to a musician you admire, I'm sure there are plenty of bandcampers on here.

https://exclaim.ca/music/article/bandcamp_to_waive_revenue_share_on_all_music_for_new_release_friday?utm_source=facebookpage&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=fbpwall&fbclid=IwAR0ClpSAAis8IZjsc5HIBUXWJGnrPX_3LK8fEhUv0h9OxU5pUBF62qlvf08

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, darreichungsform said:

No, it's not like that. Disinfecting hands is still required. The idea is to make the virus spread slower so the health care systems won't have to deal with more incoming patients than it can handle. The fact that it's likely that you get the virus at some point doesn't mean that it's nonsensical to prevent the spread.

not the point I was making and Yah I know BUT OK

18 minutes ago, hello spiral said:
1 hour ago, darreichungsform said:

not the point I was making and Yah I know BUT OK

you were deriding people taking precautionary measures... likely out of hopes of saving the lives of loved ones. just to clarify for everyone.

any other toxic shit you got for us spi?

• Like 1

i think spiral was making fun of those at work who believe gel gives them absolute protection, is all. yes, washing hands and avoiding contact is very important. doesn't mean you and your coworkers have 0 chance of getting infected though

• Like 2

oh right that's what he meant of course. ohhhh insightful. mind = blown. great musing. please more.

he definitely wasn't mocking those people and their precautionary acts that could in reality save many lives

but hey you're not accountable for your statements. no one will hold you to account so you can get away with saying things that will cost lives. make fun of me for caring about information and asserting that people are responsible for the info they put out there. fuck me.

• Like 1

my parents, who are in their seventies, returned recently from a trip to california and now both have coughs/colds. before I'd be like "get well soon!" but now I can't help thinking about another outcome. they were supposed to come stay with us for a few days, but have now wisely decided to remain at home.

I'm very concerned about people's mental health through all of this. this is a lot to adjust to in a very short period of time. 

• Sad 2

19 minutes ago, very honest said:

oh right that's what he meant of course. ohhhh insightful. mind = blown. great musing. please more.

he definitely wasn't mocking those people and their precautionary acts that could in reality save many lives

but hey you're not accountable for your statements. no one will hold you to account so you can get away with saying things that will cost lives. make fun of me for caring about information and asserting that people are responsible for the info they put out there. fuck me.

nothing he said implied that washing your hands and being worried are ridiculous. your interpretation is wrong. read what's in the text, not what you believe is

Edited by brian trageskin

7 minutes ago, brian trageskin said:

nothing he said implied that washing your hands and being worried are ridiculous. your interpretation is wrong. read what's in the text, not what you believe is

here's spiral's contribution, which we're discussing

2 hours ago, hello spiral said:
3 hours ago, manmower said:

Catching the virus is inevitable for many of us even under the lock-down conditions. As long as we're out there getting groceries, health care and meds, doing essential labor etcetera it will happen (if it hasn't already in the weeks preceding the measures), just slower which is the whole point.

I kept saying that to people at work, sitting there with their newly bought spray bottle of disinfectant of their desks. They did not want to hear it.

There's a weird 'If I wear alcohol gel like a crucifix around my neck it will protect me and I will never succumb' mentality 

seems to me like spiral was making a case against precautionary measures. characterizing sanitizer as a superstition is mocking

Edited by very honest

1 minute ago, very honest said:

seems to me like spiral was making a case against precautionary measures. characterizing sanitizer as a superstition is mocking

that's not what he did though. you read that wrong. try again

9 minutes ago, very honest said:

Seems to me like he's gently poking fun at them thinking using hand sanitizer allows them to go to the bar.

Also seems like you're way over-reacting. Are you ok? Stressed?

20 minutes ago, chenGOD said:

Seems to me like he's gently poking fun at them thinking using hand sanitizer allows them to go to the bar.

26 minutes ago, brian trageskin said:

that's not what he did though. you read that wrong. try again

i disagree. the explicit content of spiral's post included the following

• contracting the virus is inevitable
  • he tells that to people using sanitizer

spiral then projects an obviously incorrect rationale onto his coworkers, the idea that sanitizer will grant them absolute protection. obviously nobody thinks that. like not a single person on earth. so the only way to interpret it is as hyperbole, meaning that spiral's statement is aimed to deride the different but similar mentality that actually exists in reality, that using sanitizer helps.

and no chen i'm not ok and yeah chen i am stressed. but we don't have time to tolerate goobers depositing harmful misinformation on this topic, and i think it is correct for me to set the example that we should not enable such frivolous information handling in these dire times. i think sometimes chastizement has a role to play and i think maybe this is one of those times.

Edited by very honest

3 minutes ago, chenGOD said:

Lately I've seen way more downplaying than overreacting, though. It's more dangerous to take it not seriously enough than to take it a bit too seriously, isn't it?

Edited by darreichungsform
corrected

Just now, darreichungsform said:

Lately I've seen way more downplaying than overreacting, though. It's more dangerous to take it a bit too seriously than not taking it seriously enough, isn't it?

I mean over-reacting to spiral's post.