IGNORED

Lamental EP

d-a-m-o

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very strange. This video made me instantly think of Anthony Bourdain (R.I.P.)

The track is no doubt low-key and sounds mournful at least to my ears, this and the combination of the footage of Detroit, the Detroit episode of Parts Unknown was easily one of my favourites (among many classic episodes) of his.

An amazing example of the magic spell weaved by the power of music :squarepusher_logo:

On 4/14/2020 at 4:25 AM, President Squidward said:

Hot take: The Paris Track and Detroit People Mover are better than the rest of the EP and Be Up A Hello.

I 100% agree with this, those two tracks are up there with the best work he's done.

Detroit People Mover, what a beautiful video. The track itself to me feels very analog orchestral, with al the classical elements like brass, strings, pizzicato, timpani, legato, etc. Really nice composition, very... moving! 

Wow I loved the lp, everything from it. The flow, the beginning with those nice melodies, the middle break with Detroit track, then the dope rythmicks beat fuckery and  then the  « dark » ending.

but here the Paris track isn’t doing it for me. That kick. ugh. The track is built like super mainstream. I don’t know. Yes what I know ? Nothing.

sorry I just don’t feel this one It’s not my cup of tea, i love midi sans frontières tho

i live in Paris, and here we say I’m a Parisian, I love nothing.

we love to complain. 

it's like tom did the midi sans frontieres remix event in order to open source composing the perfect drums for the melodies. after years contemplating approaches by hundreds of composers, he forged a new perfection of sound with avec batterie

Look, I’ve tried. Really, I have. But new, accessible, melodic Tom just doesn’t do it for me. Not Detroit People Mover, not The Paris Track and not, God forbid, Oberlove either.

It’s just too obvious: the melodies, the arrangements and, especially, the sound design (Detroit People Mover is especially bad in this regard). What also doesn’t help is that it seems to take itself so very seriously - that’s always a pet peeve of mine.

Hello Everything Be up a hello luckily has a lot of other stuff so I can enjoy it just fine. This EP, however, I can’t get into. Sad.

(Then again, I used to really dislike busy convoluted Tom - Go Plastic - as well, so maybe this, too, will grow on me. Let’s hope so.)

1 hour ago, rhmilo said:

Be Up a Hello Everything luckily has a lot of other stuff so I can enjoy it just fine. This EP, however, I can’t get into. Sad.

FTFY (I think?)

On 4/16/2020 at 9:42 PM, thumbass said:

Stunning video

Wasn't until I saw the video it totally made me think that it totally wouldn't have sounded out of place as a track on his bro's album:

Archived