IGNORED

Autechre - SIGN 16.10.20

NewSchoolScience

13 hours ago, Friendly Stranger said:

is SIGN anyone's album of the year? Pretty sure it's mine. I can't get over how good th red a is, every time I hear it I lose my mind a little bit more. So, so good!

Definitely album of the year, in my book 

• Like 3

On 12/2/2020 at 8:18 AM, Friendly Stranger said:

is SIGN anyone's album of the year? Pretty sure it's mine. I can't get over how good th red a is, every time I hear it I lose my mind a little bit more. So, so good!

easily. nothing else has resonated with me on such a deep level. I feel like I've had liquid Metaz form8 flowing thru my veins for the last 2 months

• Like 6

listened to SIGN for the first time in a while. enjoyed it a lot.  i got to r cazt and it's like a lasso or something. "hey .. remember Vletrmx21? you do.. good because we're gonna do that to you again with different language and for this time. after you listen r catz you can listen to Vletrmx21 then r cazt again then wonder how it all taps into your ears and makes you want to lay down on the floor and remember that one time..."

Edited by ignatius
  • Like 6

i've read some hate on esc desc (not here) and i was like wha- how?! it's probably my most fave track of the whole SIGN/PLUS bunch. i don't usually like overly melodic AE tracks that much but esc desc is epic af.

(i've never liked see on see but love esc desc, is that weird?)

• Like 1

I really really really like F7. Especially the low end/percussive bits that creep up as it goes on. So good! Haven't been listening to PLUS much at all...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/2/2020 at 5:18 PM, Friendly Stranger said:

Both SIGN and PLUS ended up on the Top 10 bestseller list of my local record shop. There must some decent people go shopping there...
(I bought them as pre-orders from the AE Store of course, because I'm even more decent then they are... ? )

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Chabraendeky said:

Both SIGN and PLUS ended up on the Top 10 bestseller list of my local record shop. There must some decent people go shopping there...
(I bought them as pre-orders from the AE Store of course, because I'm even more decent then they are... ? )

Hell yea, that’s my kind of record shop!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

listened to SIGN again while drifting in and out of sleep yesterday, somehow I was picking up on lots of hidden layers in the tracks which made me appreciate the whole album from a totally new angle. F7 especially opened up for me this time around (which had been my least-fav track up until now).

Lots of people have mentioned how sonically consistent the album feels (myself included), but yesterday's listening session made me realize how totally different and unique all of the tracks really are. It reminds me of Confield in that way, where each track feels like its own self-contained world, while also feeling really coherent as album.

• Like 6

On 1/4/2021 at 12:35 PM, AnwarAutokino said:

Lots of people have mentioned how sonically consistent the album feels (myself included), but yesterday's listening session made me realize how totally different and unique all of the tracks really are. It reminds me of Confield in that way, where each track feels like its own self-contained world, while also feeling really coherent as album.

I find this really striking in the first 3 tracks especially - they're each so distinct and different from each other. si00 in particular is unlike anything else I've heard, it feels like its own perfectly defined sonic bubble, and no matter how much I listen to it, it still eludes easy contextualization. Definitely very reminiscent of Confield in that way, I keep coming back to it because nothing else can warp my brain quite like it does.

• Like 4

to me the consistency is no "surface illusion" because i myself didn't mean that each track is the same by that but that the album sequencing (position of the tracks) is top notch and thus has a really nice flow so the whole thing sounds like a consistent piece that justifies the album format. it sounds like a concept album (for lack of better words) unlike PLUS which sounds like a collection of songs sometimes almost in random order.

• Like 1

M4 Lema is one of my fav ae tracks in quite some time. I know I waited to listen to SIGN in a proper environment and that first giant swell at 1:30 gave me crazy goosebumps on first listen. It never fails every time I listen to it now as well. I really love that underlying, super-funky beat. I often wonder what that sounded like early on when Sean said it was an in-your-face banging beat. I'd kill to hear that. Overall, SIGN is such a nice, concise, and totally cohesive piece. It reminds me a lot of Confield just in the way that it is a wonderful alien world that is worth constant exploration. 

• Like 6