IGNORED

Autechre - PLUS 20.11.20

Blir

Listened to SIGN + PLUS all in one go earlier.. worked better as 1 long album (flow-wise) then I was expecting!

Also was kinda funny that while SIGN was playing I was thinking PLUS is good, but this is so the better album... but then into PLUS I was like, wait a min maybe not!

35 minutes ago, coax said:

lso thought maybe the order is PLUS SIGN as in plussign. or maybe they put them out of order so you can choose which order you want. To me SIGN sounds more like an ending segment than a beginning, but then again the ending with cinematics / epic is kind of cliche so having PLUS at the end sort of changes things up. I don't really care that much but eh ?

Interesting idea..So going to try in that way round as well!

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"sign" in software refers to signed vs unsigned. sign refers to the negative sign.

sign / plus = - / +

after shuffling them together for many hours, it doesn't make sense not to. it's a 2 part release. and utterly insane. 

Edited by very honest
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Farnsworth 2

4 minutes ago, very honest said:

"sign" in software refers to signed vs unsigned. sign refers to the negative sign.

sign / plus = - / +

after shuffling them together for many hours, it doesn't make sense not to. plus is drugs for sign.

Interesting thanks! I have never heard of that, do you mean in max/msp or software in general? do you have a link about it because I tried to search

8 minutes ago, coax said:

Interesting thanks! I have never heard of that, do you mean in max/msp or software in general? do you have a link about it because I tried to search

google "maximum value of integer." depends if it's a signed int. a property of numerical datatypes, which exist in probably all programming langauges

Edited by very honest

13 minutes ago, very honest said:

To be exact, there are signed and unsigned numeric values; unsigned values are always positive (or zero), and signed values can be both positive and negative (or zero) - but it's not called "sign": with e.g. signed integers one bit from the binary representation is used as a sign bit, where 1 tells that the number is negative and 0 that it's positive (it's a bit more complicated than that because you also have to understand two's complement). An 8-bit unsigned integer has values from 0 to 255, and the signed from -128 to 127 - both encode 255 steps.

Edited by dcom
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Farnsworth 2

4 minutes ago, very honest said:

google "min value of interger." depends if it's a signed int

Thanks

What i found was A signed integer is a 32-bit datum that encodes an integer in the range [-2147483648 to 2147483647]. An unsigned integer is a 32-bit datum that encodes a nonnegative integer in the range [0 to 4294967295].

So it seems like unsigned is indeed positive but signed can also be positive as well as negative? Ive no idea about this stuff, cool though

1 hour ago, dcom said:

To be exact, there are signed and unsigned numeric values; unsigned values are always positive (or zero), and signed values can be both positive and negative (or zero) - but it's not called "sign": with e.g. signed integers one bit from the binary representation is used as a sign bit, where 1 tells that the number is negative and 0 that it's positive (it's a bit more complicated than that because you also have to understand two's complement).

yeah. "signed" is what you see, in the context of datatypes. but, to be fair, the word sign is used, in a broader context (including within programming contexts), to refer to the positive/negative disposition of a number. 

Edited by very honest

14 minutes ago, very honest said:

yeah. "signed" is what you see, in the context of datatypes. but, to be fair, the word sign is used, in a boader context (as well as within programming contexts), to describe the positive/negative disposition of a number. that's as an additional definition of the word, with significance, though.

I would love to start a semantic fisticuffs about the significance of the term sign in the broader context of semiotics where signifié and signifiant abound as the two main planes - content and expression - of a sign, joust freely about Baudrillard's sign-orders, simulacra and simulation, Barthes' connotation/denotation and bicker about Saussure's langue and parole - but I desist. Release the Farnsworths!

Edited by dcom
  • Farnsworth 7

Since the late 90s my Rugby League team in Australia has been the Canberra Raiders. Known as "the green machine", their primary colour is lime green and they hail from the nation's CAPITAL. Made their first Grand Final (decider) the same year that Autechre formed. Logos old & new and some of their current stars in the kit:

Canberra Raiders | Logopedia | FandomRaiders logo | Australian rugby league, Nrl, Raiders

NRL finals 2019: Josh Papalii, Canberra Raiders vs South Sydney Rabbitohs,  preliminary final | Fox Sports

Canberra Raiders' contracts and NRL salary cap facing cuts post coronavirus  pandemic | The Canberra Times | Canberra, ACT

Edited by Roo

As much as I’ve said PLUS is totally great, I don’t really get ii.pre esc (or esle 0, though that ones a bit of a moodier listen at least.) lux 106 mod has maybe more to dig into than either I think, but in truth also feels a bit weak. Anyone really like these? They kind of just dampen the flow and aren’t interesting in a pretty way either. Even if they had been on NTS I’d find them low ‘meh’ points. 

Edited by Lianne
  • Like 1

Really digging the contrast between SEAN and PLS. Played them back to back this morning at work, and the difference feels was palpable (way more everytiems in SEAN).  I've only listened to it thrice so far, but PLS is one of those raebbit/k-holes (orthogonal to the likes of Elseq, NTS Seshs, ep7, et al.) that just keeps draegging you back in, just like Mad Mike Corleone in Goodburger Part III

Also, massiv raespekts to the 'chre bros for bringing the new hotness rather than polished versions of the 1-6 live excursions; and gotta admit when the sign cover appeared that's what I kinda thot was incoming (forgive me Aes (pls) for being a Doubting Thomyorke).  Speaking of which, some of y'all are way to aartistically focused on it, seriously fronds just go get a lava lamp and cover it with a nonflammable silhouette of Carl Sagan's haircut. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Lianne said:

As much as I’ve said PLUS is totally great, I don’t really get ii.pre esc (or esle 0, though that ones a bit of a moodier listen at least.) lux 106 mod has maybe more to dig into than either I think, but in truth also feels a bit weak. Anyone really like these? They kind of just dampen the flow and aren’t interesting in a pretty way either. Even if they had been on NTS I’d find them low ‘meh’ points. 

I like these very much. And I think they are well-placed in the context of the album. Especially the burst of joy of lux 106 mod after the almost bleak but tense ending of ecol4.

Apropos: lux 106 mod - might that be a Oneohtrix reference?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eclipsis said:

recently when i listen to X4 i think of four of seven for some reason... idk if that's that lowpassed synth at the beginning or what

It also sounds like gonk tuf hi / runrepik rig at times

6 minutes ago, Untitled said:

Id hate to run into this guy at a party. Does my fucking head in. IT'S FUCKING AW-TECH-UR YOU FUCKING PRICK!!!!

He's joking about the name you know that right?

• Like 1