IGNORED

NFTs for music / auction music to the highest bidder via crypto tech

auxien

25 minutes ago, zero said:

could the technology behind NFT's, or whatever it's called that identifies a digital artifact as the original, not serve some other purpose, like identifying a digital document as the original? like a digital contract or something? I had a discussion with someone recently about NFT's, and we both agreed the concept of paying thousands for some stupid jpeg is ridiculous. but it came up that this sort of technology could be implemented in other avenues. 

and apologies if this was already discussed in the past 12 pages...I saw this thread again and this came to mind.

the blockchain is "the technology behind NFT's". an NFT has a unique "digital signature" comprised of the identify of the person/people that minted it (attached to their wallet) as well as the metadata on the NFT (music, JPEG) and "exists" on the blockchain. all this information is shared across thousands of computers (i.e. the blockchain).

the reason some people pay thousands "for some stupid jpeg" is because they're gambling on the fact that blockchain technology will be similar to the internet in the next few years. so for some (like the 2 guys that paid $28 million for a painting) are doing it to showcase the art in a virtual museum with the idea that there are people that will pay to see it (perhaps in VR?), or in the sandbox

9 minutes ago, Nebraska said:

the blockchain is "the technology behind NFT's". an NFT has a unique "digital signature" comprised of the identify of the person/people that minted it (attached to their wallet) as well as the metadata on the NFT (music, JPEG) and "exists" on the blockchain. all this information is shared across thousands of computers (i.e. the blockchain).

the reason some people pay thousands "for some stupid jpeg" is because they're gambling on the fact that blockchain technology will be similar to the internet in the next few years. so for some (like the 2 guys that paid $28 million for a painting) are doing it to showcase the art in a virtual museum with the idea that there are people that will pay to see it (perhaps in VR?), or in the sandbox

ok thanks. yes, I did kinda just blurt a couple things out there without using the correct terminology. I admittingly am not up to par when it comes to this world, which I know a lot of you guys are. I do understand people look at blockchain tech as as an investment. I was merely rambling about other potential uses for it besides digital art.

1 hour ago, zero said:

I was merely rambling about other potential uses for it besides digital art.

you can use it for digital documents like title deeds and (possibly) wills. you can also, as an example, bequeath your name to someone else on the blockchain, or your clout. casify recently came out with an NFT based phone case

https://www.instagram.com/p/CN31YkvsNSe/

• Thanks 1

For every high-profile streamer earning millions, there are many others earning nothing; subscription services and Super Follows are unlikely to change this. But in the meantime, we’ll have normalized an internet where everything is increasingly for sale and content must embed its own marketing within itself, in order to maximize its financial return. That is, we will have the world of NFTs.

NFTs are among the most visible manifestations of what’s being called Web3, a transformation of the backend architecture of the internet in response to Web 2.0’s limitations and asymmetries. Its vision is a blockchain-based internet that works less like an open network circulating “free information” and more like an expansive matrix of built-in ownership and payment infrastructure.

Paid In Full (Drew Austin/Real Life)

2 hours ago, dcom said:

Paid In Full (Drew Austin/Real Life)

good writeup, but he talks about this future like it's a foregone conclusion. the web is surely changing but that doesn't mean 

as Web3 matures, creators will eventually be able to do away with Web 2.0’s legacy approaches to monetization and give their audiences the ability to directly invest and even speculate in content, purchasing tokens that correspond to specific images, texts, or relationships with creators and communities, while that content continues to circulate as widely as it could in Web 2.0. Instead of paywalls, NFTs.

the paywall economy will surely get further tweaks and options, and some of them may incorporate ideas from NFTs... but NFTs replacing paywalls/etc. wholesale is just something i don't see happening.

consumers don't want to speculate on everything. no one wants to go to the grocery store and have to bid on a gallon of milk.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2021 at 3:01 AM, BobDobalina said:

da butt

6 minutes ago, Nebraska said:

hopefully they do some prince NFT's as well. gotta honor those artists in the most capitalistic way possible since we love them so much 

• Facepalm 2
  • Burger 1

can we agree that this is nothing but corporate art's biggest attempt at achieving a legitimate status as something to be taken seriously by buying its way into prestige?

• Like 2

looks like Hawtin is hawking for NFTs now too, surprising absolutely no one

full video linked in that first tweet but i mean, who fucking cares? lol

• Facepalm 2

The newest scam of non-fungible tokens (NFTs), or »non-refundable« investments into a closed stock and bond agreement between owners and users/investors, creates a frightening new future for the music business. Like Spotify, the alternative economic futures aren’t satisfied with just music, they want all of creative content to be available to trade on a free market. In effect, NFTs are like Beanie Babies or Pokemon cards, which have swept up another generation of white and white adjacent financially motivated grifters to stir up hysteria around yet another new financial venture.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, ignatius said:

chadwick boseman NFT will be redesigned because the original was too much of a "triggering reminder" of his death. next one will not be based on a stolen head, but hopefully, fans can still bid as they were doing before, because the love and appreciation should not be affected.

f5yvfrK.png

• Facepalm 2
  • Burger 1

the act of making Chadwick Boseman into a NFT for the Oscar ceremonies is a triggering reminder of his death rather than his life because its so tacky and weird.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, auxien said:

looks like Hawtin is hawking for NFTs now too, surprising absolutely no one

full video linked in that first tweet but i mean, who fucking cares? lol

listening to the youtube now.. ugh. equating early days of techno parties to early days of 'tokens in a digital space" as being "exciting and feeling like those early days" is kind of weird as fuck to say but i guess i don't know what he's talking about. 

perhaps i lack vision or hope as to what the 'digital space' will become. 

it all just feels like a method of marketing hype/sales/capitalism/capital extraction. 

• Like 3

"Having ownership over digital items is going to be more and more important for our generation and definitely the generations coming up."

Aye sure it is Hawtin ... sure it is.... here's an important jpg of some monster in my pockets Hawtin ... have it, it's yours - you can put it next to your digital Prada bags

MONSTERS IN MY Pocket - Monster Mountain/Volcano Display - NEW Decal Sheet  Only! - £10.00 | PicClick UK

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

the guy who took the last pictures is kurt cobain is now selling them as NFTs. time to honor someone we loved so much, by buying pictures of them, for A LOT of money

PeRkkD5.png

https://nft.jessefrohman.com/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CON4tuqhXjD/

Edited by Nebraska
  • Farnsworth 1