IGNORED

Plastikman & Chilly Gonzales - Consumed In Key (Turbo)

dcom

Turbo Recordings presents its grandest achievement yet, a reimagining of Plastikman’s 1998 magnum opus ‘Consumed’, TRANSFORMED as a new collaborative composition between original artist Richie Hawtin and sad musical genius Chilly Gonzales… This is the story of an album three decades in the making, brought into the world by Executive Producer & co-visionary Tiga.

‘Consumed in Key’ is born of the obsessive love of a timeless work of art, an obsessive fascination untempered by fearful reverence. It is the result of a 30-year cycle of musical evolution and inspiration, a touch of Canadian kismet (all three are from Canada) and artists finding common ground where others would see none.

I think the end result is not that interesting, but someone might like it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

read an interview long ago w/richie hawtin where he said he usually jams and then once he has a track all laid out he starts removing elements of it so it'll be focused on only what's essential therefore making it minimal and yada yada.. and said now and then his problem is when to stop removing things. 

kinda funny that he sends consumed (which i like a lot and think is just great how it is) to someone to doodle over.   why not do something new and collaborative instead? 

in that same interview he was talking about how amazing it is to have a lexicon reverb.. like PCM 80 or 90 or whatever.. and pull everything out but the wet signal and have that w/bass and it just sounds so massive etc... 

but yeah.. go ahead.. sprinkle some stuff on it for whatever. 

he's resampled things in the past.. Closer is bits and pieces of Consumed + his spoken word vocal bits and some rearranging. it seemed lazy to me at the time. and i also don't understand this release.. in Key.. idk.. they should've just made something all new. 

it'd be nice if he found some new vein of inspiration to mine. he's talented and can do a thing well and making something unique and interesting. 

2 hours ago, ignatius said:

read an interview long ago w/richie hawtin where he said he usually jams and then once he has a track all laid out he starts removing elements of it so it'll be focused on only what's essential therefore making it minimal and yada yada.. and said now and then his problem is when to stop removing things. 

kinda funny that he sends consumed (which i like a lot and think is just great how it is) to someone to doodle over.   why not do something new and collaborative instead? 

in that same interview he was talking about how amazing it is to have a lexicon reverb.. like PCM 80 or 90 or whatever.. and pull everything out but the wet signal and have that w/bass and it just sounds so massive etc... 

but yeah.. go ahead.. sprinkle some stuff on it for whatever. 

he's resampled things in the past.. Closer is bits and pieces of Consumed + his spoken word vocal bits and some rearranging. it seemed lazy to me at the time. and i also don't understand this release.. in Key.. idk.. they should've just made something all new. 

it'd be nice if he found some new vein of inspiration to mine. he's talented and can do a thing well and making something unique and interesting. 

hawtin also had some solid dj projects back in the day with John Aquaviva, Decks EFX & 909 and DE9, that stuff was inspiring, then he collaborated on Final Scratch (which offered some interesting mash-up possibilities), but then he moved to Berlin and became too übercoolische, that m_nus label was shit, shared a flat with a bunch of hipsters while Magda made the tea, and good drugs fried his brain and creativity, which led to this piano over Consumed

• Burger 1
  • Farnsworth 1
  • Big Brain 2

His early stuff is absolutely brilliant, the Plastikman releases are classics but when was it Richie jumped the shark? Was it when he moved to Berlin?

4 hours ago, xxx said:

ye, "What's next? Sven Vath playing kazoo over 'Sheet One'?" was a solid zing

Micheal Bublé crooning over Musik.

• Like 1

just to echo.. yeah.. Consumed is kinda perfect. really great record. 

as for richie jumped the shark idk. once every couple years there's a 12inch that's good and sounds like it's full of focus or has a 'voice' or whatever.  but i think when that whole "The Cube" tour happened things got pretty fishy. 

he's a kind of entrepreneur now and is invested in a sake brand that he promotes and stuff. he came to portland promoting it and went into my work (i'd gone home already so missed meeting him) also seems he's still in to complex technology and trying to do new things for live sets but seems like new tunes are less of a focus and spending lot's of time on custom solutions for recreating plastikman live is more his thing regardless of how effective those are. i recall seeing some thing about his set up for detroit a few years (5 or 6??) back with ipads and custom one off apps and interacting with analog gear and a serge modular etc. the clips they played sounded good but was basically Gak which is obviously a banger. 

if he was playing here in a smaller venue and not a festival all hyped about something i'd go if i could but the pretense of something magical like "the cube" or whatever is just not a thing i'm gonna go check out. 

i used to play records at a couple places in portland.. Ground Kontrol barcade and long ago a weekly in a bar and i'd always play a couple plastikman tracks because they're dope. 

maybe he's busy having tons of fun djing and whatever and isn't interested in producing new music. it happens. artifaks, sheetone, consumed, plastik are all gems 

• Like 2

Do you know what.

Someone convinced me to listen to this and it's not as bad as I expected. The piano is more classical than jazzy which is a shame but it sounds like the soundtrack to a Nordic crime drama. 

Reminds me a bit of some of Francesco Tristano's piano/electronic stuff.

Was hoping for more of a Metallica Lulu disaster, but this ain't it.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/2/2022 at 12:58 AM, nikisoko said:

consumed is one of my favorite records of all time. this thing is terrible tho

Yeah this. Does not work at all for me