IGNORED

Incunabula vs Amber

watmmisdead

Amber has so much more atmosphere and is so much more memorable imo. It might sometimes even be my favorite ae album overall.

Edited by thumbass
  • Like 1

I liked Incunabula more when I was younger but at some point it shifted to Amber. I think Incunabula is more immediate and fun but Amber is a deeper, more rewarding experience and has better standout tracks (Piezo especially)

Both are probably my least favorites of the overall discography but I do love them

• Like 2

Can’t pick one. Both have their moments. But strangely, I like Incunabula better as an album, and yet Amber has the better individual tracks. It’s just that as an album, Amber isn’t varied enough. Or, to try to put more confusion into my comment: Amber is better, but Incunabula is the better album. Got it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Im surprised just how divided the answers are. I was certain Amber would be the clear favorite!

the last minute of Doctrine might be some of the best AE work ive heard so far (note: I was never a fan of autechre and its just recently ive warmed to incunabula)

If I have to pick one track from their 2 first album, Doctrine is my pick.

whats yours...

17 hours ago, scumtron said:

Amber. The first album I heard by AE, and I still remember that feeling of "this doesn't sound like ANYthing I've heard before".

Yep. Exactly the same for me. Word for word.

Amber for me, because it was already the start of them getting their sound. Incunabula is still great to me, but it's still lots of "recognizable" drum machines, synth tones, etc.

Then when Tri Repetae came out...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, beerwolf said:

Yep. Exactly the same for me. Word for word.

same could be said about incunabula...

I dont know why but I find incunabula so much more appealing vs the over polished Amber. I feel like Incunabula has the grit, the aphex aggressivness. Already Amber loses a part of what makes AE early era so unique (most importanly for the time period)

but ill give myself a few weeks to acclimate to Amber

Edited by watmmisdead
  • Like 1

Amber for sure.

not because I love Amber (but I do like it plenty). but there are few albums I would place below incunabula (other than albums by artist that are already pure garbage). It’s just not the style of music I would ever gravitate towards. Too repetitive. Almost boring. Cheese ball cringe (imo)