IGNORED

Kode9 + Burial - Infirmary / Unknown Summer

It got put up for pre order on bandcamp and bleep just now. Release date is July 21st all of a sudden. They probs changed it due to afx lol.

The snippet of the Burial track sounds really nice! Theres even a sneaky beat coming in at the end! It's up on yt now:

Edited by thumbass
  • Like 1

On 6/30/2023 at 3:32 PM, thumbass said:

It got put up for pre order on bandcamp and bleep just now. Release date is July 21st all of a sudden. They probs changed it due to afx lol.

The snippet of the Burial track sounds really nice! Theres even a sneaky beat coming in at the end! It's up on yt now:

Was!

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, Pirtek said:

I still really enjoy listening to Burial's albums.

It's a bit of a piss take to only release EPs or singles since then though. The first couple were solid sure, but since then it's honestly been pretty naff stuff for... 10+ years? Come on. 

25 minutes ago, Poimandres said:

It's a bit of a piss take to only release EPs or singles since then though. The first couple were solid sure, but since then it's honestly been pretty naff stuff for... 10+ years? Come on. 

He doesn't owe us anything tough. The releases since 2019 have been hit or miss i agree but the tunes 2011-2019 compilation is such a treat to listen to. His stylistic evolution really shines through and it feels like a real album. I'm fine with more of that.

The clips i heard for this track are very promising. Love the guitar-ish sample he uses.

Edited by thumbass
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, thumbass said:

He doesn't owe us anything tough. The releases since 2019 have been hit or miss i agree but the tunes 2011-2019 compilation is such a treat to listen to. His stylistic evolution really shines through and it feels like a real album. I'm fine with more of that.

The clips i heard for this track are very promising. Love the guitar-ish sample he uses.

For sure nobody owes us anything. But it's just interesting how some artists can maintain seemingly infinite patience and reverence, but others fall by the wayside quickly. Where I've reached now I'm interested, but not really holding much in the way of expectations with new Burial music. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, thumbass said:

but the tunes 2011-2019 compilation is such a treat to listen to. His stylistic evolution really shines through and it feels like a real album.

Yes, definitely. A really good set of tracks.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2023 at 11:46 AM, Poimandres said:

Would you feel happier if Anti Dawn was called an album? It's like 45 mins long so easily could be & some of the other eps pretty lengthy 

Would love a true "album" but love that he's still releasing stuff & love it or hate he's kept progressing...could have just kept on pumping out 2 stepy wood block beats or could have just fucked off back to his mums basement or whatever, stopped releasing music & played video games ?

So all in all I'm happy with the Burial we ended up with & excited to hear new stuff! 

• Like 2

I think with streaming the line has become blurry - lots of albums now seem to be around the 20-25 minute mark which would seem mad in the cd era. Whereas some artists want to do long EPs in order to present the work as less of a statement I guess.

I really like the newer Burial stuff but have to admit its not as exciting or envelope pushing as his 2 albums were, tho if he regressed and released a third album in that style now it would be a little stale and many people would cry foul so he can't really win.

• Like 2

Yeah agree, think he prefers releasing e.ps / singles etc as takes the pressure off him trying to follow up Untrue with an album proper.

gotta admit though do feel due a longish more beat oriented project from him, not bothered if its an album as such but would love a 30 mins plus release that's less ambient. I actually prefer kindred & rival dealer to  untrue tbh & hanker for something similar as much as I've enjoyed a lot of his ambient shit.

3 hours ago, kirm said:

think he prefers releasing e.ps / singles etc as takes the pressure off him trying to follow up Untrue with an album

I can imagine that being the case!

https://kode9.bandcamp.com/track/infirmary

Infirmary released. I already listened to the entire leak on slsk though. Love this track, Kode9 is hit or miss for me but this one is good. Very nice jazzy influence. Burials track hits home too imo. I didn't know his sound could work in a more summery setting but it does. The guitar type sample that comes in during the second half is lovely.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

i've heard the Burial track.

time-stretched vocals,  bending gossamer trance arpeggios into choral echoes.

just utter bliss. I don't know how he does it.

• Like 4

Listening to Anti Dawn rn, it’s amazing. Good memories of walking along the Hawaii shore at night the week this was released. The last 3 min. of new love have more emotional resonance for me than entire albums from other artists. 

have to remember dude is like 45, he’s probably not changing stripes at this point and you’re ok w it or you’re not. I think of it like Wes Anderson movies - if you know your lane and are really, really good at it, why change lanes?

Havent heard the new track in full and am really looking forward to it.

• Like 2

Stunning tracks from both artists. Probably the most enjoyable burial in a minute (Although I also loved the ambient stuff)

Edited by thumbass
  • Like 1