IGNORED

What ever happened to Venetian Snares?

Blir

I will say, there is an accidental/naive/noisy aspect that I miss from both Snares and Aphex in their more deliberate, intentional stuff, but something lost, something gained, things change, and I can always listen to the old stuff if that’s what I want to hear

Edited by hoggy
Superfluous space removal
  • Like 3

On 8/5/2023 at 10:31 AM, cheep_hardware said:

it's an odd thing to hear a lot of his stuff that tries to combine the tracker insanity w/singing, etc.

The singing is weird and cool, he did that even on Winter in the Belly of a Snake

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This sounds new: https://www.instagram.com/p/CQMw6P1j17P/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

give him time his cat died in 2022. There is so much great music out there currently 

This one is also great:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQHJSC4Dt7P/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

sounds much fresher then some of the stuff before 

Edited by o00o
  • Like 2

On 8/5/2023 at 3:53 PM, hello spiral said:

Hated Rossz, which seems to be everyone's favourite. It's so mallgoth I can see it wearing a nightmare before xmas backpack.

lol.

Some of VS album covers were way too edgy for me.

I liked HCCBU and Rossz. This Elgar remix track is a masterpiece, even if it is a bit "obvious":

I remember that when VS was at his peak frequency of releasing albums, there were lots of arguments here, about whether he was really any good or was he just mashing random stuff together. Was he doing really complex time signatures, or was he just taking the piss? In retrospect he was clearly very good.

I remember there was much controversy as to whether VS should become a "featured artist" here. Eventually papa relented and created the subforum, but then had to shut it down .... due to a request from Mr Aaron Funk himself. That was pretty funny.

Edited by zazen
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, zazen said:

there were lots of arguments here, about whether he was really any good or was he just mashing random stuff together. Was he doing really complex time signatures, or was he just taking the piss?

this response always seems weird to me but I guess it's like when parents say that metal is just noise, I guess because I was into Tool before I was into Snares, I was used to odd time signatures and really enjoyed them, because straight square stuff feels too boring to me most of the time - I enjoy a lot of music which has a weird rhythm

a lot of his stuff is in 7/4, and that's not really complex, it's just odd and harder to count, which I love because at the bpm he uses it means it goes by faster than you can anticipate which makes the sound hit a different part of my brain, but I still feel the groove, often because the breaks often weave around a simpler motif, or there are motifs or consistent subdivisions in the breaks

(^ 7/4 is not that weird)

(^ nice simple explanation of odd subdivisions, and this kind of thing has been around forever)

1 hour ago, zazen said:

Some of VS album covers were way too edgy for me.

That's understandable, has there ever been much of a discussion about that kind of stuff on here, and the similar themes in Aphex? I don't know how much there is to say about it, since it's presented without any context or indication of how to to understand the intent behind it, except in the context of the kind of cynical/dark humour in death metal - you know, the stuff about mangled corpses and raping nuns and stuff - that's how I understand it, or as horror (like in horror films)

Random side note: imagine if people started dancing like this at snares shows but in moshing form, omg I want to see that...

2 hours ago, zazen said:

I remember there was much controversy as to whether VS should become a "featured artist" here. Eventually papa relented and created the subforum, but then had to shut it down .... due to a request from Mr Aaron Funk himself. That was pretty funny.

he blatantly should - if Aphex and Squarepusher were da Vinci and Michelangelo, Snares is Caravaggio (I know it's a cringe analogy but I think they all are/were that talented)

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Summon Dot E X E said:

i made a recording of the serbian folk song ajde jano which is the same time signature.

ИДЕМО!!

Edited by hoggy
cyrillic
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, o00o said:

This sounds new: https://www.instagram.com/p/CQMw6P1j17P/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

give him time his cat died in 2022. There is so much great music out there currently 

This one is also great:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQHJSC4Dt7P/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

sounds much fresher then some of the stuff before 

New Speed Dealer Moms fuck yeAH!!

He's awesome. Just had the moment of help me that was a bit of a turn off. I remember working in an absolutely shit school in Hatfield uk in 2004 and he was my soundtrack on the journeys to work. He's blown my mind many a time and it totally isn't just random noise despite the fact that to the average non idm dweeb it defo is. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, aderei said:

the average non idm dweeb

I'm pretty sure that the "average non idm dweeb" is the normal one, and we are the weird ones, who like to listen to an insane noisy mess about pigeons, childkillers, doing crack and the bad weather in winnipeg, instead of nice stuff "with music in it" about love and having fun

• Like 2

I reread the vsnares joyrex exchange. In hindsight its hilariously over the top. Its like lovers arguing in couples therapy. Dude is amazing and very influential and whether he likes it or not should have got his own sub forum. Even if it insulted him. Ha!

Edited by aderei
  • Like 3

On 8/16/2023 at 3:22 PM, hma said:

found this screenshot on old hdd, vsnares message board from back in the day...vintage stuff

Vg9ScbP.png

I posted here back in the day.  Had the honour of working with some samples he put together for me as part of a chain-letter music compilation release.  Had 24 hours to take those and make a new track with it.  Only got the part because another artist dropped out last minute, and it was a track-per-day schedule.  Anyway, comp was released, so I mentioned it on the board, and he coasted in saying how much he liked it.  Definitely worth staying up until 7am to complete it.

Rossz was my introduction to Snares because it was displayed at a record store in the listening section.  Had no idea what to expect, and it was unlike anything else I'd heard at the time.  Obviously there are some similarities in the drum programming still to Aphex/SP's old drill 'n' bass stuff, but coming at it from a whole other angle.

• Like 3

On 8/6/2023 at 3:43 PM, hoggy said:

He didn't stop changing and trying new approaches, this was one thing he tried, and I think did better on My Downfall

My Downfall, Detrimentalist, and Calvacade of Glee… are his best deep jungle breaks and baroque melodies in my opinion.

*edit: + Hospitality ep

Edited by august
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, august said:

My Downfall, Detrimentalist, and Calvacade of Glee… are his best deep jungle breaks and baroque melodies in my opinion.

*edit: + Hospitality ep

All great - Hospitality and Cavalcade might be my faves of those - I love the less distorted sound palette, but being used in a really unique way. Love the others too though - I love the jazz elements in My Downfall and how they're worked into a whole composition

• Like 2