IGNORED

Squarepusher - Ultravisitor 20th Anniversary Remaster

thumbass

Ultravisitor (20th Anniversary Edition) | Squarepusher (bandcamp.com)

a1787060509_16.jpg

Releasing October 25th!

This limited one-time pressing will be available as 3LP and 2CD editions, carefully remastered from the original sources by Jason Mitchell at Loud Mastering and overseen by Tom Jenkinson. Never entirely satisfied with the sound of the original release, Tom has taken the opportunity to bring out fresh dynamics and detail in the tracks.

Bonus album Venus No.17 Maximised is compiled from material originally released as part of the Ultravisitor promo EP, the Square Window 3” CD (a free bonus disc given out with WarpMart pre-orders of the Ultravisitor album) and the Venus No.17 EP. The accompanying booklet contains photographs, posters and recording documentation from Tom’s archive.

Edited by thumbass
  • Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

• thumbass changed the title to Squarepusher - Ultravisitor 20th Anniversary Remaster

Wasn't expecting Acid Pro to be his DAW of choice, I thought he was still full hardware (and maybe some reaktor) back then. Perhaps chosen, like his brother, for his love for all things Acid-y

• Like 1

You defo feel mixed emotions when this happens, seeing so many classic records from my collections price plummet, but I have benefitted from a load of old jungle represses so it balances things up

I have a feeling this SAW2 repress is going to do huge numbers and we are in for a load of warp represses, they need it their new music is mostly pish

had a pretty terrible day, seeing this suddenly pop up in my feed definitely made it better : ) CANT WAIT! :yeah:Craig Of The Creek Yes GIF by Cartoon Network

Spoiler

the thought of Melt 14.6 (Remastered) is so fucking funny to me

• Like 2

Someone needs to tell Tom to stop with this remastering business...

His 2000s ears were some of the best in the world. Why mess with these recordings? 

''Never entirely satisfied with the sound of the original release, Tom has taken the opportunity to bring out fresh dynamics and detail in the tracks.''

He shouldnt trust his 2024 ears smashed by years of live shows touring...

theses sound crushed and lacking in detail...

Edited by thefxbip
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, thefxbip said:

Someone needs to tell Tom to stop with this remastering business...

His 2000s ears were some of the best in the world. Why mess with these recordings?

''Never entirely satisfied with the sound of the original release, Tom has taken the opportunity to bring out fresh dynamics and detail in the tracks.''

He shouldnt trust his 2024 ears smashed by years of live shows touring...

Agreed, absolutely magic sounding (the main album). The only one that I found to be a little flat (or maybe thin?) sounding during this era (only dynamics wise, the EP itself is probably my favourite release of his) was the Venus No.17 EP but I'd always assumed that was down to a cheapish mastering due to the limited run

5 minutes ago, mcbpete said:

Agreed, absolutely magic sounding (the main album). The only one that I found to be a little flat (or maybe thin?) sounding (only dynamics wise, the EP itself is probably my favourite release of his) was the Venus No.17 EP but I'd always assumed that was down to a cheapish mastering due to the limited run

Ultravisitor is perfect as it is. His best album imho.

Messing with it in any way or form is some wack George Lucas special edition BS.

About Venus no.17:

I mean doesnt Tundra 4 give you the massive goosebumps? Shit is fucking punchy and musical. Its a bit rough but its rough the same way Drukqs is rough. It just works.

Edited by thefxbip

38 minutes ago, thefxbip said:

About Venus no.17:

I mean doesnt Tundra 4 give you the massive goosebumps? Shit is fucking punchy and musical. Its a bit rough but its rough the same way Drukqs is rough. It just works.

Compositionally-wise ... abso-bloody-lutely .... mixing/eq-wise it's a little tape-muffly in comparison to the IMO crystal clear sounding main album

Saying that, I have to admit that this preview track of the new master definitely sharpens what I thought was an already immaculate sounding release:

• Like 3

Glad to get some more SP represses. Judging from the fact that huge chunks of the AFX/BoC/Ae catalogue is kept in print I thought there would be more demand and we'd have his 90s records by now but I guess this small run of one of his most lauded records will suffice. 

Not that surprised to hear he was unhappy with the final sound as I thought (while rough and characterful) it is miles better the brickwall ear fatigue era which he seems to go for in later years. Hope he isn't gonna remaster everything in that style. Anyway don't mean to be too negative, this is great news, roll on Oct.

I think he should leave Warp (and Aphex and Autechre too) and set up an indie label either separately or collectively and make a fresh start, I'm sure they'd have doubts about their own business acumen but I don't think they should, get a few of the right people on board to do that side of things and it's a winwin financially and artistically. Warp need them, they don't need Warp. As a fan of all 3 (and Warp) I'd love to see them leave and reinvigorate the shit out of themselves.

Might even stir BoC into life!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mattthegoone said:

I think he should leave Warp (and Aphex and Autechre too) and set up an indie label either separately or collectively and make a fresh start, I'm sure they'd have doubts about their own business acumen but I don't think they should, get a few of the right people on board to do that side of things and it's a winwin financially and artistically. Warp need them, they don't need Warp. As a fan of all 3 (and Warp) I'd love to see them leave and reinvigorate the shit out of themselves.

Might even stir BoC into life!

Yeah Im with u on this but don't they have some weird deal with Warp that they can never release anything with their artist name outside of Warp? 
I think they must be with Warp for life. 

1 hour ago, cern said:

Yeah Im with u on this but don't they have some weird deal with Warp that they can never release anything with their artist name outside of Warp? 
I think they must be with Warp for life. 

That's actually interesting now that you bring it up. Yeah Sean has said that any music they make as Autechre is owned by Warp, but they can do stuff as Gescom and release it seemingly wherever. I wonder if Ae was like "Hey Mike and Marcus, you should setup an alias and make Warp agree that you can release music under that name outside of your contract..."

And that's where Hell Interface comes into play. Purely speculation. Sorry to hijack a SP thread

• Like 1

Already own everything buy it was a nice announcement anyway. Made me go back to Square Window. I always remember abacus 2 as the uk garage squarepusher track lol

Also venus is prob top 3 SP tracks for me

5 hours ago, mcbpete said:

Compositionally-wise ... abso-bloody-lutely .... mixing/eq-wise it's a little tape-muffly in comparison to the IMO crystal clear sounding main album

Saying that, I have to admit that this preview track of the new master definitely sharpens what I thought was an already immaculate sounding release:

Those hi hats sound lovely. can almost taste them.