IGNORED

What video games are you currently playing?

Rubin Farr

Guest cult fiction

Re: used game sales

I think most game developers(if not always upper management) are OK with people selling their games to friends, over ebay, etc.

But the truth is, "used games" really means GameStop as it dwarfs all other methods of trade.

You buy a game for $60 from GameStop. The publisher sees at most $40 of that. The developer sees considerably less.

You play the game for 10 hours or whatever, and sell it back to GameStop for $25.

Joe X goes into GameStop, and sees a new copy of the game for $60 or a used copy for $55. He purchases the used copy. GameStop has just made $30 pure profit. You did not see that $30. The developer certainly did not see that $30.

It would be drastically better if you had just sold your game to Joe X for $25, since Joe would have $30 left over that could potentially be spent on other games.

Most studios scrape by from game to game, so it's cold comfort for someone to say that they'll "reinvest" that $25 on another game, particularly when you can bet GameStop will be using that $30 for their own purposes.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

decided to buy borderlands because it is super cheap now. Really good game, way better than expected. I think I was expecting like a shittier cell-shaded fallout 3 with more monotonous battles. Honestly feels more like playing a normal fps campaign, but with REALLY well done rpg aspects. It's a goddamn genius concept and it was pulled off really well.

decided to buy borderlands because it is super cheap now. Really good game, way better than expected. I think I was expecting like a shittier cell-shaded fallout 3 with more monotonous battles. Honestly feels more like playing a normal fps campaign, but with REALLY well done rpg aspects. It's a goddamn genius concept and it was pulled off really well.

borderlands is really fun, especially co-op. loot is addictive.

What does this have to do with video games? Do you want this moved somewhere else?

If you fix the url then you get this. He posted it from mobile so it was kind of broken.

thank you Mr Beker andriod isnt perfect yet

and yes I did get a semi after hearing GoW4 will be out this fall! It will be the shit!

Playing Path of Exile and really enjoying it, Diablo 2 style game, wonderful graphic style and hardcore combat/skill system. free to play too.

Also, ive been playing d3 over the weekend too and i actually find PoF more rewarding, its got a dark as fuck style unlike d3. Yes d3 feels like an AAA title and its polished and perfect and all that crap but it has been watered down from the hardcore games of old which is a shame but to be expected from blizzard.

What does this have to do with video games? Do you want this moved somewhere else?

If you fix the url then you get this. He posted it from mobile so it was kind of broken.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zosM9pUnWk

thank you Mr Beker andriod isnt perfect yet

and yes I did get a semi after hearing GoW4 will be out this fall! It will be the shit!

Oh - when I clicked on it it took me to an entirely diferent video, non-videogame related.

borderlands is really fun, especially co-op. loot is addictive.

Yeah, been playing with my roomate splitscreen. Kind of sucks with the menu size, but holy crap is it fun. What I really need to do is a get a tv, use my psn account to download on his machine, and then play in LAN mode on both screens, that would be better.

Yeah, super addicting, the gun variety is genius, like diablo or other games with randomized weapon traits/names/styles/stats.

I mean, it seems pretty large area maps and all. But it seems like 90% of the game is shooting enemies and getting items. The story isn't very important. There are vehicles.

I think there is less interest in designing something cool to look at and more interest in how to put the player into different challenging situations. It isn't really that much to it.

As far as the actual game, There are 4 classes, you have skill trees for each class like an rpg, with one special action that allows you to do something, and then all kinds of bonus things you can level up. You can level up weapon type proficiencies (like snipers will effect your reload speed or accuracy, for example). I think the deepest aspect is the randomized weapon generation, so deep that it actually effects the look and feel of the weapon down to individual parts and manufacturers, makes collecting fun and unique, like pokemon or something. Finding a sweet gun is exciting.

Guest AcrossCanyons

More games need good split-screen action. Borderlands was a blast to play through with my brother on a single screen.

Been well over a week and I've put two full weekends and most evenings into playing Dead Rising 2 and I'm still really fucking loving it.

Revised score: 9.1/10

Been well over a week and I've put two full weekends and most evenings into playing Dead Rising 2 and I'm still really fucking loving it.

Revised score: 9.1/10

oh wow I missed this looks incredible

Downloaded the demo for Dragon's Dogma. I've been following all the trailers and gameplay footage, it looks like this is going to be an awesome game.

Guest cult fiction

Dragon's Dogma demo is downloading. Game seems like it has HUGE potential.

Definitely heavily inspired by Demon's Souls in some aspects, check out the rift stone realm and the ethereal blue online shared NPCs:

They should hire this OXM guy to do their marketing.

I played that Dragon's Dogma demo. There are some really neat idea's in the combat system and the controls seem alright. It doesn't seem as hard as Dark Souls, but it has some of the same physicality in the combat. And the monster designs are really cool. I do not like the muddy visuals and the horrid framerate (PS3) though...

In other news, Steam and Source games might really be coming to linux (screenshots of a native L4D2 build). Valve must have some big plans with linux, a linux-based Valve console perhaps? Exciting times.

Archived