IGNORED

What TV series are you watching at moment?

Npoess

On 1/13/2021 at 5:52 PM, nikisoko said:
On 1/13/2021 at 5:12 PM, rhmilo said:

Some students made me watch Rick and Morty. Turns out to be quite amusing (except for the family drama nonsense - that’s atrocious). Really creative and the alien worlds are gorgeous.

i feel like some of the pains pointed out within the family really hit home in some weird ways, and is something that dan harmon does really well.

there's a devastating season finale i think in 2nd or 3rd season... almost got me in tears...

the good lord bird. it's based on the novel of the same name. good story telling about madness, wickedness and some lols. i haven't read anything about john brown and apparently the character in the novel is controversial for some people.. the series doesn't make him an anti-hero but embraces the idea of his behavior as a reponse to the insanity of slavery. 

The Outsider  (some kind soul remind me how to embed youtube, please)

Just binged The Outsider -enjoyable in the most - was noticeably slow paced at times but felt that added to the overall tension 

and kept it believable as it wasn't action packed just for the sake of it. 

Had not read the book, but happened to be given The Stand for Christmas. Which I was re-reading and now see that its come out as a mini-series (in the US at least) anyone seen that?

We've got 6 episodes left of The Sopranos and it has been such a fucking blast to rewatch this show. It is without a doubt my favorite show of all time.

I fucking love Tony. He's a fucking idiot on so many levels, and every time you think he's on the right path he does something completley idiotic and amoral, and no matter what I still love him. He's the best anti-hero. A boy in a grown man's body.

• Like 2

crashing (US) - good fun, despite my hate for that stand up niche...

swamp thing - bad...

the haunting of bly manor - i liked it better than the first one... this one was campy and fun, really liked the kids... still a pretty shitty show...

brave new world - can't quite remember it...

what we do in the shadows s02 - still funny...

the mandalorian s02 - it's alright...

the eric andre show s05 - literally cried...

the boys s02 - can't remember shit, and the fact that i didn't rewatch the 1st season before going into s02 didn't really help...

lovecraft country - completely lost most of the time... felt like an anthology sometimes...

flipped - shit so bad...

breeders - i need to put more tobacco...

raised by wolves - less weed?

stargirl - why?

snowpiercer - i need to lay of the drugs...

doom patrol s02 - same, should have rewatched s01 first...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Squee said:

We've got 6 episodes left of The Sopranos and it has been such a fucking blast to rewatch this show. It is without a doubt my favorite show of all time.

I fucking love Tony. He's a fucking idiot on so many levels, and every time you think he's on the right path he does something completley idiotic and amoral, and no matter what I still love him. He's the best anti-hero. A boy in a grown man's body.

I never got the hype for The Sopranos.  I was bored out of mind watching it, just felt like a soap opera in a mob setting -- too much sitting around and talking for my taste.  Tried getting into it probably 3 separate times no luck.

• Facepalm 1

The Boys (2019)

Watching The Boys (2019)
It's okay. I kinda like it. Maybe a bit overhyped though.
I do like the idea that most superheroes evolve from wanting to better the world as a child, to becoming absolute a-holes who abuse their powers once they start working for corporate, and for some only later on understanding their mistakes.
I imagine this is what would happen if there were indeed superheroes in the real world.
Power corrupts.
However, one major oversight most superhero movies/shows/comics have imo:
In a world with policing superheroes people with less-than-honourable intentions would probably figure that traditional crime is just too risky, and that cyber-crime is the best way to go... There seem to be very little Cyber-Crime Superheroes...
Just like in the real world: "Cyber-Crime already surpasses Traditional Crime, in terms of impact and monetary cost..."

10 hours ago, lyst said:

I never got the hype for The Sopranos.  I was bored out of mind watching it, just felt like a soap opera in a mob setting -- too much sitting around and talking for my taste.  Tried getting into it probably 3 separate times no luck.

Well, there isn't much to it. It's a family drama in a mob family where your strong alpha male suddenly collapses. That's basically it. But it's elevated by some of the best fucking acting I've ever witnessed and James Gandolfini was a gift for that show.

How far did you make it? To be honest, it takes at least 2 seasons to get really good and it can be hard to get the 90s hurdle in the first 2 seasons.

Another show that apparently takes two seasons to get good is Disenchantment. First season was fairly predictable fantasy Futurama, second season oafishly clawed around for an identity of its own and the third season seems to have found it. Couple of episodes in and it’s actually interesting.

And gorgeous to look at.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, rhmilo said:

Another show that apparently takes two seasons to get good is Disenchantment. First season was fairly predictable fantasy Futurama, second season oafishly clawed around for an identity of its own and the third season seems to have found it. Couple of episodes in and it’s actually interesting.

And gorgeous to look at.

i thought 1 and 2 were pretty weak... anyway s03 didn't leak yet, gonna give it a try...

23 hours ago, onecaseman said:

New season of The Expanse. The villain is not great.

Where are they upto with the series? I watched the first season, loved it, and immediately moved to the books. I havent watched any of the program since.

Spoiler

Is Duarte the evil god emperor yet?

Edited by pcock

On 1/14/2021 at 4:48 PM, Nebraska said:

large_night_stalker_poster.jpg

almost a definitive documentary about the night stalker but they somehow failed to include a few details that would've really made this next level (eg. his childhood antics, vietnam vet uncle, staying @ the cecil, his party pals) yet somehow they still managed to show too much for some

definitely good, but not as bang all as LA times claimed might would be

This was a massive disappointment. First 3 episodes are pretty slow and boring. Like you said there are much more interesting things they should of included. Instead we get the life history of a cop and how unhappy his wife was. 

On 1/19/2021 at 1:26 PM, onecaseman said:

New season of The Expanse. The villain is not great.

Inaros is a great villain; wtf

43 minutes ago, pcock said:

Where are they upto with the series? I watched the first season, loved it, and immediately moved to the books. I havent watched any of the program since.

Reveal hidden contents

The season hew pretty close to the books, and overall the series is excellent with excellent character development.

I am watching All Creatures Great and Small (2020) as I was a fan of the books and the original BBC series that aired back in '78 (yeah, I'm old)

On 1/16/2021 at 8:27 AM, beerwolf said:

This has bleeped a few times on my radar lately. Think I'm gonna give this a go. 

it's good and i like it a lot and have watched it a few times over the years. keep in mind that the writer's strike happened write in the middle of the series. so if you think "this is going off the rails" at some point that might be why.. but overall it's good and lot's of good storytelling and good moments. 

edit: currently watching Hamilton's Pharmacopeia. I've known about it long time but never checked it out. really enjoying it. 

Edited by ignatius
  • Like 2

On 1/16/2021 at 10:45 AM, Squee said:

I did my rewatch in January last year and it was so much better than I remembered and I loved it when it came out. I was 18-26 when it came out and there were so many elements I appreciate better at the age I'm at now.

What has been even more enjoyable is that the panopticon saw me do my rewatch and fed me YouTube videos/Reddit threads where everyone is keeping the meme aspects of the show alive. Seeing "he never had the makings of a varsity athlete" or "oooh Madonn" with thousands of likes just makes it that much more fun. Somebody said "Tony's breathing should have been given credit as an additional character from season 3 forward". It was sad/hilarious/artistic to watch his precipitous weight gain happen straight through. I noticed it much less in real time back in the day. 

There are more one liners and clever bits in one episode than most shows ever manage across their lifespan. David Chase is a genius and that cast is a once-in-a-lifetime combo.

Edited by xxx
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, xxx said:

I did my rewatch in January last year and it was so much better than I remembered and I loved it when it came out. I was 18-26 when it came out and there were so many elements I appreciate better at the age I'm at now.

What has been even more enjoyable is that the panopticon saw me do my rewatch and fed me YouTube videos/Reddit threads where everyone is keeping the meme aspects of the show alive. Seeing "he never had the makings of a varsity athlete" or "oooh Madonn" with thousands of likes just makes it that much more fun. Somebody said "Tony's breathing should have been given credit as an additional character from season 3 forward". It was sad/hilarious/artistic to watch his precipitous weight gain happen straight through. I noticed it much less in real time back in the day. 

There are more one liners and clever bits in one episode than most shows ever manage across their lifespan. David Chase is a genius and that cast is a once-in-a-lifetime combo.

1000%!