IGNORED

What TV series are you watching at moment?

Npoess

On 12/13/2020 at 3:00 PM, Nebraska said:

v1.dDs3OTQwNjc7ajsxODYzOTsxMjAwOzIwMjU7M

of all the cults i've heard about, this one has to be one of the most bizarre and this is a great deep dive in who and what exactly these guys were all about.

depressingly good

yeah this one was always the most fascinating to me of all the famous cults. it seems like they weren't really forced to kill themselves a la Jonestown. you can watch some of the 'exit interviews' or whatever on youtube. they all seemed so happy just days before offing themselves, some of them even said "yeah we know you're all going to say we were loons, but we want to do this, this is our choice" etc. etc......brings up an interesting moral point. who's to say what they did was wrong? 

On 12/13/2020 at 3:49 PM, Enthusiast said:

How-To-With-John-Wilson.jpg

hilarious show. solid "cringe" humor.

it seems like they weren't really forced to kill themselves a la Jonestown.

in that documentary, there is footage of them trying to recruit more members and when asked what exactly their belief is, they admit they're not sure.

applewhite, their leader, didn't have a problem if a member decided to leave. he merely thought they'd miss out on going "to the kingdom of heaven" which was more tailored to his own idea of what nirvana should be like

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Started on Star Trek: DS9 again. Hadn't seen it in ages, but it mostly holds up so far. The interplay between characters' personalities is a lot more pronounced than on the other shows before it. Except for O'Brien, they're kind of stuck there for reasons beyond their control but try to make the best of it.

Maybe it was this episode I saw as a kid that gave me an appreciation for word salad.

https://youtu.be/XU-8Mh2iHEk

(doesn't want to embed for some reason...)

• Like 2

Too Old to Die Young

2 episodes in. 2 episodes of Nicolas Winding Refn huffing his own farts. Some really great cinematography and I'm curious to see where this is going, but there's no reason these 2 episodes couldn't have been condensed into the first 30 minutes of a movie. Many of his shots linger way too long and the dialogue is painfully slow.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Frank Poole said:

Too Old to Die Young

2 episodes in. 2 episodes of Nicolas Winding Refn huffing his own farts. Some really great cinematography and I'm curious to see where this is going, but there's no reason these 2 episodes couldn't have been condensed into the first 30 minutes of a movie. Many of his shots linger way too long and the dialogue is painfully slow.

it's very slow  but i couldn't not watch  it. it's so counter to current attention spans. it's compelling in many ways and super weird creepy and ultimately brutal.  it changes.. it has chapters. it turns.. but the turns are not any less slow.  he makes the world's he portrays foreign.. sometimes inhuman.

i watched all of it and i'm glad i did. his stuff, all of it that i've seen, is like a moving photoshoot.  that probably sounds stupid since we're talking about movies which are literally moving photos.. but the lighting and the details and wardrobe.. it's all kind of intense but muted. i don't know.. it's hard to explain. 

the neon demon is like that too in some ways though is more cohesive with its subterranean LA model world and fame etc. 

• Like 1

finished Fargo season 4 yesterday. loved the way it started out and some excellent acting overall (doctor senator), but as others have said - just too many characters that watered down the plot a bit too much. I binge watched it so was able to keep track of all the names, etc., but still. also, I couldn't buy into Chris Rock's performance 100%. and the tone of the last 3 episodes felt different, probably because these had to be filmed after they came back from a covid delay, and was shot when it wasn't winter outside.

• Like 1

On 12/13/2020 at 11:00 PM, Nebraska said:

v1.dDs3OTQwNjc7ajsxODYzOTsxMjAwOzIwMjU7M

of all the cults i've heard about, this one has to be one of the most bizarre and this is a great deep dive in who and what exactly these guys were all about.

depressingly good

I'd really like to watch this, need to just see how. Bloody HBOmax though. 

On 12/29/2020 at 11:58 PM, Nebraska said:

AAAABad_70hHdP_PD6BnuDFJyHJxxOgbGzEpbk_i

great documentary about the yorkshire ripper whom i was mostly familiar with due to the track 'ripper territory'

Good series, interesting take over the usual format. Woeful policing, pretty shocking how the police presented and treated the majority of the victims. 

b650x400l.webp?key=9a4712ddfdad3cd7fea4d

not as good as the first 2 seasons but still cheesy enough to warrant a full season binge. personally i find all the characters very likable which makes me a little biased though

Watched Vikings up until almost the end of the third season (when they try to invade Paris) then just got a little bored with it all. It's done well, but there's not enough twists and turns to keep me interested. It does what it says on the tin (Vikings killing people....yawns). Then I watched a Season of Lucifer which I thought was rather funny and light hearted entertainment, but when I started the second season it got old pretty quickly, same thing repeated, so that got binned.

Folks tell me The Umbrella Factory is real good. So might check that out. I'm looking for something but not sure what it is......

Want something supernatural, mysterious, adventurous. Any recommendations please feel free.

Edited by beerwolf

On 12/30/2020 at 2:27 AM, Braintree said:

Started on Star Trek: DS9 again. Hadn't seen it in ages, but it mostly holds up so far. The interplay between characters' personalities is a lot more pronounced than on the other shows before it. Except for O'Brien, they're kind of stuck there for reasons beyond their control but try to make the best of it.

Maybe it was this episode I saw as a kid that gave me an appreciation for word salad.

https://youtu.be/XU-8Mh2iHEk

(doesn't want to embed for some reason...)

There is a fan running old DS9 episodes through a video software sharpener upscaler, takes a while day with a new RTX graphics card. 

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/314653-remastering-deep-space-nine

• Burger 1

Game of Thrones

Game of Thrones

Absolutely loved Seasons 1, 2, 3, and 4. Great writing. Actions have consequences. Intrigue.
Season 5 drags a bit, but still has some intriguing moments imo.
Season 6 has more things going on, but the writing is clearly crumbling down. Disappointing.
Season 7 is bad fan-fiction. The writing is abysmal. Plot-holes. Instant Teleportation. Good vs Evil.
Season 8 is unwatchable. So utterly awful.

?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MaartenVC said:

Game of Thrones

Absolutely loved Seasons 1, 2, 3, and 4. Great writing. Actions have consequences. Intrigue.
Season 5 drags a bit, but still has some intriguing moments imo.
Season 6 has more things going on, but the writing is clearly crumbling down. Disappointing.
Season 7 is bad fan-fiction. The writing is abysmal. Plot-holes. Instant Teleportation. Good vs Evil.
Season 8 is unwatchable. So utterly awful.

?

you know, it must have been @beerwolf's request for mysterious/supernatural/adventure recs that got me thinking about GoT again. I stopped watching after season 5 aired, and was always meaning to pick it back up again at some point. now I have hbo max for free as part of my internet service and have starred at the S6 e1 rectangle several times, but have not been able to bring myself to hit the play button. I'm aware of the fact it was negatively reviewed in the later seasons and should be prepared to be disappointed, but then again I have that "finish what you started" ethic instilled in me, so will probably end up hate watching the last few seasons.

• Like 1

Yeah I forgot I also watched Mr Robot! Season 1 was fantastic, Season 2 was serious hard work to get through. But I did. I got the feeling if I had a degree in psychology then Season 2 would of been far more interesting. But I don't, so it wasn't.

Need a bit of a rest before Season 3

Edited by beerwolf

Some students made me watch Rick and Morty. Turns out to be quite amusing (except for the family drama nonsense - that’s atrocious). Really creative and the alien worlds are gorgeous.

37 minutes ago, rhmilo said:

Some students made me watch Rick and Morty. Turns out to be quite amusing (except for the family drama nonsense - that’s atrocious). Really creative and the alien worlds are gorgeous.

i feel like some of the pains pointed out within the family really hit home in some weird ways, and is something that dan harmon does really well.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, nikisoko said:

i feel like some of the pains pointed out within the family really hit home in some weird ways, and is something that dan harmon does really well.

To each his own, of course. For me, I want to watch a show about aliens and fracturing time lines. If I want drama, I’ll grab a Bronte book. It’s better.

But that’s just me. Burp.

large_night_stalker_poster.jpg

almost a definitive documentary about the night stalker but they somehow failed to include a few details that would've really made this next level (eg. his childhood antics, vietnam vet uncle, staying @ the cecil, his party pals) yet somehow they still managed to show too much for some

definitely good, but not as bang all as LA times claimed might would be

Edited by Nebraska
  • Like 2