IGNORED

What TV series are you watching at moment?

Npoess

That whole "you're meant to hate the characters" thing is bullshit. Girls plays it straight most of the time, you're obviously expected to empathize with these people. I think lena dunham thinks highly of hannah, probably feels girls speaks to a universal

experience. And even if it were just hateable horrible people, be entertaining! Seinfeld was, so is curb and always sunny.

you hate them when they act like horrible people, you empathize and support them when they behave well and succeed... seems pretty normal for characters in drama. would be hilarious if a bunch of over 30 straight men started complaining WOW COUNT VRONSKY IS SUCH AN ENTITLED SHIT AND HORRIFIC ANIMAL ABUSER WHEN HE KICKS THAT HORSE AND HAS AN AFFAIR WITH A SIMILARLY ANNOYING AND ENTITLED MARRIED WOMAN. UGH SO UNLIKABLE WHY DO PEOPLE EVEN READ THIS.

talking about that show is really painful on this board but I'll just say this - I haven't seen a TV show that so perfectly captures a world and a cast of characters in that world, however small and annoying that world is (which it very much is) I'm not speaking for anyone but myself here but I unfortunately live in that world. the educationally privileged but not always financially successful 20-somethings in New York who love themselves and talk about themselves all the time. (like i'm doing now) the show is not a sitcom like seinfeld or curb at all - it's a (melo)drama - if you wouldn't like pride and prejudice then you wouldn't like girls (for men to like melodrama it has to be sci fi garbage or have dragons, swords and rape lol so ghey to me)

w/e I know i'm talking to the wroooong group here. at least theres hoggy

men don't need melodrama to have those things to be appreciated. I'm a big fan of Pedro Almodovar for example, his films are just funny, with great acting, and interesting characters (many of whom you wouldn't like if you met in real life, but they're fun to watch, unlike the characters of Girls, who just make you want to kick the TV screen while you're watching - not only are they unlikable, but they're dull and rarely funny).

...I also loved Rectified, which was ridiculously melodramatic.

That whole "you're meant to hate the characters" thing is bullshit. Girls plays it straight most of the time, you're obviously expected to empathize with these people. I think lena dunham thinks highly of hannah, probably feels girls speaks to a universal

experience. And even if it were just hateable horrible people, be entertaining! Seinfeld was, so is curb and always sunny.

you hate them when they act like horrible people, you empathize and support them when they behave well and succeed... seems pretty normal for characters in drama. would be hilarious if a bunch of over 30 straight men started complaining WOW COUNT VRONSKY IS SUCH AN ENTITLED SHIT AND HORRIFIC ANIMAL ABUSER WHEN HE KICKS THAT HORSE AND HAS AN AFFAIR WITH A SIMILARLY ANNOYING AND ENTITLED MARRIED WOMAN. UGH SO UNLIKABLE WHY DO PEOPLE EVEN READ THIS.

talking about that show is really painful on this board but I'll just say this - I haven't seen a TV show that so perfectly captures a world and a cast of characters in that world, however small and annoying that world is (which it very much is) I'm not speaking for anyone but myself here but I unfortunately live in that world. the educationally privileged but not always financially successful 20-somethings in New York who love themselves and talk about themselves all the time. (like i'm doing now) the show is not a sitcom like seinfeld or curb at all - it's a (melo)drama - if you wouldn't like pride and prejudice then you wouldn't like girls (for men to like melodrama it has to be sci fi garbage or have dragons, swords and rape lol so ghey to me)

w/e I know i'm talking to the wroooong group here. at least theres hoggy

Listen bitch, i like melodrama just fine. I don't find the "world of girls" worthy of my attention. Don't make that a gender thing. I read plenty of female writers who actually do what dunham is claiming to do. The difference between jane austen and lena dunham is jane austen had talent and died a kissless virgin, a regency era neckbeard who made the literary equivalent of intricate slice of life anime. And dont let me catch you calling sci fi garbage again. Final warning.

Metalocalypse - after a few years away a re-viewing has been the highlight of winter/spring transitions

every rock cliche lanced to ever more hilarious routines, all the characters rrrrrrock, the whole Illuminati side-plot, Dr Rockso & the whole cocaine/hair metal/David Lee Roth/Motley Crue send up, plus its prettys hards nots to speaks likes Toki or Swishgar (sp?) after repeateds viewings

dr_rockso_animated_gif_by_djamjr805-d39k

My annoyance with Legion has given way to straight up loving it, the foibles and idiosyncrasies are what makes it endearing, in spite of itself. They seem to be outright imitating a different director with each episode, last week was Gondry, this week was total Gilliam. I'd still like to see more of the outside world, shit, just have Jemaine Clement do a 60 narration and explain everything in his captivating voice.

My annoyance with Legion has given way to straight up loving it, the foibles and idiosyncrasies are what makes it endearing, in spite of itself. They seem to be outright imitating a different director with each episode, last week was Gondry, this week was total Gilliam. I'd still like to see more of the outside world, shit, just have Jemaine Clement do a 60 narration and explain everything in his captivating voice.

Not sure if I'm loving it per se, but definitely on board. I've accepted the non-linear dream/reality hijinx and just going along for the ride. The last half of the past episode was pretty sweet. Although, the one-eyed guy could have just smoked fools instead of running away...

First three eps of S2 of the Expanse were better than the entire first season combined. Could do with less of the Martian marines though, every scene is exactly the same. NZ chick is pissed off, one dude was born on Earth and the blonde is super racist at him, and the bald captain is stern. Don't need 20 minutes of that thanks.

First three eps of S2 of the Expanse were better than the entire first season combined. Could do with less of the Martian marines though, every scene is exactly the same. NZ chick is pissed off, one dude was born on Earth and the blonde is super racist at him, and the bald captain is stern. Don't need 20 minutes of that thanks.

Neat, really wanted to enjoy the first series but gave up on it.

Watching Hyperdrive now, BBC noughties sci-fi comedy, never watched it originally but it turns out it's reasonably funny

agreed, especially about the martians, though at least something interesting happened with them in the last episode, though I'm not sure what exactly.

the acting and dialog is as bad as it was in S1, but the plot is much faster paced now, and the political and science shit was all very good in S1 and a lot better now.

it's nice to see someone put some effort into getting the science right, and even when they do have something that makes no sense they have the decency to have a character say 'hey, this makes no fucking sense!'.

agreed, especially about the martians, though at least something interesting happened with them in the last episode, though I'm not sure what exactly.

the acting and dialog is as bad as it was in S1, but the plot is much faster paced now, and the political and science shit was all very good in S1 and a lot better now.

it's nice to see someone put some effort into getting the science right, and even when they do have something that makes no sense they have the decency to have a character say 'hey, this makes no fucking sense!'.

The plot moving at triple speed makes the hilariously bad dialogue easier to swallow, though Space Jon Snow still has less expression than Plank from Ed Edd and Eddy. That + the stunning visuals and crazy political maneuvering keeps it watchable. Actually looking forward to watching more tonight rather than feeling obligated like I did during s1, which is a nice change!

Enjoying Legion and the Expanse s2, tbqh.

Looking forward to some badass Keri Russell wigs on the Americans in a few days.