IGNORED

What TV series are you watching at moment?

Npoess

it looks like everything that Brit Marling is in is terrible, like those two pseudo science fiction films I Origins and Another Earth, will give it a miss.

Been trying quite a few TV shows lately. If a series doesn't hook me after the second episode, I don't bother with it.

Two things I've noticed about a lot of the streaming content produced now, TV Shows are like any other medium, 95% of it is just basically crap and only the rest is worth investing time in. Secondly, the nature of having say a shows that runs for 8-10 episodes means that there is a lot of time when absolutely nothing relevant is happening. TV shows take the notion of 'filler' to a whole other level.

Finally got around to The Expanse. Really well crafted sci-fi, the ideas shape the plot and allow for the politics and character drama to flow. Shame about some dodgy acting and really bad green screen.

Bong Appetit - comes off as a lot of Cali hipsters gettin stoned at dinner, but their store room is impressive

Quarry - this is excellent, great cinematography, 70s crime story, it's the guy from Prometheus but I didn't recognize him.  If you thought John Wick went off bc they killed his dog, this guy gets his woman AND his vinyl stolen by the same scumbag.  Capital offense.

Also watched the first three episodes of The OA on Netflix.

Utter rubbish. Absolutely all over the place. The narrative (if it can be called such a thing), is just a series of things that make no sense whatsoever. If this is what passes for interesting, gripping TV nowadays then I'm out.

just watched first 3. not superb but we are enjoying it- mostly because we wanna see where it goes.

Started watching third season of The Fall. Good because Gillian Anderson, but has the potential to fall into a police procedural.

Psycho infatuated teenager could be an interesting sub-plot.

it looks like everything that Brit Marling is in is terrible, like those two pseudo science fiction films I Origins and Another Earth, will give it a miss.

+1. i don't like her style so regardless of whether or not OA is good (doubtful) i'll still give it a miss and spend my 8 hours another way

b7t2XaqKvdGPUNaWIgUiZW8KAGu.jpg

amazing documentary where leah remini is trying to destroy the church of scientology by doing exacting what going clear and louis theroux's documentaries did except, she used to be a scientologist. 

Planet_of_the_Apes_DVD_Cover.jpg

this is showing on metv every sunday. so glad coz i never seen it before

b7t2XaqKvdGPUNaWIgUiZW8KAGu.jpg

amazing documentary where leah remini is trying to destroy the church of scientology by doing exacting what going clear and louis theroux's documentaries did except, she used to be a scientologist. 

what's her deal, is she like most ex-Scientologists in that she still thinks L Ron was actually on to something, and it's just a corrupted organisation now, or has she shaken off all the crazy? I remember she was on some network news interview (or maybe 'twas the BBC one) many years ago with various other Scientologists being all offended at everyone calling them on their bullshit.

Watching the new Dirk Gently with Elijah Wood. Afterwards I'll watch the older one with Stephen Mangan because it was funnier

Finally got around to The Expanse. Really well crafted sci-fi, the ideas shape the plot and allow for the politics and character drama to flow. Shame about some dodgy acting and really bad green screen.

The TV series really doesn't match up to the books, which were actually quite funny in places. Mostly the stale acting, real shame tho

Really recommend the books if you haven't read them

Watching the new Dirk Gently with Elijah Wood. Afterwards I'll watch the older one with Stephen Mangan because it was funnier

Wow thanks for mentioning those series, I had no idea.

I thought the new one was much better, a bit of a departure to the books, but didn't think the english one was very funny. New one isn't actually all that great either, but did manage to find some humour in the crazy situations.

I'm not really in it (watching the 2016 one now) for the humour  - I like the general insanity of things and am intrigued if they can make the holistic aspect of it pay off. It's pretty entertaining, whatever it is!

what's her deal, is she like most ex-Scientologists in that she still thinks L Ron was actually on to something, and it's just a corrupted organisation now, or has she shaken off all the crazy? I remember she was on some network news interview (or maybe 'twas the BBC one) many years ago with various other Scientologists being all offended at everyone calling them on their bullshit.

she has shaken off the crazy and now regards it as a business. according to her there are some useful things you learn but it's not worth the price (about $6000 per course + $800 every audition session which needs to be done about 2 hours daily minimum).

The second season of The Man in the High Castle was a lot better, slow moving, but acting was much improved, loads of great performances. Frink annoyed me most in the first season, but he was a lot better in this one. Smith's wife was great as the model Nazi house-frau. Joe was the only slightly annoying character this time, doesn't really do a whole lot, just along for the ride. Was interesting to see a potential version of the 60s Nazi counter culture, lots of sex and drugs, but no so much political rebellion.

Halfway thru westworld right now and loving it. Worth sticking it out with this show. Some tantalizing potential and a lot of great questions about things like machine consciousness.

Watched three episodes of Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency last night, it's hilarious and catchy!

Based on Douglas Adams novels.

Westworld was exactly my cup of tee, very good.  Just read season 2 probably in 2018, giving me GameOfThrones vibes, wtf

Really enjoyed Atlanta, although I dont see where it is going.

Almost finished Narcos. I really like how Wagner Moura manages to express so much with so little face expression.

Westworld was exactly my cup of tee, very good.  Just read season 2 probably in 2018, giving me GameOfThrones vibes, wtf

Really enjoyed Atlanta, although I dont see where it is going.

Almost finished Narcos. I really like how Wagner Moura manages to express so much with so little face expression.

all of those are excellent!

my fav new series this year is Atlanta, Westworld and Quarry.

people seem to be sleeping on Quarry. its just incredible.