IGNORED

"Obscure" Rephlex

joshuatxuk

I've been thinking about starting this thread for ages now. Rephlex is, at least in the grand scheme of things, quite a leftfield electronic music label. I remember especially becoming obsessed after listening to the Rephlexions compilation. It's mysterious and reclusive attributes obviously go hand-in-hand with the ways of it's artists. That said, I've quenched many of my questions and overall curiosity over the years regarding the stories and tidbits behind the "main" artists of the label: AFX, Vibert, Cylob, μ-Ziq, DMX Krew, Ceephax, Global Goon, Wisp, Bogdan Raczynski, Aleksi Perälä, etc.

Still, there's quite a few releases and signings that still puzzle me:

• Whatever happened to Sam and Valley? I suppose their signing coincided with Rephlex touring Japan in 98'?
  • Whatever happened to the Gentle People?
  • Anyone every listen to the J.P. Buckle LP? The track of his on Rephlexions was an unexpected earworm after I heard it.
  • Does anyone actually own this release? The one called 100% that consists of mailbox recordings.
  • Anyone here manage to acquire all of the Universal Indicator releases?
  • Freakwincey - I Farted...well to that I must ask why? Why the farting?
  • Who is Dave Nicholls, aka P.P. Roy? He had a mix recently posted and I recall reading that he was the one who found the original copy of Black Devil Disco Club. Other than that, I'm only aware of the two releases at Rephlex. Also, that album cover, it's in that special category of wtf!? that leaves me intrigued everytime I see it.
    R-31024-1119716476.jpg

With these potentially being answered, I might risk killing whatever mystery and intrigue Rephlex holds in my mind, but what the hell. It's all about the music, right? I also figure this thread could serve as a general discussion of all the one-off artists who been on the label, many of which I have not listened to. I'd love any recommendations of underrated Rephlex releases. I know many watmmers have more thoroughly browsed the catalog than I have.

Edited by joshuatxuk

Hey, thanks for reminding me of the Gentle People. I did not know there were remix compilations out there until I just googled now.

http://www.discogs.com/Gentle-People-I-Love-The-Gentle-People/release/2040484

http://www.discogs.com/Gentle-People-Mix-Gently/release/40983

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAViouy-4VY

:music:

Got to try to grab these.

• Who is Dave Nicholls, aka P.P. Roy? He had a mix recently posted and I recall reading that he was the one who found the original copy of Black Devil Disco Club. Other than that, I'm only aware of the two releases at Rephlex. Also, that album cover, it's in that special category of wtf!? that leaves me intrigued everytime I see it.

Could this be PP Roy new alias....

avatars-000000652947-bhz7c6-crop.jpg?4842e04

also: strange lack of Italians on your "main" artists list

Could this be PP Roy new alias....

avatars-000000652947-bhz7c6-crop.jpg?4842e04

also: strange lack of Italians on your "main" artists list

Of course! D'Arcangelo and Bochum Welt! I feel silly now, but I swear...

rightthere.jpeg

I had a feeling I was a easy peasy google search away from figuring out this question...but I'm glad I asked simply because of the pic you posted. You could of made a much warranted snarky comment instead. Thank you LUDD for your awesome response.

Besides your soundcloud tracks I'm now listening to this brilliant mix http://forum.watmm.c...4-thidiot-live/ :happy:

Edited by joshuatxuk

Posting for advice, I've only heard the AFX/Tuss/Caustic stuff on Rephlex, plus the Monolith EP. What other ESSENTIAL Rephlex records must I check out? Thanks

p - Posting for advice, I've only heard the AFX/Tuss/Caustic stuff on Rephlex, plus the Monolith EP. What other ESSENTIAL Rephlex records must I check out? Thanks

Wisp – The Shimmering Hour, Bochum Welt – R.O.B. (Robotic Operating Buddy), Jodey Kendrick – Plus Ten and Macc & dgoHn - Some Shit Saaink Edited by GRVGLTCHR

Posting for advice, I've only heard the AFX/Tuss/Caustic stuff on Rephlex, plus the Monolith EP. What other ESSENTIAL Rephlex records must I check out? Thanks

kerrier district

boku mo wakaran - bogdan

and i like the gentle people

Bochum Welt and Astrobotnia.

p - Posting for advice, I've only heard the AFX/Tuss/Caustic stuff on Rephlex, plus the Monolith EP. What other ESSENTIAL Rephlex records must I check out? Thanks

Wisp – The Shimmering Hour, Bochum Welt – R.O.B. (Robotic Operating Buddy), Jodey Kendrick – Plus Ten and Macc & dgoHn - Some Shit Saaink

Also:

D'Arcangelo - Broken Toys Corner

Edited by Candiru

Guest narkeworld

X-Asp, Chimera, Synectics, Kinesthesia, The Lisa Carbon Trio, Chaos A.D.

Edited by narkeworld

Wisp – The Shimmering Hour, Bochum Welt – R.O.B. (Robotic Operating Buddy), Jodey Kendrick – Plus Ten and Macc & dgoHn - Some Shit Saaink

kerrier district

boku mo wakaran - bogdan

and i like the gentle people

Bochum Welt and Astrobotnia.

Also:

D'Arcangelo - Broken Toys Corner

cheers, thanks!

my favorite rephlexions are :

astrobotnia series

ovuca wasted sunday

arpanet / dopplereffekt

eksel by D'arcangelo

like weather by Leila (mixed by Afx [or something] great record anyway)

cylob - unavailable on cd

cylobian susnet cylob

vatican nitez by globan goon

anything by pierre bastien

anything by pierre bastien

I think, aesthetically speaking at least, Pierre Bastien is probably the most fascinating artist on Rephlex by many many miles.